Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Top 200 plays in Ravens History

Re: Top 200 plays in Ravens History

There are a lot of field-goals in our top 200 list.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

The first 20 feature like 6 defensive INTs returned for TDs and none were Reed lol
    Last edited by purple_city39; 05-22-2023 at 07:00 PM.

It was amazing reliving some of those plays. Thanks for linking it.
    A few things hit me while watching it.

1) It's incredible for a relatively young 27 year old franchise to arguably have four GOAT's at their position (Lewis, Reed, Ogden & Tucker) and a couple other HoF hopefuls (Suggs & Yanda).
    We've definitely been blessed.

2) I'm not saying this is the greatest play in Ravens history, but it may be the most underrated. Play #16 - The throw from Flacco to Pitta from their own 3 yd line in OT in the Mile High Miracle game.
    So clutch and crucial. A lot of people forget because of everything else that happened in that game and the playoffs but if that play doesn't happen we almost certainly lose that game and never get past the divisional round.

3) I think watching these highlights may have changed my mind on the greatest Raven. I love Ray but Ed was so effing versatile. It's incredible to watch all the different ways he could influence and win games.

I'm watching this video in increments because of time. I'm about halfway through this video right now (at #110 during typing) and I'm realizing that the Ravens may not have had a secondary player who played for 3 or more seasons and didn't score a defensive TD.

Also it's been a ton highlights against Cincy so far. I know we play them twice a year, but there haven't been many against Pittsburgh at all unless some just didn't register in my mind. I think we have more highlights against the Broncos than the Steelers

6. Re: Top 200 plays in Ravens History

Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post
    I'm watching this video in increments because of time. I'm about halfway through this video right now (at #110 during typing) and I'm realizing that the Ravens may not have had a secondary player who played for 3 or more seasons and didn't score a defensive TD. [snip]
    Brandon Carr and Gary Baxter both played three full seasons without scoring (Carr requires an asterisk because he technically started every game, but played only approximately half the snaps toward the end of his final season). Fabian Washington played parts of three seasons (12, 10, 14 with 8 starts) without scoring as well. Kim Herring (15 games with 4 starts, 7 starts, 16 starts, and 16 starts) just barely falls short of the three season requirement.

The players that have scored (in no particular order): Reed, Humphrey, Young, Clark, McAlister, Smith, Woodson, Landry, Chad Williams, Peters, Hill, Langham, Leonhard, Prude, Sanders, Starks, Weddle, Cary Williams, Wilson. Corey Graham also had a pick six in the playoffs (which I believe is the only defensive score by a player not already on the list).

Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post
    Also it's been a ton highlights against Cincy so far. I know we play them twice a year, but there haven't been many against Pittsburgh at all unless some just didn't register in my mind. I think we have more highlights against the Broncos than the Steelers
    This is interesting, and I may go back and do a tally. I initially thought any perceived difference would make sense due to having more success against PIT (24-30 RS, 1-3 playoffs), but that turns out not to be true (28-26 RS, 0-1 playoffs).
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    Brandon Carr and Gary Baxter both played three full seasons without scoring (Carr requires an asterisk because he technically started every game, but played only approximately half the snaps toward the end of his final season). Fabian Washington played parts of three seasons (12, 10, 14 with 8 starts) without scoring as well. Kim Herring (15 games with 4 starts, 7 starts, 16 starts, and 16 starts) just barely falls short of the three season requirement.

The players that have scored (in no particular order): Reed, Humphrey, Young, Clark, McAlister, Smith, Woodson, Landry, Chad Williams, Peters, Hill, Langham, Leonhard, Prude, Sanders, Starks, Weddle, Cary Williams, Wilson. Corey Graham also had a pick six in the playoffs (which I believe is the only defensive score by a player not already on the list).

This is interesting, and I may go back and do a tally. I initially thought any perceived difference would make sense due to having more success against PIT (24-30 RS, 1-3 playoffs), but that turns out not to be true (28-26 RS, 0-1 playoffs).
    Ok first, I give you credit for finding or doing that research.

Also, it's my mistake but I should have said full time starter for 3 years or more. I wasn't considering players that weren't full time starters when I posted. My apologies. Still, it's a short list

Boller's two deflected passes for TD's against the Panthers had me cracking up.

Also, Mason was a beast/warrior. Forgot about his separated shoulder. Loved that dude.

So I'm still watching this:

#87, the Corey Redding TD. I remember yelling at my tv when Suggs forced that fumble and everybody just stood around the ball for like a solid 10 seconds before Redding picked it up and strolled into the endzone. It was a freaking playoff game and damn near nobody on either team was playing to the whistle.

Seeing Randy Hymes and Travis Taylor highpoint multiple contested catches makes me mad. Might be their only career highlights lol

Mark Clayton with 2 tipped passes for TDs in the same game

MaGahee had one of the meanest stiff arms (#59)

Looks like from #50 on, it's about "plays" and entire events.

The Steve Smith stiff arm to, I think, Pacman Jones was legendary

The top 30 were all amazing. The top 3 are legendary. I've had this reply open for a few hours now lol. I'm done

In order of importance

1. Joes Mile High miracle to Jacoby Jones in the Denver superbowl run game

2. 4 th and 29 (Joe to Ray Rice) in the San Diego game of 2012

3. Sam Koch's 12 second safety in the Superbowl

4. JT's 66 yare field goal

11. Re: Top 200 plays in Ravens History

Need to do some checking before I go into more detail, but of the 200 plays:
    1. CIN - 25
    2. PIT - 18
    3. CLE - 15 (this is the most surprising to me)
    4. TEN - 14
    5. DEN - 11
    6. OAK - 10

There is at least one play against every team (TB, CHI only have 1 each), and a play against every iteration of every team except LV (1 game) and the Houston Oilers (2 games). No season has fewer than 2 plays (2005 and 2016 only have 2 each). Unsurprisingly, 2012 (19) and 2000 (15) have the most, with surprise contention from 2008 (14), 2020 (13), and 2003 (13).

The poster notes in their description that they're largely handicapped by the availability of video. I'll get into that more when/if I share a deeper analysis, but I suspect there are quite a few plays that couldn't be included because the poster couldn't find video. I've begun a list on my own, but I'll flesh it out with more detail later:
    • Qadry Ismail's 3 TD quarter at PIT (1998)
    • Ed Reed's pick six off LaMont Jordan at NYJ (2004, TD nullified due to Demps penalty)
    • Yamon Figurs (!!) diving TD catch at HOU (2008)
    • Ray Rice's Q4 at MIN (2009)
    • Ed Reed FF on Knowshon Moreno vs DEN (2009)
    • Flacco 5 TD half at TB (2014)

Beyond that, a number of players have surprising few appearances: Jamal Lewis, Shannon Sharpe, Anquan Boldin, and I'm sure a few more.

For the curious, here's the spreadsheet I created tracking everything: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Blog Entries

Gotta watch, but a question, I think the greatest thrill for me was the back to back TD runs setting then re-setting the longest TD runs at Dallas old stadium in the cowboys final game there.
    Willis and Le'Ron, not Rice

Did both runs make it? The fact they were back to back gotta be exceptionally special.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old