Blog Entries

Ravens OTAs underway

Let's get some football talk going on this board

Ravens QB Lamar Jackson is expected to attend OTA’s this week, per
    @sgellison

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens OTAs underway

How are the Ravens handling their left guard vacancy?

There won’t be too many position competitions for the Ravens this summer, but the team needs to settle on its starting left guard. The Ravens lost Ben Powers, a 17-game starter last season, to the Denver Broncos on the first day of free agency and never really addressed the left guard vacancy the rest of the offseason. They did use a sixth-round pick on Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu and recently signed veteran Sam Mustipher, but the former is viewed as a developmental lineman who will likely get reps at multiple positions throughout the summer, and the latter is probably best suited to compete for the backup center spot.
    Ravens coach John Harbaugh has mentioned four potential candidates to start at left guard: Patrick Mekari, Ben Cleveland, John Simpson and Daniel Faalele. However, Cleveland, who was drafted in the third round in 2021 with the expectation that he’d ultimately start, and Simpson, who started 21 games for the Las Vegas Raiders over the last three years, appear to be the most likely candidates. Mekari might be too valuable in the swing tackle/sixth offensive lineman role, and Faalele is a player the Ravens have wanted to develop as a tackle.
    There will be no starting jobs won or lost over the next three weeks, but how the reps are divided up might provide an early clue in handicapping the left guard competition.

Isn't the slot corner position also up for grabs, or am I missing someone. I forget his name, but we had a slot guy last season who tore his ACL week 1 vs the Jets. Did he sign a multi year deal or a one year?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post
    Isn't the slot corner position also up for grabs, or am I missing someone. I forget his name, but we had a slot guy last season who tore his ACL week 1 vs the Jets. Did he sign a multi year deal or a one year?
    Jeff Z

Will any of the young cornerbacks make an early statement?

The Ravens have plenty of bodies at cornerback. Yet, it still might be the team’s most unsettled position. The only lock is that perennial Pro Bowl performer Marlon Humphrey will be a starter. Whether he lines up on the outside or in the slot remains to be seen, and it probably will depend largely on the team’s confidence in its other corners.
    Otherwise, free-agent acquisition Rock Ya-Sin is a likely starter, but he’s going to have to stay healthy through the summer and make it clear that he deserves the job. Unless Marcus Peters suddenly walks through that door or the Ravens sign another veteran, they’ll need a few of their young corners to show themselves capable of holding their own in significant snaps.

Jalyn Armour-Davis and Damarion Williams, fourth-round picks last year, should get opportunities. Rookie fifth-round selection Kyu Blu Kelly may have to grow up fast. Trayvon Mullen, who started 31 games for the Raiders, figures to get an extended look. Young safeties Kyle Hamilton, Brandon Stephens and Ar’Darius Washington could factor in the slot. So, there are options. Baltimore’s decision-makers will spend the next couple of weeks evaluating whether more quality and quantity are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post
    You might be thinking of Kyle Fuller?

I was wondering a few weeks ago how he fit in, and looked him up. His contract last year was just a one-year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    You might be thinking of Kyle Fuller?

I was wondering a few weeks ago how he fit in, and looked him up. His contract last year was just a one-year deal.
    That's the guy. Could not think of his name at all

hell yes...

Good stuff RWT. I'm still hoping we add Peters at some point. If we do I'll feel pretty great about this roster. I already think it's pretty strong, but you can never have enough CBs.

@AdamSchefter
    Free-agent QB Josh Johnson, who has played for a record 14 NFL teams, is returning to the Ravens for the third time in his NFL career, per source. Johnson was with the Ravens in 2016, 2021 and now will be back again in 2023.

Blog Entries

Yes!
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

Interesting they brought in Josh Johnson.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Interesting they brought in Josh Johnson.
    let him have every preseason game snap