Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Offensive linemen in the draft.

Let's get the first part out of the way. What do I look for in offensive linemen?

- Quickness. This is often overlooked in a position well known for power, but if you can't get your hands on someone, you can't block them.

- Power. If you get your hands on someone, but they proceed to slap you around, you can't block them.

- Intelligence. OL are often the most intelligent players on the field because they're required to process a lot of information in a very short amount of times against large, angry men. Playing in the trenches means they have to be aware of stunts and other trickery.

Our first lineman is Sir Lumpty of Fattingtonshire. 6'3, 310. 5.4 forty.

Okay, this one is more of a future pick so he should be ready in about six years. Not the most graceful of lumps, but quite annoying. Unfortunately reminds a lot of people of his dad. Needs to work on hand usage, though still holds up well in pass-protection. DEs have to take breathers when rushing around the butt-chinned mountain. Excellent run blocker. Think of a focused avalanche; fluffy, white, known to devour entire caribou.

Pros: Big. Can block out the sun. Highly intelligent and quickly recognizes blitzes. Amazing cook.

Cons: Needs to clean his room. Smells faintly of garlic.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

2. Re: Offensive linemen in the draft.

310 isn't big. 5.4 40 is slow.

Re: Offensive linemen in the draft.

I don't think we'll be drafting an OL this year. They're probably happy with the returning group but some solid camp-bodies can make the final roster. With that in mind I'm going to ignore anybody projected in the first two days.

First of the real offensive linemen I want to look at is Sidy Sow. Guard, Eastern Michigan. 6'5, 323. 5.07 forty.

Sow is an athletic big-man with some bad habits that solid coaching should fix. He grew up in Canada then played college ball at Eastern Michigan, a championship sub-division school. Despite playing almost 3,000 snaps, he still looks a little robotic out there. On the other hand, he's only given up 9 sacks in 1,956 passing snaps (per PFF. It's in the video below).

I've read that it will be necessary for Sow to be in a power gap scheme if he is to stick around. I disagree. Now I'm not saying he'll fit every system. A true zone like the old Broncos used to run is not going to fit him. What I've seen of Monken's offense, Sow would be a capable backup if given a year to learn.

A quick read on Monken's offense.
    https://www.dawgsports.com/2020/9/17...ack-film-study
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    310 isn't big. 5.4 40 is slow.
    He's 14.
    ProFootballMock

Up next we have Gabe Houy. Tackle/Guard Pittsburgh. 6'6, 325. Somewhere in the 5.3 to 5.5 range forty, maybe.

I'm generally very good at finding scouting reports on these guys, comparing what the different pundits say, then watching some film to make a final assessment that means absolutely nothing. Gade Houy would be ruining my rep, if I had one. Got one highlight film, some decent game film, and one write up on draftbuzz.

Not sure if he's mean enough to make it. Some guys, like Jon Ogden, are capable of looking almost nice out there, gently playing pattycake with the defenders. Those guys are HOFers who are in the conversation of greatest linemen ever. Everybody else has to get nasty. Houy had some solid reps in what I saw. Good kick-slide and used his long arms to keep defenders off his chest. Got up to the second level and blocked a few DBs, which isn't easy. Didn't really see him just bury anybody, though. I want to see the defensive linemen in the dirt, flat on his ass. In deference to the classic American football manga, Eye Shield 21, we will now be referring to flatbacks as blue-sky. Because the lineman is staring up at the blue-sky. Get it?

Anywho, disturbing side tracks into my giant nerdism aside, I think Houy has the athletic ability to play swing-tackle in a Monken offense. We don't want to leave him on an island, and he's likely too high-legged to be a guard, but in a pinch he'd work.

ProFootballMock

Oh man, I love this next film.

Tashawn Manning, Kentucky, Guard. 6'3, 327, 5.34 forty.

Up front, I don't believe Manning fits what Monken will be doing with the offense. That said, there is always going to be a place in the NFL for drive blocking monsters. We're going to see the Florida film, and we're gonna watch Manning knock the crap out of people. He plays nasty, hitting, scrapping, head is always on a swivel looking for someone else to hit. Anchors like a wall in pass protection. Hands never stop moving.

Manning isn't as athletic as I like my linemen. Once he gets out in space he appears lost. As much as I like Manning's hands when their moving, he has a tendency to throw them out wide. That's how holding penalties happen. As I've tried to teach the kid, hands in aiming for their chest.

Bottom line is Manning is a 7th round/priority free agent right now. If he goes to a team that values power blocking where he can work in a phone booth, he will very likely sign a second contract worth a decent amount of change. Whether that team is the Ravens, I don't know.

ProFootballMock

I don’t mind drafting an OLineman every year. Late pick only and trust your scouts to find a good one to develop.

This year QB, DLine, Edge, CB, WR and LB are probably all a greater need…. but then aside from WR & CB, we should be drafting for Best Player available among the list of positions we need.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
    I don’t mind drafting an OLineman every year. Late pick only and trust your scouts to find a good one to develop.

This year QB, DLine, Edge, CB, WR and LB are probably all a greater need…. but then aside from WR & CB, we should be drafting for Best Player available among the list of positions we need.
    I'm thinking two CBs, two WRs, and an ED. If we somehow get more picks, then we can start looking at other positions.
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    I'm thinking two CBs, two WRs, and an ED. If we somehow get more picks, then we can start looking at other positions.
    Definitely see the 5 picks this way too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm pissed off for greatness!!

Twitter Bmore Finest

Offensive linemen in the draft.

It appears that way but I would do 1ED, 1CB, 1WR, 1QB & 1OL (last pick).

The better options at everything will be gone before pick 86. We really only get 1 shot at a good one OR trade down and get a second shot but get a less good choice as the first 1.

I would consider trading Queen for an early third but doubt anyone will offer that. That pick could become a Tillman or Perry…. Tillman goes first in many mock drafts I see.

I think I prefer a CB at our first pick but not sure I want fourth choice at that position. Edge could be BPA at our first pick and doing that is probably our best use of assets.

Maybe a trade down to 24, then to 27 could still get us the fourth CB and gain enough picks to move into that pick 70 range where your preferred WRs are likely to go. Maintaining that pick we currently have and adding a pick before then

Blog Entries

if ever there was a draft where they would trade down for more picks, this is it.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Im hoping Vorhees injury allows him to slip to one of our lower picks. I like his size/strength and his competitiveness. Probably an inside only guy, but with his size maybe he still gives us an option as a swing tackle in a pinch.

It would be nice to get him back mid season as depth this year, but really wed be looking at him to be a starter next year. I think its a good fit for a value player falling in the draft, and a future need. I agree with others, OL is something I think we can draft every year, but I do think we have a lot more needs elsewhere at the moment. When youre missing picks, you have to make them count.
    -JAB