Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Salary Cap for 2023 bumped to $224.8M, from $208.2M

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Pappas View Post
    https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/...343618560?s=20

I nice increase... could impact the Ravens on multiple fronts.
    The increase has already been accounted for when discussing where the Ravens are with their off-season plans/cap.

This is just a confirmation of that. Will still be extremely cap strapped.

We have $27.8 million cap space going into the off-season. That’s without any type of number for Lamar.

Even with a long term deal, we are going to have to restructure more guys once again and possibly some cuts.

One giant question is that when the franchise tag window opens, what in the hell are they doing to do?

Window opens Feb 21st and closes March 7th. Free agency then begins on March 15th. March 15th the team needs to be in compliance with the cap.

With that said, I am assuming the FO will have to cut/restructuring and make very early decisions on those players.

So we will know what is happening with Lamar early in the off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Doesn't mean much given projection of the Ravens cap was based on $225m.

Over the cap has it at 225.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Or that they can dump 16m more into the secondary.
    Peters is not under contract correct? So I don't think they will spend more money on the secondary than they did this year. Even if they sign someone first year cap hit wont be high.

Quote Originally Posted by joedirt View Post
    Peters is not under contract correct? So I don't think they will spend more money on the secondary than they did this year. Even if they sign someone first year cap hit wont be high.
    Peters is not under contract anymore, per "Player Contract Details" on this site. We're gonna need to re-sign him, draft or sign another starting QB. Or... roll with Brandon Stephens

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens4Real View Post
    One giant question is that when the franchise tag window opens, what in the hell are they doing to do?

Window opens Feb 21st and closes March 7th. Free agency then begins on March 15th. March 15th the team needs to be in compliance with the cap.

With that said, I am assuming the FO will have to cut/restructuring and make very early decisions on those players.

So we will know what is happening with Lamar early in the off-season.
    They wait until March 7th. They won't tag Lamar until the last possible moment. Deadlines push negotiations. I doubt they'll get a deal done but they'll try until they're out of time

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    They wait until March 7th. They won't tag Lamar until the last possible moment. Deadlines push negotiations. I doubt they'll get a deal done but they'll try until they're out of time
    Agreed, and then the next “deadline” is the draft. If they don’t have a deal done by then, they will have a trade worked out. They will take whatever the best offer is a day or two prior to the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have $27.8 million cap space going into the off-season. That’s without any type of number for Lamar.

Even with a long term deal, we are going to have to restructure more guys once again and possibly some cuts.

All of which goes to show that NFL contracts aren't worth the paper they are printed on. They all depend on 'future money' that the player 99.9% of the time the player will never see.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I guess my worry isn’t about the deal getting done past the March 15th start date of free agency.

Franchise tag sitting at $40+ million. We have $27 million in space. Going to have to be some restructuring and major decisions just to clear the franchise tag number. We need to be cap compliant on the 15th of March.

Will probably see Roquan, Andrews, Stanley, and Humphrey restructured before the new league year ever begins if we can’t get a long term deal in place.

A couple of those guys will be restructured just to get Lamar’s franchise tag in place. Why I have been saying that Lamar not signing a deal is holding us hostage in free agency. If he continues to not sign a long term deal, we have to jump through many hoops to get his number in our cap.

We simply can’t have him on the tag come the start of the new year if we want to upgrade through free agency. It’s either a long term deal or he’s traded by March 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    [/b]

All of which goes to show that NFL contracts aren't worth the paper they are printed on. They all depend on 'future money' that the player 99.9% of the time the player will never see.
    If you get restructured, those players see their money on the spot. Then the team pays for it in the future. Something we are doing for the next couple of years with some guys.

Blog Entries

I guess my worry isn’t about the deal getting done past the March 15th start date of free agency.

Franchise tag sitting at $40+ million. We have $27 million in space. Going to have to be some restructuring and major decisions just to clear the franchise tag number. We need to be cap compliant on the 15th of March.

Will probably see Roquan, Andrews, Stanley, and Humphrey restructured before the new league year ever begins if we can’t get a long term deal in place.

A couple of those guys will be restructured just to get Lamar’s franchise tag in place. Why I have been saying that Lamar not signing a deal is holding us hostage in free agency. If he continues to not sign a long term deal, we have to jump through many hoops to get his number in our cap.

We simply can’t have him on the tag come the start of the new year if we want to upgrade through free agency. It’s either a long term deal or he’s traded by March 15th.
    It may not get that far. If they're still as far apart as they were in August then this might not make it to March 15th.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore