View Poll Results: Is the NFLPA giving good advice to Lamar?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definitely

1 2.63%
  • No way

37 97.37%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: D. Smith speaks

Re: D. Smith speaks

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Because he's going to get a better one. Just like some posters assume he's an unintelligible idiot because he doesn't speak well and keeps his personal life private and is rather quiet outside of a few social media posts, a lot of posters are suddenly taking all of these teams at face value and now convinced that they are all telling the truth and that no one is even gunning for Lamar and that Lamar won't get a better offer. We've all been watching football for a long time. How many times have we heard teams say they won't trade someone, but end up trading them? Or say they're not interested in someone, but end up meeting with them. Teams lie all the time.
    Did you read the piece? This is bigger than Lamar Jackson. Battles lines have been drawn. Lamar has himself caught between a battle between the owners and the Union. Noone is going to extend an offer sheet to Lamar. Not because they don't think he's worth it but because they are now sending a message. They aren't going to fully guarantee any mire long term deals. They are willing to sign a lesser talent to send that message.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    DeMaurice Smith would run Lamar right out of the NFL if he thought it would help him with a collusion suit. Go watch his interviews. All Smith cares about is how many statues they will build of him after they get these guaranteed contracts. He doesn't care about the average player at all. The players have benefited greatly from this last CBA with significant compensation increases from top to bottom. Smith advised them to vote against it because all he cares about is the top. That's where the headlines come from. Any player who listens to Smith or Goodell and thinks for a second that they have their best interests at is a complete and total idiot.
    He has some valid points though.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. Dupre View Post
    Haven’t thought about how it would affect cap management, but if the union forced all contracts to be fully guaranteed wouldn’t owners and GMs respond by limiting the term of contracts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    That wouldn't help the owners. Can you imagine the spike in these contracts every 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Again, another statement that completely ignores the FACT that there is a salary cap. The owners have NO MORE MONEY!

If the players want more money they need to negotiate a cap increase. That is the only way they, as a group, will see more money.
    I disagree that owners don't have money. They get the biggest piece of the revenue pie.

I agree that they need to negotiate a cap increase. That's what will happen if guaranteed contracts becomes the norm.

This is about putting the idea of guaranteed contracts out there as a thing that players should want both with their membership and the public at large.

It's about getting their membership and the public to see how opposed the owners are to it and prepping them for a fight in the next labor agreement over it. This whole situation is laying the groundwork for it. I would not be surprised if another player picks up the mantle once Lamar inevitably signs a deal that is not 100% guaranteed.

Lamar signs a deal here or elsewhere and when the next labor agreement comes they will use this whole saga to point to and show the players the owners are screwing them. The NFLPA has some points here. It's the riskiest major sport for the player. It's also the sport that is generating the most wealth for its owners. Meanwhile MLB and NBA players who have very little risk of permanent injury or CTE comparatively get fully guaranteed deals. This fight is coming and this is just the start.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

6. Re: D. Smith speaks

I just continue to chuckle at some of the comments here about collusion, etc. There is none. If you would stop for even a second to look at the whole picture of how this all works and do try to keep an open mind about it, you may start to understand it all. Start w/how the NE tag works. Tell me w/a straight face that you would put forth an offer sheet for Lamar (or any player). This is not straight up free agency or even teams talking about a simple (?) trade. If it were either of those things, we wouldn't be here. Tell me why there has been exactly ONE player ever to have actually switched teams and the 2 first round picks were swapped? Tell me why? Right there, if you'd even stop w/your bias towards the big bad owners for a second, that is? Just stop w/all the bitching about why there is "no demand" for Lamar. Bullshit. The way the NE is set up is the problem. Some fans say get rid of the tags completely. I'm not sure I'd agree w/that, but it may end up being the answer. You sign a contract for X number of years, you play until your contract is up, then you are a free agent. It's probably where it's headed. I'd at least accept that before I would all this bitching about all this other bullshit. I'd also add that all football players know the risk of the game going in and are paid ridiculous sums of money to play and it's a deal they make. Nobody is forcing or coercing them into it. You don't like it, go work at a real job.

Quote Originally Posted by StalkRavenMad View Post
    That wouldn't help the owners. Can you imagine the spike in these contracts every 3 years.
    Except they can't spike overall because of the salary cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    It’s leverage. PLAYERS want the money, the owners have it. The owners know fans are fans of teams more than they are the players. A player will leave or retire as soon as it’s good for them, so instead of having 85 jerseys, 72 different team, flags, and four different throw rugs, I’m just going to root for one singular team, that doesn’t change. I think this is where Lamar is screwing up, and most players. You are not bigger than the team, you never will be, and the overwhelming majority of fans are going to be a fan of the ravens long after you leave.

Ray Lewis was a lifelong raven, easily, the face of the franchise, and arguably the franchise is greatest player. He retired, so, if I was just a ray, Lewis fan, I no longer have any skin in the game. I was watching an undisputed, segment, terrible I know, and Shannon Sharpe said fans sided with the billionaires over the millionaires. He’s half right and half wrong. Most of us route for the owners, but it has very little to do with the fact that they have more money. It has everything to do with the fact that they on the team that I route for, the millionaires, or freelance workers, Lamar could be a raven today and a colt tomorrow. Call me crazy but I think the shelf life of a raven fan will be much longer. That’s really all this is.
    I agree but it’s not really about the fans. This is a battle of wills between the owner and the players. Majority of fans are hardly ever on the players side in labor disputes it hasn’t stopped previous lockouts and strikes. Lamar and the NFLPA will ultimately give in because the owners are colluding and no one will fold. They were hoping someone would break (only takes one team) but the consequences are too high because as D Smith mentions this isnt just about Lamar it’s about Burrow, Herbert , Hurts and ultimately every contract that follows.

D smith argues guaranteed contracts have never been done in a cba but that might be where it has to be done in this sport. They’ve already lost this battle - aside from some team breaking their only hope was a lot of media attention on the collusion but that’s not happening. Is anyone even talking about this letter? I tried searching for mention of it on ESPN and google and can’t find shit outside the NFLPAs website. Almost like the league friendly media organizations are afraid to speak on it.

Blog Entries

Seeing a lot of people posting here about how the Owners don't want gaurenteed contracts purely cos of their wallets. This is completely false. It's because it's bad for the salary cap. Biscotti wouldn't be paying Lamar gaurenteed money out of his pocket, this would be coming from the Ravens bank account. Sure there are some owners like Mike Brown that use the franchise as their main income stream, who wouldn't want to put that money into escrow.... But most owners use NFL franchises as an asset not a personal wallet.

The aim of the nflpa should be getting more money in the hands of the back up running back that's out of the league in 4 years, or the special teams gunner, or the sub nose tackle who only plays 3rd and short.

Not the premier qb or wr or pass rusher. They get enough.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StalkRavenMad View Post
    I disagree that owners don't have money. They get the biggest piece of the revenue pie.

I agree that they need to negotiate a cap increase. That's what will happen if guaranteed contracts becomes the norm.
    That's something for 2029 when this CBA expires. Until then it's not going to happen except on a short term deal.

12. Re: D. Smith speaks

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    The aim of the nflpa should be getting more money in the hands of the back up running back that's out of the league in 4 years, or the special teams gunner, or the sub nose tackle who only plays 3rd and short.

Not the premier qb or wr or pass rusher. They get enough.
    I do totally agree the money needs to be spread out more. Paying a QB all that money is ridiculous, but it's probably here to stay and is market driven. Tough to get out in front of that. Paying those others guys would mean less for the spoiled divas and good luck on that front.