Watching the XFL reminded me of something the management of the team formerly known as the Slurs said when they were considering a new team name. They rejected fan and player favorite "Redwolves" because a college team has that name and it would cause too many trademark issues.

But...
Cleveland renamed their team "Guardians" despite the XFL already having the New York/Orland Guardians, and HELLO, have they ever heard of the multiple teams in different sports in both college and professional leagues called Cardinals and Giants? If they really wanted a military name that bad, they could have went with Warriors, which Snyder already had trademarked - just use a military logo rather than something Native American, for crying out loud.

I mean, Commanders flat-out sucks - and we're all going to call them the Commies from now on, which is the exact opposite of the image they're trying to project.

And don't get me started on why Houston has a lame name like Texans when Roughnecks was out there. Hell, even Wildcatters (which was in the running) would have been better. McNair said "Houston Texans" just sounded natural. Well, of course it did! You're used to saying "Houston, Texas" all the time. It's like naming a team the Philadelphia Pennsylanians.

One more thing: technically, there ARE Cardinals in Arizona, but it's not exactly the state bird. If you're packing the entire team up and moving it halfway across the country, could you at least rename the team something that reflects the new geographical area it's in? Roadrunners, Diamondbacks, anything.

Makes me thankful we aren't rooting for the Baltimore Browns.