Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: If Stafford was making Lamar's contract demands, how would you handle it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    They also set up him having a stake in the Royals.
    They just got him the introduction since the guy who was buying the Royals was a prominent KC businessman. The Chiefs didn't pay for it or give Mahomes any money towards it. It's like Aaron Rodgers stake in the Milwaukee Bucks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    I’ll agree with this. We should 100% know by now.
    Maybe if they had fired Roman when they should have they wouldn't be in that situation.

Stafford is out of the league in 2 maybe 3 years. Rams have all but said you can have him for a slice of bread, but that doesn't stop half the posters wanting to give him 9 figures.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    If Stafford was making these kinds of demands I don't believe he would have been traded. Despite being totally different players, Lamar and Stafford are in the same category of QBs (tier 2).... Nobody is giving those guys gaurenteed contracts unless it's a short term and cheaper deal like Cousins. Of course Lamar's value is higher than Staffords because he is younger.
    Stafford won a Super Bowl and has thrown for 5000 yards in a season. I don't think they are comparable. But he is old. I don't think you give him that kind of contract either.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertN View Post
    So in the interest of bringing us all back together a bit, if Matthew Stafford were our quarterback and making the same contract demands as Lamar what would you do if you were DeCosta?

I think this thought experiment will help us determine if our disagreements about how the Ravens are handling the negotiation are mostly based on how good we think Lamar actually is, or if they actually had to do with Ravens are negotiating. (I think the former.) I picked Stafford as my exemplar because he's a very good quarterback who's about 10th best in the league and not a lot of uncertainty about what he can and can't do. If you don't like Stafford, imagine whatever quarterback that you consider then 10th best in the league.

Please, please, don't make this a discussion about Lamar. I am curious to see how everyone would handle negotiations about a different player. I'll go first. If I were DeCosta, I would approach the situation exactly the same as DeCosta has done so far with Lamar.
    OP, I dont think we can make this a fair comparison because Stafford got a big extension after his 4th season in 2013, and has always been fairly compensated - having been made the highest paid QB again in 2017. He didnt even sniff the success Lamar has had in his first couple seasons. Just gaudy passing yard stats with a HOF all-freaky team WR.

How could you begin to compare two vastly different scenarios?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    The only QB I'd consider giving a fully gaurenteed multi year deal to would probably be Mahomes.... Maaaybe Burrow but probably not. It would also be a max 5 year deal. Everyone else you pay market rates to.
    This. The situation would be completely unchanged in my mind if it involved Stafford. I would presume he has an agent so it would go down far differently, but…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dscola31 View Post
    What exactly are you even talking about? My point is that if your beef is that he can't play without a running system, that's something that you could have found out before his contract expired. It would have made the decision easier.
    I'm saying perhaps there is no beef that he can't play without a "running system".

Perhaps the Ravens have seen enough over 5 years that for reasons that track directly back to Lamar's skillset, he is best and his highest value is in a system that leans on him as a dual threat.

I think only the Lamar "pay the man" fans truly believe the Ravens "aren't sure" whether Lamar can be a Mahommes level pure passer. I don't think there's any wavering on the Ravens side. They know exactly what they have in him, what they don't, and what it is worth to them. And, seeing his market in quasi-RFA, the marketplace mostly agrees.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joedirt View Post
    Stafford won a Super Bowl and has thrown for 5000 yards in a season. I don't think they are comparable. But he is old. I don't think you give him that kind of contract either.
    Yeah in his prime Stafford was a top 5 QB. However, when Stafford won the SB he wasn't a top 5 QB.... The Rams had the best roster in the NFL and simply needed an upgrade over whatever they were getting from Goff at the time.

Blog Entries

I’d be trading Stafford. He just had multiple concussion his wife just beat brain cancer not long ago I can see early retirement coming. He’s got his ring, he was one of the last huge rookie deals he’s made a ton of cash, hits have mounted get what you can for him

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertN View Post
    I think the biggest reason that there is so much disagreement about Lamar's contract negotiations is that there is so much uncertainty (rightfully) over how good he is. At one extreme some people think he's better than Mahomes and at the other extreme, some people think he's no better than Stafford (a very good Super Bowl winning quarterback). And that naturally causes people disagreements about how to approach his contract. If he were better than Mahomes than he is worth every penny of $250MM guaranteed over 5 years, and maybe even $300MM (Ex). On the other hand I don't think many here would want to make Stafford the first QB after Watson to get a fully guaranteed deal.

So in the interest of bringing us all back together a bit, if Matthew Stafford were our quarterback and making the same contract demands as Lamar what would you do if you were DeCosta?

I think this thought experiment will help us determine if our disagreements about how the Ravens are handling the negotiation are mostly based on how good we think Lamar actually is, or if they actually had to do with Ravens are negotiating. (I think the former.) I picked Stafford as my exemplar because he's a very good quarterback who's about 10th best in the league and not a lot of uncertainty about what he can and can't do. If you don't like Stafford, imagine whatever quarterback that you consider then 10th best in the league.

Please, please, don't make this a discussion about Lamar. I am curious to see how everyone would handle negotiations about a different player. I'll go first. If I were DeCosta, I would approach the situation exactly the same as DeCosta has done so far with Lamar.
    I don't know if there is a QB out there that would make these kind of demands. Rodgers probably would have 5-10 years ago if a Watson deal had happened. Most QBs are going to angle for a slight higher Average annual value and a slightly higher guarantees. We are going to see very quickly when Burrow and Hurts sign deals. There are legit concerns about longevity with Lamar. I think you will see similar concerns with the next Allen contract as well. His head coach even said the way he plays is unsustainable. I think teams are going to pause before giving a ton of guarantees to mobile QBs.

Not a great comp because Stafford is much older.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Not a great comp because Stafford is much older.
    Yeah Mahomes and Burrow are the guys you would give the big contract to with big guarantees. No one else has earned that kind of contract. Funny thing is neither is going to get that contract. They are competitors and want to win over getting the biggest gurantees. They believe in themselves.