Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Patriots will Not Trade for Lamar

This is from today's edition of The Athletic. Scratch another team off the list. Yesterday the owner of the Falcons commented about Lamar's injury history. Ron Rivera also reaffirmed that the Commanders are out. Now it's the Patriots. The Colts are the only team who has spoken about Lamar and hasn't said or leaked that they are out.

https://theathletic.com/4359462/2023...mpaign=6453585

Patriots will not pursue Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson: Source

PHOENIX, Ariz. — Don’t count on Lamar Jackson relocating to New England.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft made a shocking revelation Monday at the NFL’s annual meetings, saying that Jackson was interested in joining the Patriots. The sentiment stemmed from a recent text exchange between Kraft and Meek Mill, a mutual friend of Jackson and Kraft, and the idea of a union between the sides would certainly reshape the AFC’s power structure.

It’s just not going to happen, according to a league source....

...If the Patriots signed Jackson to an offer sheet, they would ship their next two first-round draft picks to Baltimore if the Ravens didn’t match the terms. Plus, for Jackson to agree to an offer sheet, the Patriots would almost certainly need to give him a contract worth far more money than they ever extended to Tom Brady.

So what about a trade? In theory, the Patriots could test Jackson’s true desire to link up, attempt to convince him to accept a far more affordable deal and offer the Ravens a trade package — say, three first-round picks — to get the Ravens onboard with such a move.

It’s still not a price the Patriots would be willing to pay. And since Deshaun Watson got a fully guaranteed five-year, $230 million contract from the Browns, Jackson has understandably been asking for something along those lines. He doesn’t appear likely to completely change course after two years of challenging negotiations, including his well-deserved stance on a high percentage of guaranteed money over the past 12 months....

...To be clear, the Patriots aren’t out on Jackson because of Jones. Those are mutually exclusive situations, with the price on Jackson in salary and draft compensation being too much of a non-starter.

Blog Entries

Re: Patriots will Not Trade for Lamar

I agree with Tony's article - there is no team that will do it. Ravens can go ahead and spend in FA because they don't have to worry about matching a deal.

https://russellstreetreport.com/2023...d-up-for-2023/

The worst case scenario is that you have a dark horse sneak in and undercut the Ravens deal and you lose Lamar for a pair of first round picks… but you’ve now stacked your lineup for a rookie QB, and as we’re hearing from reports, the odds anybody makes that offer that also meets Lamar’s contract demands is slimmer than the odds Harbaugh grows a beard (I’ll fight this battle as long as he’s here – DO IT, JOHN!).

Best case scenario, Lamar caves and takes the Ravens’ last offer and we’re set for the long haul.Middle ground is that he’s unhappy that nobody wants him at his number, but plays on the tag (because he won’t sit and burn eight-figures), and we do this rodeo again next year.Risk be damned! Let’s go bolster this roster, leave enough space to cover Jackson and the draft class (plus some in-season insurance), and ride high into the 2023 season!

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Could that be why the Ravens were meeting with OBJ? Maybe they are doing exactly what Tony is proposing and going after the best free agent WR that they can?

Irsay is a total ass. I don’t trust anything he says especially this time of year. Other than the Colts….who??? Lions?? Lamar’s options are dwindling down and they’re making it publicly known they don’t want him. Irsay says no guaranteed contract. Does Lamar leave a known well run organization that has parted ways with two huge problems for Lamar (Roman and the disaster at strength and conditioning) to go to a known shit show for the same money? Ravens get Odell and it shows Lamar another issue is being addressed

Blog Entries

I am hoping there is a compromise on both sides once Lamar sees that the market is dry

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I am hoping there is a compromise on both sides once Lamar sees that the market is dry
    We'll see.

My concern and I'm sure many others at this point is whether Lamar will ever be "all in" for the Ravens again. If he has a hangnail and doesn't feel 100% will he skip practice and rule himself out?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    Irsay is a total ass. I don’t trust anything he says especially this time of year. Other than the Colts….who??? Lions?? Lamar’s options are dwindling down and they’re making it publicly known they don’t want him. Irsay says no guaranteed contract. Does Lamar leave a known well run organization that has parted ways with two huge problems for Lamar (Roman and the disaster at strength and conditioning) to go to a known shit show for the same money? Ravens get Odell and it shows Lamar another issue is being addressed
    I can't see the Lions giving anyone a fully guaranteed long term contract. These are the same people who played hardball with DJ Chark and wouldn't match a 1 year $5 million deal because of his injuries last year.

If there is a surprise mystery team my guess is that it's the Titans. The issue there is that's one of the poorest owners in the NFL and escrow could be a problem. They're one of the few teams who either needs or could upgrade at QB has said absolutely nothing this offseason about anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I agree with Tony's article - there is no team that will do it. Ravens can go ahead and spend in FA because they don't have to worry about matching a deal.

https://russellstreetreport.com/2023...d-up-for-2023/

The worst case scenario is that you have a dark horse sneak in and undercut the Ravens deal and you lose Lamar for a pair of first round picks… but you’ve now stacked your lineup for a rookie QB, and as we’re hearing from reports, the odds anybody makes that offer that also meets Lamar’s contract demands is slimmer than the odds Harbaugh grows a beard (I’ll fight this battle as long as he’s here – DO IT, JOHN!).

Best case scenario, Lamar caves and takes the Ravens’ last offer and we’re set for the long haul.Middle ground is that he’s unhappy that nobody wants him at his number, but plays on the tag (because he won’t sit and burn eight-figures), and we do this rodeo again next year.Risk be damned! Let’s go bolster this roster, leave enough space to cover Jackson and the draft class (plus some in-season insurance), and ride high into the 2023 season!
    Irsay's response and Kraft's response are telling you that they do not agree with fully guaranteed longterm deals. They are not going to damage the league longterm by doubling down on the Browns stupidity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan55 View Post
    We'll see.

My concern and I'm sure many others at this point is whether Lamar will ever be "all in" for the Ravens again. If he has a hangnail and doesn't feel 100% will he skip practice and rule himself out?
    That's a legit concern. It's certainly crossed my mind. Once things get this personal it's tough to get back to the way things were.

Promise?

Unless Irsay gets really drunk one night and picks up the phone, I don't think anyone will trade for Lamar. The Ravens should never have drafted him.

Blog Entries

They may be right, but I won't be completely convinced of anything any Owner or GM says until a resolution is found. They may not be willing to give Lamar Jackson a fully guaranteed contract, but there is a huge gap in fully guaranteed money, between what Watson got and what we offered Lamar. A gap that could be exploited.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore