Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hendon Hooker

Blog Entries

Re: Hendon Hooker

Quote Originally Posted by ravens82 View Post
    If Lamar plays on the tag, Hooker with a 2nd or 3rd round pick makes a lot of sense. Hooker gets time to rehab and learn the offense, and provides insurance in case Lamar eventually leaves. If Lamar gets injured late in the season, Hooker could get an opportunity to show us he's starter material. Huntley has already proven he is not.
    The Ravens don't have a 2nd round pick in the 2023 NFL Draft... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    True but they could trade down and pick up 2 2nd round picks. We've seen that before. I don't know if it's worth it in this draft though. It's not very deep

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    True but they could trade down and pick up 2 2nd round picks. We've seen that before. I don't know if it's worth it in this draft though. It's not very deep
    I am usually a huge advocate for trading down the first rounder into multiple 2&3’s.
    I agree with you about the depth being poor this year and I wouldn’t do it.

4. Re: Hendon Hooker

I've been critical of the concept of drafting Hendon Hooker for 2 reasons. The first is his age. He's 25 born a year and week after Lamar Jackson. You're drafting a guy who is going to be 30 on his rookie contract. I don't think that's worked out for any QB in the NFL since Roger Staubach who of course had to fulfill his Navy commitment.

My second issue is the ACL tear. Hooker suffered this injury November 19. That's going to impact his offseason and probably his regular season. We all saw Dobbins, Gus and Peters this past season miss well into the regular season and not look ready most of the rest of 2022. Jameson Williams was another one who did not get back for the Lions until December. Imagine being a rookie QB and not able to work. On the flip side Joe Burrow also tore his ACL and MCL as a rookie in November and was back for the preseason his next year. All injuries are not equal but it's very difficult to judge them. A team is going to have to figure this out in regard to Hooker just 6 weeks from now in the draft.

Talent wise Hooker is very good. In my mind he's the 3rd best QB in this draft behind Young and Stroud. He does what Monken spoke about at his press conference which is to force defenses to defend every blade of grass. Hooker is also a great leader. Think Desmond Ridder confidence with better overall skills. He's a real pocket passer who moves around and sets and throws. When Hooker runs he's looking to run. He's not great at throwing on the run. These are Josh Allen type physical rushes. I do believe that Hooker fits what Monken wants to do much better than Levis, Richardson or McKee. If only he was healthy.

I do believe there is 1 scenario where Hooker makes a ton of sense for the Ravens. If Lamar ended up playing on the 1 year franchise contract then Hooker could get healthy and ready to take over in 2024. It would be just like Alex Smith with Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers and Jordan Love. You just forget about the age and let Hooker get healthy. Next season the Ravens and Lamar agree to move on. The big risk is if Lamar holds out it's going to be Huntley starting because Hooker won't be able to. The other complication is where do you draft this guy? At #22? Trade down into Round 2 and hope he's there while you just gave up on a 1st round WR or CB? Patrick Queen isn't getting back a 2nd round pick in a trade. How do the Ravens get Hooker if that's the direction they go in?

Is this the route that other posters here want to go in? I've read Hooker's name a lot over the past month so I know he's popular on this board. What would you do to get a player who just like Ojabo, isn't going to really help you in 2023? Should we even consider him since the Ravens have real needs from this draft and limited picks?
    He's a QB who should be better than Huntley. That's necessary.

He's a QB who won't be ready to start the season. Depending on what happens with Lamar, the Ravens might need a QB who is both better than Huntley and ready to start the season.

5. Re: Hendon Hooker

Quote Originally Posted by GA_Baltimorean View Post
    I like his game, but I’d rather have Bennet paired with Monken if we’re going the older QB route.
    that's one of the "makes sense" things. And Bennett should be cheap, day 3.

Blog Entries

Possibly, but you can't count on it. In a shallow draft pool, trading back may add to your picks, but how much quality will you get? ... Bc

7. Re: Hendon Hooker

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    A weak arm isn't going to cut it in Baltimore in the AFC North, in December and January.
    he's not being brought in to be the starter.

but as something that makes sense. Monken + Bennett with the Ravens might work to some degree. He's a day 3 pick, and typically day 3 picks aren't all that great. Monken has proven ability to get big wins out of Bennett.

Monken hasn't really shown the ability to get wins from the overall 1 pick (Winston) or the overall 1 pick (Mayfield), but he has shown the ability to get big wins from Bennett.

Are the Ravens getting Roman back this year, 2023? Most would say no. So Monken it is. It would make sense to get Bennett, cheaply, day 3 pick. Maybe the Ravens somehow lose Lamar, and the choices could be Bennett and Huntley, and in that context, Bennett might be the better QB - for Monken.

Mike MacDonald should be our head coach next season

If Youre gonna say I said something, Quote me cause yall be lying.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post
    Good chart. It's what s.r. genovese was alluding to.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Yeah I was assuming a trade scenario for the 2nd rounder. If the Ravens pick any QB with their limited picks, it's an indication that Lamar is probably not going to be in Baltimore for long.

Positions we need are pretty deep. There are no WRs I'd take in the first, but a ton of good players to be had in the middle rounds. Cornerbacks are just loaded all the way through.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Good chart. It's what s.r. genovese was alluding to.
    there is no question that offense is very effective. Heupel had UCF going 12-1 in his first year and only loss was to LSU in the Fiesta Bowl.
    2019-20 were kind of wrecked by the covid shortened seasons but his offense is tough to slow down with those quick passes.

With the Vols and Hooker, he had them undefeated and ranked #1 in the country - they even beat Alabama which they NEVER do. It's a great system and certainly influenced the stats and success of Hooker and those receivers

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!