Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ravens Meet with Former Bears OL Sam Mustifer

We've been talking about the secondary and edge rushers since the draft. Looks like the Ravens are thinking about the offensive line.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/20...-sam-mustipher

The Bears declined to extend an RFA tender to Sam Mustipher in March, sending the four-year veteran to unrestricted free agency. The two-season starter has remained unattached beyond the compensatory deadline.

One team that traditionally shows regular interest in post-draft free agents — which do not count against the following year’s compensatory formula — has Mustipher on its radar. The Ravens brought in the former Bears starting center for a recent visit, Jeff Zrebiec of The Athletic notes (subscription required)....

hicago had planned for ex-Green Bay starter Lucas Patrick to replace Mustipher at center last season, but Patrick dealt with multiple injuries and only managed five starts. This kept the door open for Mustipher, a Notre Dame product. The 332-pound snapper started 33 games over the past two years, not missing a contest during this run. Pro Football Focus graded Mustipher poorly in 2021 but viewed him as a middle-of-the-pack starter among centers last season, one in which the Bears led the NFL in rushing.

The Ravens have lost multiple interior O-linemen this offseason, seeing Ben Powers join the Broncos hours into the legal tampering period and backup Trystan Colon-Castillo sign with the Jets. The team drafted two late-round O-linemen — Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu (Round 6) and Andrew Vorhees (Round 7) — but a veteran interior presence would make sense. Vorhees, who suffered a torn ACL at the Combine, is unlikely to play this season. Veteran Patrick Mekari remains on the roster, but the versatile player also serves as Baltimore’s backup tackle. The loser of the Ben Cleveland–John Simpson left guard competition would also represent interior depth, but the Ravens appear on the lookout for a Tyler Linderbaum backup.

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens Meet with Former Bears OL Sam Mustifer

Big boy for a center

This is a signal that they view Mekari as a swing tackle only

Apparently a native of Owings Mills.
    9 OL is a pretty normal number for a roster, so that’s 5 plus Mekari, Fa’alele, Simpson and this guy, putting Sala on the PS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bears Twitter hates this guy.

2022 was apparently his best season. He played 1020 snaps, allowed 4 penalties and 2 sacks, and was graded 63.4 on PFF which is average for them. Since he started 16 games, PFR gives him an AV of 8. Also he is credited with two botched snaps for -14 yards.

There are quite a few interior OL left on the market as it turns out. If any of them are willing to sign onto the end of the roster they could be a nice depth piece.

A.J. Cann (31)
    Tom Compton (34)
    Pat Elflein (28)
    Max Garcia (31)
    Gabe Jackson (31)
    Ben Jones (33) - Jets trying to sign him
    Billy Price (28)
    Justin Pugh (32) - recovering from ACL
    Dalton Risner (27)
    Chase Roullier (29)
    Rodger Saffold (34)
    Michael Schofield (32) - remember him?
    Trai Turner (29)
    Matt Skura (30) - would be an interesting reunion
    Greg Van Roten (33)

All of these guys have started games, although many of them struggled. The advantage that Mustipher has is that he is younger than any of these people.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    Bears Twitter hates this guy.

The Bears must too since they decided not to give him a RFA tender

Blog Entries

I’d guess kicking the tires. We can give a higher base for PS signing , do I’d view this as due diligence. Mekari can center in a pinch but Tristan was the back- up. Don’t expect much to happen anytime soon. After all we cut Mason’s replacement to take a flyer.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

I get why, but I really wish we found a way to keep Colon. I'm not a fan of Mustipher. I'd maybe kick the tires back on Skura.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

What’s his experience at guard? That’s where he would be asked to play

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    What’s his experience at guard? That’s where he would be asked to play
    I don't think there would be any intention of him starting...pure backup. He's not good.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't think there would be any intention of him starting...pure backup. He's not good.
    He's average, which is about what one should expect. He goes in at guard, there shouldn't be a huge drop off. There shouldn't be much of a drop-off at center either, if we're being honest. Linderbaum gave up three sacks last year and had six penalties.

I'm not expecting Mustipher to come in and be a starter. It's just that this is the kind of moves good teams should make. Solid depth for a couple of years, and maybe move on, but he's young enough that there could be some serious growth.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock