Pat Moriarity--Where does he fit in this mess?

Taking a moment to forget about the angst I feel towards harbaugh, decosta and jackson at the moment. We never seem to discuss Moriarity's roll in this mess. We always seem like we are up against the cap. We rarely have the cap flexibility to make necessary modifications to the roster. Other teams that are supposed to be in worse cap shape than us make moves to improve on paper. Each team has the same cap. Each team has high priced players. We have known about the potential of a mega deal to Jackson for a couple of years. Yet every year we seem to have cap issues.

I rather spend the few million on signings on core special team players and throw it towards meaningful upgrade at wide receiver.

Re: Pat Moriarity--Where does he fit in this mess?

I've never had an issue with how much the Ravens spend. My primary issue has been where they focus their spending. We had the highest paid secondary a few years ago. We just heavily paid a safety while spending money to bring in front 7 players. We spend money in free agency or in the trade market on defense without issue only to find excuses and reasons why we can't do the same on offense.

Blog Entries

This issue has been addressed many times by the likes of bmoreravor and others. It is not a cap space mess, we have ran the cap responsibly today and in the past compared to other teams. The reason we are usually up against the cap is because we sign most of our drafted players who become good players (except guards it seems!)... We also consistently spend to the cap every year to remain competitive... The teams that are flushed with cap space tend to be the bottom dwellers because they don't have any good players. We don't want to be in that position. It's like the "let's just tank to pick #1 overal"... We should never be aiming for that.

You can argue about the players who they've spent money on Vs who the let go yada yada... Those are the types of things that keep you back from being a SB contender. The signings we've made and the players we've drafted over the years have mostly been positive but unfortunately none have really put us over the top yet. This is where EDC needs to improve.

Blog Entries

Moriarity doesn't make personnel decisions. He does the contracts with who is told and how is told. I'm sure if DeCosta requests something that he feels is difficult to accomplish he lets him know but DeCosta is the decision maker. Moriarity is the facilitator.

Blog Entries

Also let's not forget that if it wasn't for having to use a franchise tag on Lamar, we'd be be one of the top half teams with cap space. If Lamar is traded and we draft a rookie, it's going to be interesting to see what the Ravens will do with all that excess space when the free agency period has been and gone.

Quote Originally Posted by beavery View Post
    Taking a moment to forget about the angst I feel towards harbaugh, decosta and jackson at the moment. We never seem to discuss Moriarity's roll in this mess. We always seem like we are up against the cap. We rarely have the cap flexibility to make necessary modifications to the roster. Other teams that are supposed to be in worse cap shape than us make moves to improve on paper. Each team has the same cap. Each team has high priced players. We have known about the potential of a mega deal to Jackson for a couple of years. Yet every year we seem to have cap issues.

I rather spend the few million on signings on core special team players and throw it towards meaningful upgrade at wide receiver.
    The Ravens have a more well developed “middle class” than most any other team.

This means we typically also have On my way! Of the deeper rosters in football.

The problem is, ALL of these “core special steamers” at $2m/year a piece only add up to maybe a $10m/yr received plus a half dozen worse special teamers.

For round numbers, an UDFA costs roughly $1m/year, so a players cost above that number is really all that is pertinent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beavery View Post

Does he even make decisions? He's the cap expert and contract negotiator. But he's only signing who EDC wants on the team. I'm guessing he gives EDC and his staff all the #'s and options as it pertains to the cap. Final decision falls on EDC and I'm sure Bisciotti to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Also let's not forget that if it wasn't for having to use a franchise tag on Lamar, we'd be be one of the top half teams with cap space. If Lamar is traded and we draft a rookie, it's going to be interesting to see what the Ravens will do with all that excess space when the free agency period has been and gone.
    Other teams get deals DONE with their QBs in year 3, the Ravens fuck around and dick around and let QBs get to 5th year options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    They let it sit and carry it over to next year when they make the most of it