Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: The QB/Head coach 5 year rule.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    That was Stabler’s 7th year with Madden. Are you saying that “with a coach” actually means “as the starter with a coach “?
    I assume that means as a starter. (It's not my chart) It's tough to win a SB if you're not playing. Technically, I guess you could argue that Lamar's 5th season as a starter is next year if he's here. So, they better plan on winning it next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
    Another factor is why the window of five years? Why not three or four? One should take into account that Jackson only finished three seasons. There are QB-HC duos who won after three years.
    The reasons a QB didn't win a SB can be varied. Injuries play a part, too. If we want to micro-manage the stat we can probably do so but the big picture still holds. First time winners do it within 5 years with the same coach. That's why the focus is on that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
    Another factor is why the window of five years? Why not three or four? One should take into account that Jackson only finished three seasons. There are QB-HC duos who won after three years.
    That's obvious. 5 years is your max length of rookie contract. After that, things get more expensive, especially in the modern context, and in a salary capped league, if you can't get it done before 5 years in, its only going to get tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by veritas View Post
    Whether anyone goes isn't the point. The point is that expecting to buck a 52 year trend probably isn't that wise. It'll be a 53 year trend no matter who wins this year. BTW, Mac Jones has only been in NE two seasons.
    Agreed but according to this thread it has never been done so it is highly unlikely to happen. My point is that since it hasn't happened previously then what change should be made? If things stay the same then we will not win a SB? As far as Jones, he is one of a handful of young QBs/HC duos who are on the clock, including Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Hurts, etc. Does this mean Dak and Dallas will not win a SB now? Maybe it is time for a change in Dallas?

This is very interesting but trends are always broken. It will just be interesting to see if anyone breaks this trend in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    I don't think there's any grand hypothesis here.

I also think there is a grain of truth

If you have a partnership of 5 years, And you don't get it done there is likely some sort of systemic issue or issues preventing it from happening.

In our case I think our different factions in our fan base have different logics for why we didn't get it done in the 1st Lamar window.

I think there are grains of truth to all of it.

We have had a coordinator issue, but it didn't stop us from having an MVP season And a high test unstoppable offense.

We did have a wide receiver issue, But it wasn't for A complete lack of trying. Mistakes picking Hollywood over bigger bodied alpha dogs, Bateman's injury, Poor scouting it seems on our later wide receiver picks and attempts. Some veteran wide receivers that worked out some that did not.

We had electric QB, But one who's work ethic and professionalism I think can be questioned

We have a proven had coach who and sometimes be too aggressive or too conservative which makes me question his feel for the game. But he was also dealing with different influences pulling him both ways

Either way we messed the window for figuring this out. Time to move on
    At least with this QB/HC combo. I agree that sometimes this organization is slow to make changes/adjustments because they seem to be content with the status quo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Agreed but according to this thread it has never been done so it is highly unlikely to happen. My point is that since it hasn't happened previously then what change should be made? If things stay the same then we will not win a SB? As far as Jones, he is one of a handful of young QBs/HC duos who are on the clock, including Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Hurts, etc. Does this mean Dak and Dallas will not win a SB now? Maybe it is time for a change in Dallas?

This is very interesting but trends are always broken. It will just be interesting to see if anyone breaks this trend in the future.
    McCarthy hasn't been the coach in Dallas for more than 5 years.

Harbaugh would enjoy this discussion

Lotta analytics

Blog Entries

No head coach has won a Super Bowl with 1 team and then won the Super Bowl again as the head coach of another team. That sure hasn't stopped teams from hiring Super Bowl winning head coaches.

If Lamar goes then Harbaugh has to go too. The Eagles going to the Super Bowl on what should have been our plan years ago is a total embarrassment.

Never thought I’d be rooting so hard for the chiefs

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    That's a telling stat. You're right - the Ravens blew it. Time to start over.
    The Eagles won with Nick Foles, retooled, and now are back in the Super Bowl. If you like decent teams that can go 10-7 and 9-8 every year and one and done in the playoffs then you love John Harbaugh.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRaven View Post
    The Eagles won with Nick Foles, retooled, and now are back in the Super Bowl. If you like decent teams that can go 10-7 and 9-8 every year and one and done in the playoffs then you love John Harbaugh.
    Bi$Cuit is fine with this 💰