Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Calais to the Falcons

I thought he wanted to win a championship? I cant believe that the Falcons are a contender this year?

The team was much better when Calais played than when he didn't. His age and his salary is what did him in with the Ravens. Ravens didn't have much salary they could cut.

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    Maybe he can work behind the scenes to facilitate a Ridder plus picks trade.
    Actually, it's not totally crazy to think that he may have Blank's ear and is advocating for Lamar. Not likely but not impossible.

Did Campbell play 5 tech for us this past season? I am trying to see what we have in store for d line depth. Pierce jones and Washington are 3 big bodies that can play upfront. Are we in need of another starter on the d line or a rotational piece?

Plus they have Madubuike and Urban plus the young guy Rashod Nichols

Congrats Calais on the new deal with the Falcons. I hope he has a great season but wish he was still here. Good Luck Calais.

Quote Originally Posted by KidRock20 View Post
    I thought he wanted to win a championship? I cant believe that the Falcons are a contender this year?
    I believe they will be this year's Jaguars and win the division, but it won't carry them past the top teams in the NFC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I believe they will be this year's Jaguars and win the division, but it won't carry them past the top teams in the NFC.
    Why do you think this? They have a bottom half rated roster in the league and don't have a proven QB on the team. The Jags won their division because their young QB finally started to put it together, if it wasn't for that they would have been a dumpster fire yet again. I see the Falcons as a 6 win team unless they get a proven QB.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Why do you think this? They have a bottom half rated roster in the league and don't have a proven QB on the team. The Jags won their division because their young QB finally started to put it together, if it wasn't for that they would have been a dumpster fire yet again. I see the Falcons as a 6 win team unless they get a proven QB.
    Calais may not have had a ton of interest from a contender at a price he felt it was worth playing for.

Falcons have some money to spread around so may have given him a deal that was better than elsewhere. Add in the fact it's a shitty division there is a chance they are playing games that matter to them in Dec/Jan
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by ravens1991 View Post
    Did Campbell play 5 tech for us this past season? I am trying to see what we have in store for d line depth. Pierce jones and Washington are 3 big bodies that can play upfront. Are we in need of another starter on the d line or a rotational piece?
    I think they are ok at DL

Pierce, Jones, Washington, Urban, Madibuike, Rashod Nichols

Can still pick up more depth either in the draft late rounds or UDFA. Also there may be Vets you can get on a minimum deal.

Last year we barely had Pierce at all and the DL was good/solid. Trading out Campbell for Pierce does not alter that equation enough that the DL is now a weakness.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I believe in Desmond Ridder more than most here it seems. I think he'll make a second year jump akin to Trevor Lawrence and the Falcons will be just fine at QB.

And, like with the Jaguars, their division stinks. The Panthers will be starting a rookie. The Bucs are drowning. The Saints roster is top heavy.

The Falcons meanwhile have Drake London, Tyler Allgeier, Kyle Pitts, Cordarelle Patterson, and an improving offensive line led by Chris Lindstrom. On defense they have AJ Terrell, Jessie Bates and Richie Grant in the secondary, and watch out for LB Troy Andersen. Their DL does have an age problem that wasn't helped by signing Calais Campbell.

So they will need another good draft, but I think they're a value bet. They need another CB, and can use depth at WR and EDGE.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I believe in Desmond Ridder more than most here it seems. I think he'll make a second year jump akin to Trevor Lawrence and the Falcons will be just fine at QB.

And, like with the Jaguars, their division stinks. The Panthers will be starting a rookie. The Bucs are drowning. The Saints roster is top heavy.

The Falcons meanwhile have Drake London, Tyler Allgeier, Kyle Pitts, Cordarelle Patterson, and an improving offensive line led by Chris Lindstrom. On defense they have AJ Terrell, Jessie Bates and Richie Grant in the secondary, and watch out for LB Troy Andersen. Their DL does have an age problem that wasn't helped by signing Calais Campbell.

So they will need another good draft, but I think they're a value bet. They need another CB, and can use depth at WR and EDGE.
    I don't see him making a Lawrence-type jump. He does not have the tools Lawrence has and is not the QB he is.

I can see him making progress though. Ridder looks to me to be a lower to mid-end starting QB at best.

His career trajectory if I am guessing will be along the lines of his predecessor Mariotta or a guy like Brisset. Good enough to start a few years and hope he gets better and better but reaches a ceiling and becomes a highly valued back-up or placeholder starter for a period of time.

I have seen nothing that leads me to believe he has the goods to be a long-time NFL starter/franchise QB. Just my take though.
    -Ray Lewis