Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Hey Lamar - try this (useful advice only)

I was thinking and since Lamar is crowd sourcing his quarter of a billion dollar negotiation, why not actually try to help him out?

This thread is for actually useful tips for Lamar. No sarcasm, no BS, things that would really help you that you might not know about. Please post actually useful tips.

I know that it would be super easy to make fun of this or make jokes, so if you want to do that - you win! Okay? It's too easy to do that here. The hard part is giving Lamar actually viable advice and good tips he can take advantage of. Okay? So please keep this thread to useful advice only. I know you all have had some actually useful ideas and tips for him. We can make a joke/parody thread in the trash heap if you want. Let's keep this one real and try to help him.

Assume he's not going to hire an agent. Much as this might be everyone's top tip, it's too easy to say that.

So pretend you are Lamar's best friend and truly want to help him out. Then post your tips.

Here are some useful tips for you in negotiating without an agent:

1. The technical term you want to use for someone calling around for you is - Administrative Assistant

Do you think agents make all their own calls? No they have administrative assistants (used to be called secretary) that call and either set up a later meeting time and date or immediately transfer the call to the agent or player.

Example have someone call the team and say "Hello my name is - inset name here - I am Mr Jackson's administrative assistant. I would like to set up a meeting with - insert team name and GM name here - and Mr Jackson. Can you please direct me to the person who can do that."

Importantly add the following "I understand the NFL has indicated that no one can negotiate except for Mr Jackson himself. I am an administrative assistant only and am limited to setting up the logistics of the meeting and taking notes. To prevent any misunderstanding, We want to be clear that Mr Jackson is the only one who will be conducting negotiations with the team."

This will indicate to the team that you are following the rules and the team won't get in any trouble by talking to you. Teams and owners might be fearful given recent actions from the league office.

Better yet, hire an administrative assistant. They aren't expensive for someone who has as much money as you do. You can retain them for as long or short as you need their services. They will be professional and do what you tell them to.

2. You can try to talk to the owners directly. They are meeting now, so fly out to where they are meeting and just go to the hotel where they are. Tell any security who you are. They will let you into any non - owner only closed door place. If security balks and says they can't let you in, tell them this.

"I'm Lamar Jackson. They tried to prevent my administrative assistant Ken from setting up a meeting with me. How am I supposed to contact them except for talking to them myself?" They should get the point. If not slip then a Benjamin and ask them for their advice on how to talk to them directly. Tell them that you won't tell anyone about the conversation.

Who's going to tell you no?

Advanced - have your admin book a room in the same hotel so you have an arranged place to meet with the owners you want to talk to.

3. Call Mike Vick - I certainly can't give you advice about your contract situation. I can tell you some words to use and ideas on how to get in front of the owners. But I don't know what it's like to be in your shoes.

If there is anyone else on the planet who knows what you are going through it's got to be Mike Vick. I think you know that too. Call him (better yet, arrange to meet him in person - go see him or fly him to see you) and see what he has to say. It can't hurt and won't be expensive.

Re: Hey Lamar - try this (useful advice only)

There's only one problem. Lamar will never see this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan55 View Post
    There's only one problem. Lamar will never see this.
    I'm pretending he will.

I'm 99.9% certain he saw the Patriots weather modification post.

I have 7.
    1. Hire an actual agent.
    2. Distance yourself from shady conmen like Ken Francis.
    3. Hire a legit NFLPA certified agent.
    4. Let someone else manage your social media accounts.
    5. Hire a bona fide professional agent.
    6. Compromise is a part of life, accept this fact. Negotiations are about finding middle ground. When the team takes a step towards that middle ground, the whole thing only progresses when you do the same.
    7. Hire a fucking agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Unibomber View Post
    I have 7.
    1. Hire an actual agent.
    6. Compromise is a part of life, accept this fact. Negotiations are about finding middle ground. When the team takes a step towards that middle ground, the whole thing only progresses when you do the same.
    7. Hire a fucking agent.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Unibomber View Post
    I have 7.
    1. Hire an actual agent.
    7. Hire a fucking agent.
    This.
    Decide what else you want besides the DeShaun Watson guarantee and focus on that. Demand a WR be brought in that is an actual starting quality player and sign a nice LONG deal with lots of functional guarantee instead of fully guaranteed and move on with life a very rich man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big dog found the bone
    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    This.
    Decide what else you want besides the DeShaun Watson guarantee and focus on that. Demand a WR be brought in that is an actual starting quality player and sign a nice LONG deal with lots of functional guarantee instead of fully guaranteed and move on with life a very rich man.

Put some more seasoning on that fish down at the restaurant.

1- Get in touch with reality
    2- Wean yourself off the nipple, its time
    3- Actually work hard on improving your QB short comings instead of talking about it, 6 years in still that same ol QB
    4- Learn the playbook so we can actually run an NFL offense and not handicap the play caller
    5 Grow up

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    This.

Realize that you can ask for things that are not money.

Like WRs who will make you look better

Find the leverage points that make deals guaranteed even though they don't say guaranteed. Like when your cap hit would cripple a team if they cut you when you are scheduled to get a very high salary.

I think most of us know what Lamar needs to do. Unfortunately, his mother and his crew are doing it their way and can't be bothered with any outsiders suggesting anything. Logic be damned.

Honest question / thought:
    Should he have certain high-dollar incentives tied to running stats (carries/yardage/TDs), so that if the Ravens force him to run, he gets amply compensated over abd above? He could even negotiate certain injury protection clauses that kick in after X number of carries.