Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Why are multiple 1st round picks worth giving up a QB?

Quote Originally Posted by 2bynight View Post
    Lots of discussion that we should be able to get at least two 1st round picks for Lamar. I would like to know why people consider that worth it unless the belief is Lamar is not that good of a QB or that his salary would kill off our ability to acquire weapons to support him. If you believe Lamar has the potential to take us to a SB why would numerous 1st round picks be worth it to give up a high ranked QB? 1st rounders can still be a bust as we have seen. Isn't the purpose of a 1st round pick to find someone like Lamar in a QB or other skill position?

Lamar is worth multiple 1st round picks and probably additional compensation because he is one of the top ELITE players in the league and he just happens to play QB the most important position.

Teams Struggle for years, sometimes decades to find just 1 guy. Ask teams like The Jets, , even the Bengals on how important it is to have a QB like that. Jets have been searching for a QB since Joe Namath.

The draft is never a guarantee but the more picks you get the higher your chances increase of finding great players.

But it is absurd for people saying (Oh Lamar has been sick or he has missed games) to not want to pay him. I do not see those same posters saying a damn thing about Ronnie Stanley who is paid a shit ton of money, who missed two entire years of football. We do not have threads upon threads saying he needs to be traded.

There are unfortunately people who hate Lamar for some personal absurd reason, or want to see him fail for some ridiculous absurd reasons that probably for some are not even football related.

If this team trades Lamar, and goes back to the search for a QB like they did for the first decade plus much like their current WR search/Woes are that is truly going to suck.

I also am coming to the belief that Lamar may just not want to be here.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Nobody is worth a long time guaranteed contract with the way the nfl is currently set up
    One of the things that Brian McFarland brought up is that if Watson suffered a career ending injury the Browns would have to keep him on the roster. If for example something happened to him the game of last year and he retired the Browns would have a $185 million cap charge for the year. The cap for 2023 is around $225. How do you field a team at $40 million for the season? You can't. They would have to just eat a roster spot and $55 million each year until they used up enough of it to get Watson off the team.

These 100% guarateed deals for huge money over many years carry significant risk. No way would I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    I do not see those same posters saying a damn thing about Ronnie Stanley who is paid a shit ton of money, who missed two entire years of football. We do not have threads upon threads saying he needs to be traded.
    LOL there was a TON of negativity around Stanley over the last year. Mainly around his unavailability. But he also wasn't holding up the team for a franchise-busting $250MM fully guaranteed, either.

There are unfortunately people who hate Lamar for some personal absurd reason, or want to see him fail for some ridiculous absurd reasons that probably for some are not even football related.
    Hate Lamar? Really? I don't see that. I do hate that he might have torpedoed a playoff run because he didn't want to play ball unless he was 100%, and the same thing happened with Stanley albeit Stanley wasn't the difference maker whether we advanced in the playoffs or not.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Lamar is worth multiple 1st round picks and probably additional compensation because he is one of the top ELITE players in the league and he just happens to play QB the most important position.

Teams Struggle for years, sometimes decades to find just 1 guy. Ask teams like The Jets, , even the Bengals on how important it is to have a QB like that. Jets have been searching for a QB since Joe Namath.

The draft is never a guarantee but the more picks you get the higher your chances increase of finding great players.

But it is absurd for people saying (Oh Lamar has been sick or he has missed games) to not want to pay him. I do not see those same posters saying a damn thing about Ronnie Stanley who is paid a shit ton of money, who missed two entire years of football. We do not have threads upon threads saying he needs to be traded.

If this team trades Lamar, and goes back to the search for a QB like they did for the first decade plus much like their current WR search/Woes are that is truly going to suck.
    I disagree about people not wanting Stanley out of here. He’s a good example of what happens when an injury prone player signs a big contract. The problem is - who on earth would trade for him. He’ll only give you a couple of games a year. As far as Lamar goes, I’d like him traded (if we can) for the simple fact that he will only take a fully guaranteed contract and he can’t play at the end of the season (last 2 years). What good is an elite quarterback who isn’t available when you need them the most. I haven’t seen Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, etc missed the last quarter of a season 2 years in a row. I’d love to see him traded, but I just don’t see us getting as much as many people think we’ll get for him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I also am coming to the belief that Lamar may just not want to be here.
    I'm not saying he did whatsoever, but I without the agent buffer I could definitely see Lamar taking offense to a max offer of 133M in full guarantees if he's seeking Watson level guarantees. That's 100M in difference and it's why if these numbers are accurate there is minimal chance they make a deal. I dunno what other teams will do but that's for other teams to decide. Lamar said during the season he had made his mind up and I'm sure the Ravens have too at this point. Nothing that happened this season would be enough to substantially change where the Ravens were at number wise. From Lamar's side he had to put up with another season of Greg's bullshit and 17 TEs to throw to with no WRs and still played pretty well so what is his reason to drop his number?
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    One of the things that Brian McFarland brought up is that if Watson suffered a career ending injury the Browns would have to keep him on the roster. If for example something happened to him the game of last year and he retired the Browns would have a $185 million cap charge for the year. The cap for 2023 is around $225. How do you field a team at $40 million for the season? You can't. They would have to just eat a roster spot and $55 million each year until they used up enough of it to get Watson off the team.

These 100% guarateed deals for huge money over many years carry significant risk. No way would I do it.
    Exactly. You can do those deals in baseball. Not in the NFL, unless you want to take on enormous risk of your franchise being in nuclear winter for a few years.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

I agree with all the above points made by posters and appreciate their generosity to respond to my question. I know the question in several different ways has been hashed out in other threads and really wanted to consolidate under a single heading with the main question. Personally, I would like to see Lamar stay, but only in a contract friendly environment that does not burn the team down the road when we need to acquire other players but cannot do so because our cap is maxed. The Ravens have made huge strides in defense especially with Roquan leading the way. The major glaring deficiencies are pass rush on D and of course a terrible last place WR room. If we do trade Lamar, get a good QB - does not need to be elite - but one who can make accurate passes and has the ability to scramble and extend plays. Then let the RBs do their thing and have WRs who can make breaks in space and catch a contested ball. Add pass rush and a replacement for Peters. We'll be a pretty complete team.

You’re making shot up again. People on here were killing Stanley. Posters were calling him soft and not having any desire to play. People wanted to cut him before the season. Signing him to an absurd contract will have same effect as not having a QB. It will be even worse if they sign him to an absurd contract and he continues to not be able to finish the season.

It also depends on the picks being offered.

If we were offered Texas's 2nd pick in the draft and could choose a QB we like, who also has potential to be more than good, I would take that guy on a rookie deal over Lamar, because this would allow us to sign 1-3 more top tier players.

But I could be wrong. Elway was worth more than what we got for him.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post

IMO, no other owner will do it either for these objective and logical reasons despite D. Smith's claims of collusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch11 View Post
    You’re making shot up again. People on here were killing Stanley. Posters were calling him soft and not having any desire to play. People wanted to cut him before the season. Signing him to an absurd contract will have same effect as not having a QB. It will be even worse if they sign him to an absurd contract and he continues to not be able to finish the season.
    All that poster does is make shit up…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk