Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Cornerbacks in the draft

Welp, here it is. The other big one. Cornerbacks. Still have to do edge, defensive tackle, and linebackers, but this is going to tie WRs for the most videos and personal opinions/pointless meanderings. Wouldn't have to worry about this so much this year except why bothering to draft Tariq Woolen who only had 6 ints (tied for first), 16 passes defended, 2 fumble recoveries and a blocked kick. We got Jalyn Armour-Davis and Damarion Williams who have... played, maybe? 3 passes defended BETWEEN THEM. Not each, but combined. Total. And we had injuries at CB. They still couldn't get on the damned field.

So what do I look for in CBs? Aside from actually getting to play, I mean. Size and speed matter in a very broad sense. Size isn't the be-all because you need those jitter-bug CBs to guard the tiny WRs that give folks trouble. Speed can somewhat be mitigated by experience and scheme. But if you run over a 4.55 you're a safety. Or possibly a mailman.

I value turnovers and passes defended. That shows that they're around the ball which is where they need to be. Tackles is sort of a misleading statistic for CBs because it's not good to give up catches and have to tackle the receiver. Do like to see them blitzing though. Stuffing plays in the backfield, that sort of thing.

This should be our first round pick. The WRs this year are just awful at the top, but there is quite a bit of surprising depth. CB is chock full of playmakers throughout the draft and we should most definitely double-dip.

I'm gonna give a very brief mention tabout Gonzalez, Porter, and Witherspoon because they won't be there when we pick. They're all great CBs who would instantly upgrade our defense. We get one of them at 22, it's a good draft.

Okay, so on to the rest of the guys who I think will be available. It's generally gonna follow by round expected, there is a lot of discrepancy in where they're projected. No second rounder hurts and we still need an edge.

I'm not going back and watching every game of these guys. I have a life that involves reading a whole bunch of really old stuff that nobody cares about. Don't judge me. I will try to pick one game against a quality opponent and their highlight reel.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Re: Cornerbacks in the draft

First up, we're gonna look at the kid from Maryland, Deonte Banks. 6'0, 197. 4.37.

The combine was huge for Banks, because a lot of pundits questioned his athleticism. Not sure why because he looks good on tape.

I decided to watch the Terps vs. Ohio State. Ohio State went into that game with a consensus top-2 QB, a first rounder at WR and OT, a likely top-10 pick at WR next year and a bunch of other guys who are going to be drafted. It was not set up for the cornerbacks to look good, but they impressed me. The whole team did. Banks played a great game. He gave up the first pass while getting flagged on the first play. After that, he settled down to give Stroud fits. I'm not sure if Stroud threw much to Banks side of the field.

The positives for Banks are pretty danged obvious. He's a big, fast CB that has the bulk of a safety. He uses the sideline as an extra defender to squeeze the WR. In press he has a violent punch that staggers the WR, but then has enough speed to carry them downfield. In off-coverage he reacts quickly to the play in front of him. I'd be hard pressed to figure out which one he'd be better at. Unlike most boundary CBs, I believe Banks has the hips to cover slot receivers if necessary. Simply loved watching that game, even though y'all lost. Banks also blocked a kick, if I'm not mistaken. Side note, if any of y'all know Coach Locksley, tell him I was impressed by how his team played.

Negatives on Banks are minimal. He's not as good in run-support as his size would suggest. I'd like to see him fighting through blocks a bit more. He also doesn't get a lot of turnovers but I'm not sure if that's because QBs just stopped throwing at him.

How does he fit the Ravens? In a vacuum, he's a no-brainer first round guy. If he played for another team, we wouldn't have a shot. Do I want to draft him? I honestly don't know. The problem is he's from Baltimore. I know it's a great story, local kid makes it big. If we lived in a NFL city, I don't think I'd want my kid drafted by the local team. First couple of years in the league you need to focus on your craft, mature a little bit. Just too many distractions in your hometown.

Here's the highlight film.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Kelee Ringo, Georgia. 6'2, 207. 4.36

I'm gonna let you know before we get any further with this write-up that I do not particularly like Ringo as a prospect. Just from casually watching the SEC over the last couple of years, Ringo doesn't strike me as a very instinctive player. I'm writing this part before doing any sort of actual film-study, just to see if my opinion changes.

I watched the Tennessee offense vs. Georgia's defense. My opinion didn't change.

Ringo has only one weakness; faulty instincts. He is a young guy, only playing two years of college ball, so plenty of room for growth. Physically he is everything you want in a cornerback. Big, fast, strong hands, quick reactions, etc... And for all of that, Tillman ate his lunch. Ringo had the one beautiful INT on the deep shot by Hooker (I giggled while typing that), but if it weren't for pressure by Georgia, Tillman would've had a 100+ yard day. And likely a couple of TDs.

I like the way Ringo fights the blockers on screens. He plays a hard-nosed brand of football that is particularly enjoyable. There's a better than average chance that he turns into a top-flight corner in the NFL. Those instincts though. I wouldn't touch him in the first. Late second maybe, depending a lot on who else is available. Same reason I didn't want Oweh, except Ringo actually has stats important for his position.

ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

If it's a corner... I'd be happy with either Banks or Porter at #22

Blog Entries

Both of those guys are solid. Can I steal from PFF for a couple others?

CHRISTIAN GONZALEZ, OREGON (JUNIOR | 6-2, 201)

• 2022 PFF Grade: 81.2
    • Play Style: All-Around Outside CB
    • Initial Round Projection: 1st

Gonzalez is the kind of athlete who could have excelled no matter what sport he chose. He’s so smooth and graceful for a 6-foot-2, 201-pound corner that you almost forget just how big he is at times. His effortless ability to mirror wide receivers led to four interceptions and six pass breakups for the Ducks this past fall.

I love his coverage versatility. He’s a tremendous tackler who could excel in a zone scheme where he’s asked to come up and make plays in the flats. He missed only three of 61 tackle attempts this past fall. He also has the size to be a press-man corner when asked — that’s the kind of skill set that’s going to go very high come April.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1613718639080792064

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Banks has "future Pittsburgh Steeler" written all over him. It wouldn't shock me if they bypassed JPJ, if he's somehow still available, to take him.

In any event, I predict he'll be gone well before we pick at 22 (or wherever we wind up).

Blog Entries

DEVON WITHERSPOON, ILLINOIS (SENIOR | 6-0, 180)

• 2022 PFF Grade: 92.0
    • Play Style: DOG

Witherspoon may not have the size of others on this list, but none can hold a candle to his performance this past fall. Witherspoon brought it every single week for the Fighting Illini in a way we, quite frankly, have never seen before in our nine years of college grading. He was targeted 63 times but allowed just 22 catches for 206 yards with three interceptions and 14 pass breakups. Oh, and he didn’t allow a single touchdown all season. Those numbers were good for a 25.0 passer rating — worse than spiking the ball every play.

And Witherspoon did it all while playing man coverage more often than any other cornerback in the draft class — 560 of the 738 defensive snaps Witherspoon played this past fall came with a man coverage call. Truly freaky stuff. Flip on the tape and you will see is a twitched-up corner who’s personally offended the receiver on the other side of the ball is trying to get open against him.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1614027591530254336

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Thanks darb great series ��

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the top 4 CBs in this class if one were to miraculously fall to 22. Gonzalez, JPJ, Whitherspoon, and Banks are all what you're looking for in a boundary CB.

Ringo I think is someone who is going to transition to safety at some point.

Also keep an eye on Emmanuel Forbes. He's a playmaker/gambler like Peters but much more athletic. Seems like someone the Ravens would like but desperately needs to put some weight on his frame. He'd easily be a 1st round talent if not for this class being so stacked.

I never had Brents as a CB, but since we brought him in I studied a bit more in depth.

Julius Brents, Safety, Kansas State, 6'3, 198. 4.53.

I watched the Kansas State/TCU game because Johnston had four catches for around 150 yards. Wanted to see what happened.

I don't want to drag this out, so Brents will likely have to switch to safety. Unless he goes to a team that runs an almost exclusively zone-based backend, he is going to get smoked. A lot. Any WR that runs average routes is going to be wide open against Brents. He simply doesn't have the feet to stick with NFL receivers.

Quentin Johnston was shutout against Georgia by Ringo, a CB I am not that high on. Ringo lacks instincts, as previously mentioned. Brents lacks the instincts for deep-coverage and the physical skills to simply get by on athletic talent. He did look good on the INT in the endzone, but unless we can convince other teams to not send their receivers more than 20 yards downfield, we can't count on that too often.

Now I do enjoy Brents physical style of play. He has the range to play FS and the tackling acumen to come down in the box. There is a lot to like about him as a draft pick. He'll easily stay with most TEs or RBs in man-coverage. His long limbs allow him to get in the passing window. He will absolutely de-cleat people.

Bottom line: I like Brents as a player. Any other year and I would be screaming for the Ravens to take him. He's gonna be a beast on special-teams his rookie year, and then start at safety. We only have five picks and arguably the best safety room in the league.

ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    DEVON WITHERSPOON, ILLINOIS (SENIOR | 6-0, 180)

• 2022 PFF Grade: 92.0
    • Play Style: DOG

Witherspoon may not have the size of others on this list, but none can hold a candle to his performance this past fall. Witherspoon brought it every single week for the Fighting Illini in a way we, quite frankly, have never seen before in our nine years of college grading. He was targeted 63 times but allowed just 22 catches for 206 yards with three interceptions and 14 pass breakups. Oh, and he didn’t allow a single touchdown all season. Those numbers were good for a 25.0 passer rating — worse than spiking the ball every play.

And Witherspoon did it all while playing man coverage more often than any other cornerback in the draft class — 560 of the 738 defensive snaps Witherspoon played this past fall came with a man coverage call. Truly freaky stuff. Flip on the tape and you will see is a twitched-up corner who’s personally offended the receiver on the other side of the ball is trying to get open against him.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1614027591530254336
    I love, love, love Witherspoon. Not really a fan of player-to-HOFer comparisons, but he reminds me a little of Darrell Green.

Hate to do this, but y'all should do a side-by-side view of Witherspoon and Brents. Every INT Brents made was a bad throw/decision by the QB. Witherspoon is in the receiver's hip pocket the entire time.
    ProFootballMock

Emmanuel Forbes, Mississippi State. 6'1, 166#. 4.36.

Any chance we can get Forbes to switch to receiver? I'm not kidding. He has more pick-sixes than any of our receivers have TDs over the last two years. A lot of people don't know this, but Forbes and I used to be tight. We were chilling until the jerk intercepted a pass I made at a young lady. Took that to the house too.

I watched Mississippi State vs. Georgia because I wanted to see him against NFL talent. If this kid can pack on 24 pounds and still run a 4.45, he could be an all-pro. As it is, every time he goes to tackle someone I'm reminded of Dion Sanders comment about business decisions. It's not that Forbes lacks heart. Watch the video below and you'll see him tangle with Washington while trying to set the edge. Far more effective than you'd think, which hopefully isn't very. He's simply not very big.

Forbes is a technically proficient CB who displays above average instincts for the position. He can give up passes but it's usually because of a hell of a play by the receiver. He breaks on the ball as well as any player I've seen over the last few years. Possesses the hands and body control for the highlight reel INT. The shiftiness and awareness to take any mistakes back to the house. Also known to block kicks. Everything about this kid screams playmaker. Best of all he's judicious with risks. Don't expect him to bite on a lot of double moves.

He is slender, even by CB standards. Dude played hide-and-seek by leaning against a stop-sign. Will fight to bring down the ball carrier, but is much more of a hold-'em up until reinforcements arrive type.

Bottom line: I've got a second round grade on him. Teams will probably try him at returner with some success. He's electric with the ball in his hands. He'll likely flirt with the league lead in INTs every season. So why the second round grade? He's gonna get run over. I'd be thrilled to get him if we trade back a bit.
    ProFootballMock