Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: Ravens Meet with Former Bears OL Sam Mustifer

I said earlier in this thread I thought they could do better...I know he's a backup, but backups play and this guy stinks IMHO...he's a bad backup.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Here comes the, "dude is trash" crew of NFL analysts.

As if any of us knows shit other than the two or three comments they read somewhere. Or some video clip that made a guy look bad (like that clip of Hamilton getting burned in practice when we was trying out a fake jam move, and then everyone jumped to, "there you go...that guy sucks")

If you tell me you've scouted Mustifer and independently graded him as a bad lineman...I'll tell you you're a liar.

That all said, there are definitely some negative comments out there by Bears fans, or PFF, or others. I get it.

Does that mean he will be trash? Maybe.

But the dude also 40 NFL starts. And not one of you sad sacks as had one. That doesn't mean you can't express an opinion, but maybe we just wait and see if the guy can carve out a role as a an eighth OL this year? I mean, if you open your mind a crack and let some light in, we have seen examples of offensive linemen developing.

If he's a bad as so many people here are saying, he'll be gone by August. No big deal.

If not, then maybe it will be a lesson in not jumping to conclusions base on reading a handful of snippets.

I can remember reading the majority opinion on this very board, for three years in fact, that Jason Jenson was "trash." And then it was Ben Powers. And more.

That didn't age well, did it?
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post

As if any of us knows shit other than the two or three comments they read somewhere. Or some video clip that made a guy look bad (like that clip of Hamilton getting burned in practice when we was trying out a fake jam move, and then everyone jumped to, "there you go...that guy sucks")

If you tell me you've scouted Mustifer and independently graded him as a bad lineman...I'll tell you you're a liar.

That all said, there are definitely some negative comments out there by Bears fans, or PFF, or others. I get it.

But the dude also 40 NFL starts. And not one of you sad sacks as had one. That doesn't mean you can't express an opinion, but maybe we just wait and see if the guy can carve out a role as a an eighth OL this year? I mean, if you open your mind a crack and let some light in, we have seen examples of offensive linemen developing.

If he's a bad as so many people here are saying, he'll be gone by August. No big deal.

If not, then maybe it will be a lesson in not jumping to conclusions base on reading a handful of snippets.

I can remember reading the majority opinion on this very board, for three years in fact, that Jason Jenson was "trash." And then it was Ben Powers. And more.

Jason Brown or Ryan Jensen because it was both, and both turned out to be something…,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Chester
    "That's what."
    — She

So...we didn't play in the NFL so our opinion means shit? Is this only for when we think a player isn't good or does it also apply when we think a player is good? What are the rules for giving opinions here? Someone please let me know?
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I might not want to go into the season with Mustifer @ starting Center, but as Shas pointed out, he does have 40 games starting for the Bears. Remember, we lost Trystan Colon (to the Jets) so the Ravens wanted an OL with starting Center experience. I guess our O-line Jack-of-All-Trades, Mekari, is slated to be the 1st guy off the bench... Bc

So we signed Mustifer for depth. I think it was a good signing in case something happens to Linderbaum(hopefully he stays healthy).
    We have Stanley, Moses, Zeitler, and Linderbaum. We got Cleveland, Ross, and Faalele battling for the other OG spot. Our OL should be set.
    We have Mekari, Faalele, Ross or Cleveland for depth at OT and OG. Now we have Mustifer at C.
    We just drafted Lalu and Voorhees for the future so we should have added depth in the future.
    In addition if something happens during the off season we can trust EDC to add someone if we have a need.

Blog Entries

Question Re: Ravens Meet with Former Bears OL Sam Mustifer

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    So we signed Mustifer for depth. I think it was a good signing in case something happens to Linderbaum(hopefully he stays healthy).
    We have Stanley, Moses, Zeitler, and Linderbaum. We got Cleveland, Ross, and Faalele battling for the other OG spot. Our OL should be set.
    We have Mekari, Faalele, Ross or Cleveland for depth at OT and OG. Now we have Mustifer at C.
    We just drafted Lalu and Voorhees for the future so we should have added depth in the future.
    In addition if something happens during the off season we can trust EDC to add someone if we have a need.
    Dale, maybe I'm missing something, but who is this "Ross" you wrote about? We have a UDFA, Josh Ross, but he's an ILB. Please explain, thanks... Bc

Edit : Do you mean UDFA Tykeem Doss (OT, Southern Mississippi)?
    Last edited by BcRaven; 05-17-2023 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    So...we didn't play in the NFL so our opinion means shit? Is this only for when we think a player isn't good or does it also apply when we think a player is good? What are the rules for giving opinions here? Someone please let me know?
    '

But the dude also 40 NFL starts. And not one of you sad sacks as had one. That doesn't mean you can't express an opinion, but maybe we just wait and see if the guy can carve out a role as a an eighth OL this year?
    Maybe I should have bolded that part for you. Or did you just skim what I wrote?

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. I never said you couldn't express your opinion. I merely said, when all someone can contribute is, "that guy is trash," particularly when said player hasn't even put on a Ravens uniform yet, and I'm pretty sure no one on this board has actually scouted the guy, I don't think it's contributing much to the thread. I don't take much stock in these comments because I've read them for years about players who turned out to be a lot better than trash, as I pointed out.

But hey, that's just my opinion. Maybe I should have consulted with you on the rules for giving opinions. Didn't realize we weren't allowed to call out what we consider dumb comments.
    "That's what."
    — She

'

Maybe I should have bolded that part for you. Or did you just skim what I wrote?

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. I never said you couldn't express your opinion. I merely said, when all someone can contribute is, "that guy is trash," particularly when said player hasn't even put on a Ravens uniform yet, and I'm pretty sure no one on this board has actually scouted the guy, I don't think it's contributing much to the thread. I don't take much stock in these comments because I've read them for years about players who turned out to be a lot better than trash, as I pointed out.

But hey, that's just my opinion. Maybe I should have consulted with you on the rules for giving opinions. Didn't realize we weren't allowed to call out what we consider dumb comments.
    I didn't write a 5 paragraph post about how we didn't play in the NFL and all that nonsense. I posted a 2 or 3 sentence post on my opinion and then got a diatribe about how we shouldn't say players aren't good or whatever. I'm good.

My opinion is he stinks. I am not of the opinion that you don't punt on quality backups and I think there are better guys out there for that. If I'm wrong or he doesn't play, then like I have many other times, I will admit I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I didn't write a 5 paragraph post about how we didn't play in the NFL and all that nonsense. I posted a 2 or 3 sentence post on my opinion and then got a diatribe about how we shouldn't say players aren't good or whatever. I'm good.

My opinion is he stinks. I am not of the opinion that you don't punt on quality backups and I think there are better guys out there for that. If I'm wrong or he doesn't play, then like I have many other times, I will admit I was wrong.
    For the record, I wasn't even responding to your post. I was responding to the seven word post from Ravensblitzkrieg.

But also generally to others who like to express similarly hit and run comments...on this thread or on similar threads over many years whenever a backup, developmental player is hanging around the back end of the roster.

But clearly you took offense. I get it. No one wants to feel censured. Sorry. I'll censure myself instead, move on, and try to stick to Tweet-sized thoughts going forward.
    "That's what."
    — She

For the record, I wasn't even responding to your post. I was responding to the seven word post from Ravensblitzkrieg.

But also generally to others who like to express similarly hit and run comments...on this thread or on similar threads over many years whenever a backup, developmental player is hanging around the back end of the roster.

But clearly you took offense. I get it. No one wants to feel censured. Sorry. I'll censure myself instead, move on, and try to stick to Tweet-sized thoughts going forward.
    We're cool Shas.