Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe > Lamar

Re: Joe > Lamar

Both are so different yet gave us some great moments in Ravens history. I'll never forget Lamar's 2019 regular season but Flacco does have more memories and I miss his mental toughness. FWO 4EVAH

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Joe was a better qb in the big moments when it mattered.

Lamar might be the better player, but it hasn't translated to playoff success and may not ever.
    arnie, as of now I agree with your POV. However, LJ is still only in his mid-twenties and has a lot of football left in his future. It seems a shame that a once promising Ravens QB, with a good attitude, has morphed into the star of this drama. Two years ago my entusiasm towards LJ was boundless, now it's only left me ... Bc

I mean this is like saying Tom Brady is better than Mac Jones. Stating the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post
    Both are so different yet gave us some great moments in Ravens history. I'll never forget Lamar's 2019 regular season but Flacco does have more memories and I miss his mental toughness. FWO 4EVAH

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I will never forget the memory of paying $350 for a ticket to see Lamar choke in the playoffs for the second straight season in 2019.

Love em both for different reasons.

There is something to be said for reliability and lack of drama though.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Without getting into the BS politics over this, when you look at it objectively the Ravens had more success with Joe Flacco than they have had with Lamar (during their rookie contracts).

I think Lamar is the better all round football player than Joe was, but Joe was a better thrower of the football when it mattered the most. He was almost like the opposite to Lamar, looked above average at best during the regular season most of the time (and sometimes pretty terrible)... But really good come play off time. He could make the key throws to win us lots of games. I think a lot of that was because the Ravens defense was a step above this cycles defense under the leadership of Ray, Ed, Suggs and Ngata. The defense bailed us out of a lot of games that this current defense has not done. If we had the Ray Lewis defense, there is no way Derrick Henry is running all over us like that.

Lamar also never had Boldin, he has mostly had smaller receivers who rely on getting separation rather than out muscling DBs and just going up to get the ball. During the 2012 season Joe could literally throw the ball into Boldins area and he would just grab it. Lamar has not had a guy like that at WR... Although I'd take Andrews over Pitts any day.

With all that said, Joe never made a fuss about anything and never complained about anything really. He went to Denver against all odds and sat in that pocket in freezing temperatures at altitude and picked Manning's Denver apart. We have never seen Lamar do something like that... In Lamar's greatest games as a raven where he has beaten elite teams, it has been through a combination of running and throwing the ball. I've not seen Lamar play clutch as a throwing QB when the chips were down. Even in his best season in 2019, we won most of our games because we ran the score up and had a good defense who wouldn't blow leads. I've never seen Lamar go into Pittsburgh like Joe did and throw a game winning TD to Hollywood Brown like Joe did with Torrey Smith.

For those reasons, Joe Flacco is still the #1 QB in ravens history for now.
    Good post. I agree with most of this but would point out that Lamar has done some clutch things throwing the football (although Joe has many more of those moments both regular season and playoffs). Off the top of my head I recall the comeback against the colts he threw the ball great to lead that in the second half. Also the Poopgate game against the Browns I recall him making some clutch throws. There are more but again Joe really did have a ton of big moments throwing the ball to win games for the ravens.

I will add that Joe’s demeanor attitude was a lot different than Lamar’s (not saying that Lamar has a bad attitude so don’t take it like that)and was more conducive to being able to relax, focus, and not press in those big moments. One of my biggest issues with Lamar traditionally has been that he seems to try too hard (not sure what else to call it) in some moments where he’s trying bring the team back or put a game out of reach. I recall some saying in the past that he needed a sports psychologist to aid in these issues. I always thought that was a bit ridiculous but I do think that he can be too emotional and get inside his own head when the pressure is on at times.

Personally I’m partial to Joe because his run was the most fun (outside of 2000) I’ve ever had watching Ravens seasons. And the 2012 SB run was a thing of legend. They are two totally different players though with totally different teams that surrounded them and comparing them straight up to one another doesn’t really work. Although in Joe’s first game against the Bengals he had a long run so maybe he is like Lamar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Just use the Steve Smith test

Who's the best quarterback who's taken you to a superbowl. That's the best quarterback.

Joe > Dilfer

Done

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
    On the field (SB MVP, Lamar will never sniff it), but especially off the field.

Joe Flacco remains the best QB in franchise history, as he should.
    There is no doubt. Clearly a better passer. Joe's first 5 years here was nothing short of amazing. Joe would have went to a 2nd Super Bowl in 2014 if the secondary wasn't devastated by injuries.

Miss the days no drama Joe Cool. 2012 was my favorite Ravens season of all time, those playoffs were legendary.

I knew we were spoiled going to 3 AFC title games in 5 years but damn, somehow I still wish I savored it more. Peak Ravens football.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    There is no doubt. Clearly a better passer. Joe's first 5 years here was nothing short of amazing. Joe would have went to a 2nd Super Bowl in 2014 if the secondary wasn't devastated by injuries.
    And should have gone in 2011 if not for Evans and Cundiff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Gonna disagree that Flacco was amazing but I guess im in the minority
    Mike MacDonald should be our head coach next season

If Youre gonna say I said something, Quote me cause yall be lying.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    We (Touchdown and I) did not slander Roquan and you cannot point to a single post of mine specifically, from that thread, where I slandered Roquan. You predetermined in your mind that I brought up that information for the purpose of slandering Roquan and nothing we said to you convinced you of otherwise, or was going to. Again, there isn’t a single post in that thread you can point to that even shows I slandered him.
    Not worth the synapses, bro. Some people will make it point to misunderstand you just so they can argue. Like you said, that's a "you" problem.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh