View Poll Results: Would you accept the Colts' trade offer for Lamar of 2023 1st & 2nd Rounders was the top offer o

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

58 68.24%
  • No

27 31.76%
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: IF the Colts' final offer for Lamar was 1st (#4) & 2nd (#35) round picks this year, would you take it?

No.

When Lamar comes down off his asinine contract demands we'll get way more.

If EDC settles for this or even less he should be thrown from the building.

Re: IF the Colts' final offer for Lamar was 1st (#4) & 2nd (#35) round picks this year, would you take it?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Humphrey View Post
    If you think this is an appropriate trade for Lamar you need to stop watching football because you just don’t understand what’s going on.

It’s clear that the Ravens are willing to match just about any contract offered to Lamar (even a fully guaranteed one). They just don’t want to be the team that offers him said contract.

If the Ravens were willing to trade Lamar for a first and a second he would have already been dealt. I’ve been highly critical of EDC, but the one lane he dominates is the trade market. No way he’s trading a unanimous MVP for that haul.
    A team that really wants Lamar and will pay him $230M+ guaranteed doesn't have to worry about the Ravens matching unless they go the offer sheet route. They can bypass all of that by calling EDC and proposing a direct trade subject to Lamar agreeing to the money terms. We all have no idea whether anyone has contacted the Ravens about a trade but if there is a lack of interest, the fear of matching an offer sheet is a red herring.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Well this is short-sighted. A pick at 34 is much closer to a low first rounder than a mid or low second rounder. A 4 overall is incredibly valuable and if traded back is worth a few first rounders by itself, at least.
    A looked at every pick over 20 NFL drafts and determined that

17% Didn’t Play for the Team That Drafted Them

37% Considered “Useless”

15% Considered Poor

11% Considered JAGs

12% Considered Good - mainly players that played a significant amount of games, but this group does not have any AllPro/ProBowl level guys

7% Great - Hall of Very Good (think Matt Birk)

1% Legendary

The draft is a notorious crap shoot. I’m not trading an elite top level QB for a first and a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    A team that really wants Lamar and will pay him $230M+ guaranteed doesn't have to worry about the Ravens matching unless they go the offer sheet route. They can bypass all of that by calling EDC and proposing a direct trade subject to Lamar agreeing to the money terms. We all have no idea whether anyone has contacted the Ravens about a trade but if there is a lack of interest, the fear of matching an offer sheet is a red herring.
    Matching the offer is not a red herring it’s literally why no one has offered him a contract.

If a team wants to bypass the offer sheet then they by definition HAVE to offer more than two first round picks. Why would the Ravens take LESS than that when the trade compensation is so explicitly defined in the CBA for franchise tagged players?

You’re ignoring the fact that the Ravens will match any contract offer. If Lamar was a true UFA … he would have been signed within the first ten minutes of the legal tampering period.

It’s not about the two days to offer him a contract. There is a five day matching period that follows. The probability of the Ravens not matching was low. As a GM why am I going through all that trouble just for the Ravens to match? In that scenario I NEITHER get the DT/MLB/WR/etc.to improve my team OR Lamar Jackson.
    There are no transaction costs or opportunity costs for any team negotiating a deal with Lamar, so if you want him and don't pursue him you are grossly incompetent. The Ravens matching a potential offer is transactionally the same thing as a 3d team just outbidding you for Lamar, so unless you thought Lamar would have absolutely no market, which would seem to indicate he's not the franchise-changer a covetous GM thinks, why wouldn't you negotiate with him regardless of what the Ravens do?

Amazing how some fans try to rationalize the lack of interest in Lamar as this amorphous conspiracy theory about front offices fretting about a matching offer, like these teams don't negotiate deals with far lesser players in free agency only to see that player sign elsewhere. Why isn't this fundamental illogic obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by bmore finest View Post
    Gonna say hell No to that trade. A 1 and 2. No thanks.
    If trading I want a haul , LJ is a superstar in the Nfl. You giving me 5 to 6 picks.

And I’m stubborn, i will only answer for Houston. They have exactly what i want
    If i was Houston i would buy LJ and still have picks to build with. Can trade for Hopkins back to reunite with Ryans.

A first 2 or 12 ithink
    Second round
    Fourth round
    Both First next year
    Maybe a third next year too

That’s worth it to ravens in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You have a better chance of seeing Jesus riding a unicorn than a team trading that much for Lamar.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

A looked at every pick over 20 NFL drafts and determined that

17% Didn’t Play for the Team That Drafted Them

37% Considered “Useless”

15% Considered Poor

11% Considered JAGs

12% Considered Good - mainly players that played a significant amount of games, but this group does not have any AllPro/ProBowl level guys

7% Great - Hall of Very Good (think Matt Birk)

1% Legendary

The draft is a notorious crap shoot. I’m not trading an elite top level QB for a first and a second.
    Well that sounds like a good comparison. 1/7th of the picks are first rounders, 4/7ths day 3 picjks.

And that includes some notoriously poor drafting teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Drake View Post
    There are no transaction costs or opportunity costs for any team negotiating a deal with Lamar, so if you want him and don't pursue him you are grossly incompetent. The Ravens matching a potential offer is transactionally the same thing as a 3d team just outbidding you for Lamar, so unless you thought Lamar would have absolutely no market, which would seem to indicate he's not the franchise-changer a covetous GM thinks, why wouldn't you negotiate with him regardless of what the Ravens do?

Amazing how some fans try to rationalize the lack of interest in Lamar as this amorphous conspiracy theory about front offices fretting about a matching offer, like these teams don't negotiate deals with far lesser players in free agency only to see that player sign elsewhere. Why isn't this fundamental illogic obvious?
    You’re missing the entire point. Why would I as the GM of another team … negotiate Lamar Jackson’s contract for the Ravens? It’s a LITERAL waste of time.

Minimum requirement - Trade two first round picks. There is no scenario where Lamar switched teams and the Ravens get less than two first round picks for him, none.

There are only TWO ways I’m acquiring Lamar as an opposing GM and both scenarios have the aforementioned minimum requirement …

Option One - I have to offer Lamar the largest AAV AND guaranteed QB contract in league history. Ravens don’t match, I send my two firsts.

Option Two - I have to offer Lamar a significant contract AND trade additional draft compensation to ensure the Ravens don’t match the offer sheet.

It’s like one of us trying to grab dinner with Ray Lewis. Do we lose anything by contacting him and asking him to come to dinner? No. Is anything going to come from that? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Well that sounds like a good comparison. 1/7th of the picks are first rounders, 4/7ths day 3 picjks.

And that includes some notoriously poor drafting teams.
    The first round represents 14% of the total drafted players. If I’m trading an elite, at worst top ten QB in the league I need a haul of selections. Draft is a crap shoot … at least give me more bites at the bullet.

Yea I’ll take anything at this point. Hopefully oZZIE can salvage the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Drake View Post

You are being logical. That's not allowed here.

Just because you typed all of this out doesn’t make it true. The board has turned into a bitching community. As Harbaugh said in his presser the other day … this is business. Both sides are doing everything in their power to get the best deal possible for themselves. Two first round picks are not a deterrent for NFL teams to acquire a unanimous MVP who is 26.

What’s lost in all of this is that Lamar cancels out one of those first round picks. EDC said in his presser, “I have to keep reminding myself that Roquan is our second round pick.” Similarity … Lamar would just be the acquiring teams first round pick. If Lamar Jackson as he is today was theoretically put into the draft he would be drafted first overall.
    Not if he had a $45million/yr price tag which is exactly why all the teams who need QB's and have a top 10 pick are happily drafting a QB, and exactly why the market for Lamar has been nonexistent.