Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Serious Question

Quote Originally Posted by KingSerg View Post
    This is going to be long so scroll past if you don't care...

I've been making this point for a while around here, but you won't see very many people on this board take that part of it up. GOTA did have a great post today arguing that it is not about the money per se, but about being "highest paid" to outmatch some of his college rivals.

I somewhat agree with that, but what we are witnessing is, imho a microcosm of the fraying of the fabric of our culture through the NFL lens. We are seeing the debasement and devaluing of everything down to "imma get mine" and "get your bag". There is no more value on the team, the culture, the organization...this is all about the individual...and making "your brand" the sellable item. Look the owners are greedy too, no doubt so this cuts both ways.

All of this is language right out of GTA, and quite frankly I think this whole culture shifted after 9/11 where people don't trust institutions or each other any more and especially (for good reason) if you are black/brown and poor. This is understandable. So people feel like they have to look out for themselves and so be it if I have to break some eggs to make an omelet. We hear this all the time in the working world when people tell you on employment blogs that you should not have loyalty to any company because they won't hesitate to fire you without notice. LJ grew up in all of this institutional mistrust and gen z "me'ism" so it's no real surprise.

But there is a line to all of this. I don't place all the blame for greed/ego here on this kid because he is just exhibiting the natural zeitgeist of his generation and culture...one we all participated in creating though our own actions.

I am in between LJ's generation and the boomers on this board who are simply out of touch, I have also achieved at the highest level in my field (I am considered a "rock star" in it) and have done things that have put my name in lights. I have never once, even though I have plenty of reasons to, let my ego drive the process, especially with employers and money because I understood the difference between the institution and the individual, and had some respect for the institution and fought natural tendencies to "build my brand" in my way. This worked for me-but I am a different generation than LJ.

So yes, it may be ego, and greed, but it is also paranoia and fear. Get as much as you can while you can because something or someone is going to take it all away. That is also the post-9/11 zeitgeist we all live in. And the thing is institutions know this. And most have never addressed these issues in the workforce...the pandemic underscored this-how mentally frayed and socially debased and frankly paranoid we all have become. Still little is done by employers to change this-and they have the power to.

Bringing it back to the NFL. These are mostly poor, mostly minority kids who look at this whole thing as a lottery ticket, and the teams know that. Teams also live in a "imma get mine" mindset and do little to address what I talked about above-especially the fear. In fact they capitalize on it. So the two feed each other and distort the market where players feel like greed and ego are the only way, at the expense of institutions and team culture.

Here the thing. The institutions are hated because they have the power to affect all this and do little but put out slogans and marketing campaigns. But they have more power in this dynamic.

The Ravens let this kid down. He also came in to all of this greedy and an egoist. Ssomeone had to be an adult in the room. Neither is...and so power, greed, and ego win the day.

That's how you get to these ridiculous sums of money and legions of people taking sides for something that will never help them in their day to day lives. We don't have message boards about teacher pay or infrastructure or whatever.

We watch the NFL to escape, but some realties find a way of catching up with you.

(I apologize to the board for this way too long on the verge of narcissistic monologue-I had to get it out of my system).
    stopped reading after this: and the boomers on this board who are simply out of touch,
    "Once a Raven, always a Raven" - Q

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I just want to watch the YouTube where someone puts that suitcase gym in a parking lot and blows it up with explosives
    Me too

Liquid nitrogen is second

Hydraulic press is third (but might be the highest chance of occurring, but tannerite is not to be dismissed)

Blog Entries

Question

If a team was trying to hit the Ravens with a sheet 10 minutes before their pick came up, what would be the timing and signs? Could they actually do it?

Like could the Colts say go to the Ravens 10 minutes before the 4th pick is due and say here's the offer sheet. Do you want him or do you want pick 4 and next year's first?

The Ravens not only have 10 minutes to decide, if they want the pick, they also have 10 minutes to decide who or to trade it. Talk about pressure and surprise.

But there would seem like have to be indicators and maybe they couldn't set that up as a total shocker.

What are the rules around this?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    Question

If a team was trying to hit the Ravens with a sheet 10 minutes before their pick came up, what would be the timing and signs? Could they actually do it?

Like could the Colts say go to the Ravens 10 minutes before the 4th pick is due and say here's the offer sheet. Do you want him or do you want pick 4 and next year's first?

The Ravens not only have 10 minutes to decide, if they want the pick, they also have 10 minutes to decide who or to trade it. Talk about pressure and surprise.

But there would seem like have to be indicators and maybe they couldn't set that up as a total shocker.

What are the rules around this?
    There is a 2 day window before the draft. If the player signs the offer sheet 2 days before the draft then it's the current years pick. If it's within 2 days of the draft it goes to the next league year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    There is a 2 day window before the draft. If the player signs the offer sheet 2 days before the draft then it's the current years pick. If it's within 2 days of the draft it goes to the next league year.
    Thank you! So that prevents the scenario above.

It wasn't mine, Rich Eisen suggested it last week and it sounded too far out. I could not figure out why. Thanks for the help.

I am at a total loss as to what to expect. I normally look at things in a logical and practical perspective, but do not take the "what would I do if I were in that situation" simply because no two people think the same. I had a certain view of Lamar previously because of things that suggested he had one type of character. Over time, that has changed due to actions that are contrary to the original perception.

If he waits until the start of the season to sign the Tag and try to play without working with the team in the new system, I doubt he looks good for future negotiations. If he waits until later in the season to show up, he is either sitting as an inactive the balance of the season or looking lost (again hurting his negotiations). If he were to sign the Tag in time enough to get into the system and plays hot to start and cool off (or even get hurt after 11 games for the third time), it hurts his negotiations. The only scenario (without a long-term deal somewhere) that is not bad would be if he signs the Tag and plays at the MVP level that he did four seasons back (without injury).

So does he sign a long-term deal with something other than his present position; whether it is with the Ravens or someone else? Logic would say that he does (but probably not with Baltimore just because of face-saving) and logic says that is a reasonable decision. Unless of course you are in Lamar's vision of him being a QB that is still MVP-level and you can convince a team that you will play for years to come (without injury) and not be a bad investment.
    Captain Offense

The Ravens have pretty much insulated themselves from an Unmatchable Contract. Also, if a team is QB needy, are they going to pass up drafting a QB and hope they can get Lamar? That's high risk. If a team wants Lamar they need to move now, or risk that another team makes a move.

The Ravens have more control than one might imagine, but all of their options come with a price, and carry risk. The options fall into two categories depending on whether or not he receives an offer sheet.

I still contend the smart move by Lamar would've been to sign the short term 133mil/3yr deal he mentioned in his Twitter post. Unfortunately in his mind, 44+ million guaranteed a year is beneath his value and unacceptable.

To me that was a great compromise from all sides and if Lamar balled out he'd have the opportunity for a huge payday 3 years later at only 29.

Still crickets EX? guess even you dont believe the crap you are putting out LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by one eyed bird View Post
    I have ask before and gotten no response, you are so sure of this lets put $100 if I win you can send $100 to St Judes, if you win I will send $100 to you, it would be like taking candy from a baby for you