Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: International Games -- What's your view?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Well, this is close to going over to Politics but let me say this.

It is NOT utterly appropriate, it is completely inappropriate.
    THIS. This right here is political.

If you want to have the discussion, we can have the discussion. If not; then the moderation is biased and political. Right-wing views get to be trumpeted. Disagreeing with them is labeled "political", or "attempting to hijack the thread" or whatever.

And I totally think the wise thing to do is to let the subject drop. But be aware that you've already put it into the political. And you're trying to label that as "objective". That's nonsense.

Well, this is close to going over to Politics but let me say this.

It is NOT utterly appropriate, it is completely inappropriate. If your job is to be in front of the public in anyway they as customers have a right to expect NOT to have politics shoved in their faces, especially when looking for entertainment.

Let me ask, does this appropriateness extend to the waiter at your favorite restaurant? How about the dude at the Royal Farms ringing up your chicken? The plumber that comes to your house? You are being paid by a consumer for some service or product. You do not have the right, nor is it appropriate, to use their time and the product they are paying for to shove your politics into their face.

As for your contention this is some kind of racism, puh-lease. People can hold the position I do and not be racists. The Dixie Chicks ran into a similar issue when they decided to shove politics at their audience. Was racism involved in that? Of course not. Try connecting those dots.

Sorry that is a bit harsh but I am sick and tired of having the race card played on me when it does not apply at all.
    Thank you! And it’s not harsh. He can’t win a debate so he throws around a label that is so terrible it is meant to only shut up the other side. More people need to speak up about how intellectually weak this mentality is.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    THIS. This right here is political.

If you want to have the discussion, we can have the discussion. If not; then the moderation is biased and political. Right-wing views get to be trumpeted. Disagreeing with them is labeled "political", or "attempting to hijack the thread" or whatever.

But you've already put it into the political. And you're trying to label it as "objective". Nonsense.
    What? Do you read and comprehend English?

Let me go back and re-assemble the takes because I think you confused what I was calling appropriate and inappropriate.

You posted this:

If you guys want, we can get into the whole discussion about why that completely peaceful form of protest was utterly appropriate, and how the criticism of it is a not-very-subtle form of racism.
    I was responding to that. The protest was NOT appropriate, it was, under the circumstances, completely inappropriate as the rest of my post, which you omitted, clearly was talking about.

Now you may have gotten confused by what I was and was not calling appropriate and maybe that is on how I worded it, hopefully this clears that up.

This is political because politics are being discussed, not because of which side is doing the discussion. I have moved plenty of takes by people I agree with. I just deleted a take I agreed with because there was some issue with it.

Now, where did I label my take as objective? What's nonsense is you claiming I did so. I admit, my take is completely subjective. Just like yours.

What? Do you read and comprehend English?
    Not really. It's a huge struggle for me.

I have moved plenty of takes by people I agree with. I just deleted a take I agreed with because there was some issue with it.
    Well, okay then.

The protest was NOT appropriate, it was, under the circumstances, completely inappropriate
    Of course it was appropriate.

What do you think they were protesting?

I just noticed we got moved to another forum!

Makes sense.

I just noticed we got moved to another forum!

Makes sense.
    Some people tried to make it political. Epic fail as if they are so upset why are they on a Ravens forum 6 years later? Go watch a Rodeo or Monster Trucks.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Well, okay then.

I don't care what they were protesting (that includes messages I might agree with). When people are showing up for one thing, particularly when they are the customer, they do not want political messages shoved in their faces. Whether I agree or not with the message, a place of business intended to offer some product or service to a customer is no place for one to protest or in any way overtly push a message of any kind, that is unless the product is that message.

I watch NFL football to be entertained. I do not watch if for political messages. As a consumer I should be able to expect my product without someone else's political views shoved into my face, whether I agree with them or not.

Now if these players want to demonstrate and speak on these things outside of the playing field have at it. I support a number of musicians and writers that I do not agree with politically because their concerts and books do not involve direct political messages. But they do, outside of these venues, make their politics known and that's fine. They do so at political rallies and such, often playing the same songs I pay to hear at a concert. But that is the purpose of that gathering.

A song or book might have a message embedded in and that's fine. Much like I have no issue with the messages on the backs of NFL helmets this isn't an overt demonstration that takes away from the product.

It just isn't the place for it. And in any case, it's a waste. These kneelings changed zero or near zero minds on the subject. The only thing it did was get some to say "right on" and piss off others. Nobody came away from those demonstrations thinking it was something to ponder. And you know why? Because a political exchange or demonstration was not what they were there for.

If you guys want, we can get into the whole discussion about why that completely peaceful form of protest was utterly appropriate, and how the criticism of it is a not-very-subtle form of racism.

Or we can leave off the topic entirely, as political and not fit for this board. Whichever you guys want.

Over time, mods here have had a tendency to be quick to label any expression of opinion that leans liberal as "political", and hand out warnings / delete posts / etc for it. But very slow & lenient when it comes to opinions that lean right. The moderation itself has had a tendency to be biased and political. Something to be conscious of, if one is moderating.
    I would love to have the conversation about the appropriateness of it. Completely inappropriate as greg has already pointed out. They were there to entertain. Not espouse their political views. I dont want my waiter lecturing to me about using a straw because he or she is worried that we are killing the planet. I want them to bring me my Diet Coke. You can go protest environmental issue on your own time.
    Especially troublesome as other poster’s pointed out was doing it on foreign soil. Utterly disgraceful. And that is something that should be well understood. It was SOP for presidents and senators, foreign officials, Democrats and Republicans, to never criticize the US when on foreign soil.

Well, okay then.

They were protesting the Orange man telling them what they should or shouldn’t be doing as football players.

Quote Originally Posted by joedirt View Post
    And like any of us would care. The games sell out. If they are such snowflakes and stop watching others will gladly take their seats.
    So its impossible to disagree with an action and still be a fan - gotcha....
    "Once a Raven, always a Raven" - Q

W
    clearly
    "Once a Raven, always a Raven" - Q

Quote Originally Posted by working_man View Post
    clearly
    But hey, it’s easy to toss around claims of thinly veiled racism…. Especially when it had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk