Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: French Bulldogs

French Bulldogs

I think we are getting one in the next few weeks. Any French BD people here?

We have 2 dogs now, a Shiba Inu/Beagle mix and Pug/Boston Terrier mix. The Beagle mix is 11 and female and the Bug is 2 1/2 male attention whore/bully. The younger one harasses the older dog and really needs a playmate and another dog to take the alpha role.

My brother has 3 Frenchies with his fiance and they are funny, colorful animals. They are going to help us pick one out. My kid is infatuated with them and my wife, who was never a dog person to begin with, also religiously watches funny French Bulldog videos on her phone.

Should be interesting. Not crazy about getting a puppy but my oldest is living with us this Summer and should be able to help raise it.
    Last edited by BustOfPallas; 03-22-2023 at 03:24 PM.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: French Bulldogs

I am an adopt the mutts kind of guy. We have two, a Beagle/Spaniel mix and what my wife calls our Heinz 57 (she has chihuahua for sure, but other things as well). Both came from Double Dog Dare Rescue.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I think we are getting one in the next few weeks. Any French BD people here?

We have 2 dogs now, a Shiba Inu/Beagle mix and Pug/Boston Terrier mix. The Beagle mix is 11 and female and the Bug is 2 1/2 male attention whore/bully. The younger one harasses the older dog and really needs a playmate and another dog to take the alpha role.

My brother has 3 Frenchies with his fiance and they are funny, colorful animals. They are going to help us pick one out. My kid is infatuated with them and my wife, who was never a dog person to begin with, also religiously watches funny French Bulldog videos on her phone.

Should be interesting. Not crazy about getting a puppy but my oldest is living with us this Summer and should be able to help raise it.
    My daughter has one. An absolute hellion. I've never seen a dog with that much energy. He will play himself out to the point of exhaustion. IDK if all of them are like that but be prepared for high maintenance if you get one. Some of them have digestive issues due to their breeding. Some have breathing issues. And they slobber all the time.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    My daughter has one. An absolute hellion. I've never seen a dog with that much energy. He will play himself out to the point of exhaustion. IDK if all of them are like that but be prepared for high maintenance if you get one. Some of them have digestive issues due to their breeding. Some have breathing issues. And they slobber all the time.
    I think we are going to get a pretty good one as my brothers fiance is a breeder. Is it a boy or a girl? I think if it's a boy we'll keep his nuts in tact if he has good/desireable genetic traits. We really need a new alpha as the Bug is such a skittish needy dickhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I am an adopt the mutts kind of guy. We have two, a Beagle/Spaniel mix and what my wife calls our Heinz 57 (she has chihuahua for sure, but other things as well). Both came from Double Dog Dare Rescue.
    I have an adopt-a-mutt as well. Mom was a nearly purebred Australian Cattle Dog and unknown dad was a mix of everything.
    That said, I actually LOVE Bully Breeds and would absolutely get a French or English Bulldog:

They can have skin issues(yeast infections, dry skin) and some prolapsed butthole issues, and of course need cesariam sections, but they are lazy loveable dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I think we are going to get a pretty good one as my brothers fiance is a breeder. Is it a boy or a girl? I think if it's a boy we'll keep his nuts in tact if he has good/desireable genetic traits. We really need a new alpha as the Bug is such a skittish needy dickhead.
    Kabal (my daughter's dog) is a male. Your new Frenchie will be the alpha, lol. They don't realize how small they are and will challenge dogs much larger in size.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I have an adopt-a-mutt as well. Mom was a nearly purebred Australian Cattle Dog and unknown dad was a mix of everything.
    That said, I actually LOVE Bully Breeds and would absolutely get a French or English Bulldog:

They can have skin issues(yeast infections, dry skin) and some prolapsed butthole issues, and of course need cesariam sections, but they are lazy loveable dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow that is a crazy mix right there.

I swear the boston terrier mix we have turns his rectum inside out every time he shits. It's so disgusting to watch. First time I saw him do it I thought he shit his intestines out. Disgusting. I love the litte jerk though.
    Last edited by BustOfPallas; 03-22-2023 at 04:30 PM.

Kabal (my daughter's dog) is a male. Your new Frenchie will be the alpha, lol. They don't realize how small they are and will challenge dogs much larger in size.
    We borrowed a female Frenchie from my brother and our Bug tried to get in her face and intimidate her and she bum rushed him and nearly knocked his legs out from under him and his eyes were all fear.

It was amazing but just like that the new pecking order was established. It was like first prison fight. The Frenchie had it all sorted in like 1 minute with both dogs. Sweet dog in all other ways but took no crap from the other two.

Thx for info. I will keep everyone posted.

Those things are too damn glhyper for me, I'm more of a English bulldog type guy. Or a rock.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    Those things are too damn glhyper for me, I'm more of a English bulldog type guy. Or a rock.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    They are aggressively affectionate. My brothers are. I think dogs like having a pack to run in so I'm happy my other animals will have a companion. It will be hard for the boston terrier mix because they guard attention and are like spoiled poorly raised 5 year olds when it comes to hogging attention. I think that is just because my other beagle mix is not an alpha and lets the boy get away with it.

We are probably going to get a boy and I think if his genetic traits are good he can keep his nuts and my sister in law can breed him with hers if she wants. She's a breeder. We have a fenced in back yard so if it gets crazy and it's not to hot, outside they all go.

I have a lilac male. No digestive issues or slobbering at all unlike my American bully who cannot eat food s with chicken and slobbers a lot.. My Frenchie snores but I would not call that a breathing issue. Yes , he is full of energy, funny. They are prone to chew on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmoreblitz View Post
    I have a lilac male. No digestive issues or slobbering at all unlike my American bully who cannot eat food s with chicken and slobbers a lot.. My Frenchie snores but I would not call that a breathing issue. Yes , he is full of energy, funny. They are prone to chew on everything.
    Not looking forward to breaking in a puppy. Our bug chewed some stuff up. We don't have fancy furniture or anything but that's what young dogs do until they figure out they are only allowed to chew their stuff. It takes time and you have to give them stuff that is acceptable to chew. Their own stuff.