Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 262728

Re: The NFLPA Admits They Are Responsible for This Lamar Mess

Reading Spotrac doesn’t make someone a capologist. The NFL’s CBA has a hard cap. There’s also a team and league minimum. A team is required to spend at least 89 percent of the cap over the four year deal and the league is required to spend 95 percent over the same period. If the league doesn’t hit the 95 percent they are required to make up the difference allocating the money to players on rosters as determined by the NFLPA. So the idea that the Ravens are cheap is based on not understanding the CBA or the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    Recent history says otherwise.

Bucs and Rams would beg to differ
    I consider both of those teams well managed. The Rams were very against the grain but their investment went into great players that were all proven. It was a risky sacrifice. A poorly managed team would be like what the Browns just did overpaying for Watson knowing hes serving a suspension and hasnt played. Then you have the Raiders doing things like drafting kickers in the first round, drafting jamarcus russell, trading #7 overall for moss and then trading him away for a 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensblitzkrieg View Post
    After watching Demaurice Smith (Head of NFLPA ) on the PIVOT PODCAST (You can watch it on Youtube) it has become evident the NFLPA is using Lamar to try and make Guaranteed Contracts a norm in the NFL.

About halfway through the interview they ask about Lamar and his contract negotiations. Smith admits that they are working with Lamar on his negotiations and even said He sends them all contract offers.

But the worst part is when he started talking about how they need someone to stand up for Guaranteed Contracts and not fold under pressure.

To sum it up the NFLPA is basically using Lamar as a pawn for their own agenda by turning this into a "Revolutionary moment" for Lamar and putting alot of pressure on him not to fold.

The sad part is Smith also talks about knowing the NFL Owners are Colluding to not give Guaranteed Contracts. This means Lamar is literally in the middle of a humongus ongoing power struggle mess.

Lamar needs to be a 26 year old getting his contract and focusing on football. Not being responsible for putting future generations on his back before his first major deal.

At this point with the amount of pressure it seems the NFLPA is putting on Lamar to not sign a non fully guaranteed contract I'm not so sure Ravens get a deal done with Lamar.

What are your thoughts?
    At the end of the day Lamar will get a boatload of money, fully guaranteed or not. The NFLPA is not doing him a financial disservice, if anything they are putting him in a position to maximize his value to the highest bidder in a trade.

Lamar can talk about wanting to stay and be a Raven but his actions regardless of where the advice is coming from seem to indicate he is willing to play for whomever gives him the largest check. If Lamar was really intent on staying, if he really felt like this was home and wanted it remain that way, he would simply have to ease off of the fully gauranteed notion.

I know a lot of people think this will drag out. I tend to think it will move quicker than expected. I think prior to free agency the Ravens will have a pretty good indication if Lamar is willing to budge. If he is stuck on the fully guaranteed deal then you explore a trade and execute it as quickly as possible so you have the freedom to address the team's needs in both free agency and the draft. If he shows a willingness to move off that demand then there is a chance it could take longer to finalize a deal. I don't think the team wants to be handcuffed going into free agency. I think by the time the market opens, the Ravens will have either recognized that Lamar is not going to budge and will explore trades OR Lamar will have moved off his fully guaranteed demand likely leading to a deal getting done. The Ravens could also cave and give him his fully guaranteed deal but I just do not see that in the cards at this point and get why not.

I don't think the Ravens signed Roquan with the idea of a rebuild. I think they resigned him with the idea that if they had to start over at the QB position it would not be a complete team rebuild and the team could remain competitive with either a developing rookie or a more veteran guy they sign after Lamar is traded
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by burnwood View Post
    You posted a link about those year 3/4 negotiations and I can't find it for the life of me. I need to share it.
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...f?platform=amp

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    At the end of the day Lamar will get a boatload of money, fully guaranteed or not. The NFLPA is not doing him a financial disservice, if anything they are putting him in a position to maximize his value to the highest bidder in a trade.

Lamar can talk about wanting to stay and be a Raven but his actions regardless of where the advice is coming from seem to indicate he is willing to play for whomever gives him the largest check. If Lamar was really intent on staying, if he really felt like this was home and wanted it remain that way, he would simply have to ease off of the fully gauranteed notion.

I know a lot of people think this will drag out. I tend to think it will move quicker than expected. I think prior to free agency the Ravens will have a pretty good indication if Lamar is willing to budge. If he is stuck on the fully guaranteed deal then you explore a trade and execute it as quickly as possible so you have the freedom to address the team's needs in both free agency and the draft. If he shows a willingness to move off that demand then there is a chance it could take longer to finalize a deal. I don't think the team wants to be handcuffed going into free agency. I think by the time the market opens, the Ravens will have either recognized that Lamar is not going to budge and will explore trades OR Lamar will have moved off his fully guaranteed demand likely leading to a deal getting done. The Ravens could also cave and give him his fully guaranteed deal but I just do not see that in the cards at this point and get why not.

I don't think the Ravens signed Roquan with the idea of a rebuild. I think they resigned him with the idea that if they had to start over at the QB position it would not be a complete team rebuild and the team could remain competitive with either a developing rookie or a more veteran guy they sign after Lamar is traded

I agree, but think maybe you're being a little TOO forgiving.

A deal with Lamar has to done, COMPLETE, INKED by free agency. I don't think its just enough for him to say he'll move / negotiate. Matter of fact, they need pen to paper at least a week or two before FA. Or else they're gonna blow up this current team / window.

And I doubt that happens.