Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Darlington

Blog Entries

Jeff Darlington

For all of the talk about us not being the Browns, and us not making decisions like some of the poorly run teams, Jeff Darlington makes, in my opinion, a rather good point. He says that the Ravens have never been followers. Yet, all of a sudden, they're relying on other teams to affirm that they should give Lamar Jackson a better offer. The conversation started around Ozzie's comments and Chris Canty threw it to Darlington that maybe they are seeking that affirmation from other teams, before giving Lamar a certain deal. This was Darlington's response:

"I guess I'm thinking out loud here, because again, you (Chris Canty) sort of changed my mind that maybe that's what Ozzie Newsome is talking about here. I would just say though, Ozzie Newsome and the Ravens have never been, like, followers, in their organizational practices. Like, that's a pretty weak move, if you're waiting on the Bengals, or the Chargers, or the Eagles, to affirm whether you should pay your Quarterback, who's a former MVP by the way. Like, if it comes to the point where we find that out and I'm Lamar Jackson, I'm like 'Oh really? You need THAT guy to validate your decision about me?'
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: Jeff Darlington

I don't think the NE Tag and negotiation problems have anything to do with waiting for Burrow/Herbert/Hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    For all of the talk about us not being the Browns, and us not making decisions like some of the poorly run teams, Jeff Darlington makes, in my opinion, a rather good point. He says that the Ravens have never been followers. Yet, all of a sudden, they're relying on other teams to affirm that they should give Lamar Jackson a better offer. The conversation started around Ozzie's comments and Chris Canty threw it to Darlington that maybe they are seeking that affirmation from other teams, before giving Lamar a certain deal. This was Darlington's response:

"I guess I'm thinking out loud here, because again, you (Chris Canty) sort of changed my mind that maybe that's what Ozzie Newsome is talking about here. I would just say though, Ozzie Newsome and the Ravens have never been, like, followers, in their organizational practices. Like, that's a pretty weak move, if you're waiting on the Bengals, or the Chargers, or the Eagles, to affirm whether you should pay your Quarterback, who's a former MVP by the way. Like, if it comes to the point where we find that out and I'm Lamar Jackson, I'm like 'Oh really? You need THAT guy to validate your decision about me?'
    Stupid speculation. The Ravens believe they gave him a vey fair offer. They have said that repeatedly. They also said that teams would be surprised to learn what they offered. The Ravens are not looking for affirmation on a different deal. They don't believe another team will offer a better deal. Ravens have no reason to sweeten their offer. Lamar will not even negotiate. The ball is in Lamar's court. Ravens built the offense around Lamar and feel they value Lamar more than any other franchise. They feel that giving him the 2nd highest guaranteed amount ever and the 2nd highest AAV is a great offer. Maybe they need to talk to Ken Francis about it. Maybe they can throw in a squat rack too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I don't think the NE Tag and negotiation problems have anything to do with waiting for Burrow/Herbert/Hurts.
    I would hope not, but it raises a point that I've kind of harped on. Let's say another team talks to Lamar, those talks go great, and that team is willing to offer Lamar a better deal and even give up two first round picks to do it. If he informs the Ravens before an offer sheet is put forth, they may tell him that they would match that offer sheet if it came through. I could see Lamar's reaction being the same as Darlington's.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch11 View Post
    Stupid speculation. The Ravens believe they gave him a vey fair offer. They have said that repeatedly. They also said that teams would be surprised to learn what they offered. The Ravens are not looking for affirmation on a different deal. They don't believe another team will offer a better deal. Ravens have no reason to sweeten their offer. Lamar will not even negotiate. The ball is in Lamar's court. Ravens built the offense around Lamar and feel they value Lamar more than any other franchise. They feel that giving him the 2nd highest guaranteed amount ever and the 2nd highest AAV is a great offer. Maybe they need to talk to Ken Francis about it. Maybe they can throw in a squat rack too.
    So, if a team offers a better deal, then they won't match it, based on your logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch11 View Post
    Ex doesn’t like reality so he has to keep constructing make believe lands where Lamar is highly marketable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would hope not, but it raises a point that I've kind of harped on. Let's say another team talks to Lamar, those talks go great, and that team is willing to offer Lamar a better deal and even give up two first round picks to do it. If he informs the Ravens before an offer sheet is put forth, they may tell him that they would match that offer sheet if it came through. I could see Lamar's reaction being the same as Darlington's.
    Too bad, so sad….

So, if a team offers a better deal, then they won't match it, based on your logic.
    Who said that? He sure didn’t…

Still waiting on that better offer? Team doesn’t believe a team will. They were hoping Lamar would come to his senses and accept their offer.

Except your plan of paying lamar a huge fully guaranteed contract would actually be acting like the browns

Blog Entries

You're grasping at straws here. This viewpoint will go down in flames just like Lamar's portable gym system.