Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Need computer help

At the end of my rope here. Lost a document I've spend countless hours on. Have been Googling recovery methods and nothing.

Recycle Bin is empty, no clue why. I recovered an Excel document from it today andfor some reason that emptied it.

If I can restore the lost Recycling Bin files, I can probably get the document back.

Again, I've been trying all the usual things that come up in a search so if anyone has an answer you'd be a life saver. Also downloaded recuva, etc. no luck

2. Re: Need computer help

Word document?

Re: Need computer help

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioleWay View Post
    At the end of my rope here. Lost a document I've spend countless hours on. Have been Googling recovery methods and nothing.

Recycle Bin is empty, no clue why. I recovered an Excel document from it today andfor some reason that emptied it.

If I can restore the lost Recycling Bin files, I can probably get the document back.

Again, I've been trying all the usual things that come up in a search so if anyone has an answer you'd be a life saver. Also downloaded recuva, etc. no luck
    I got you.

1. First go to the system registry using regedit.

2. Then navigate to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\_version_\Excel\Options

3. Next sacrifice a chicken and drip it's blood on the keyboard and in the USB port. Make sure it's USB 2.0.

4. Boil and eat the gizzard but leave half on your fireplace mantle with a note for Eshu-Elegba (think Christmas cookies.)

5. Chase it down with a chalice of the chicken blood cut with 3/4 cup of Miller High Life.

Finally, go to bed and and when you wake the document will be restored.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I got you.

2. Then navigate to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\_version_\Excel\Options

3. Next sacrifice a chicken and drip it's blood on the keyboard and in the USB port. Make sure it's USB 2.0.

4. Boil and eat the gizzard but leave half on your fireplace mantle with a note for Eshu-Elegba (think Christmas cookies.)

5. Chase it down with a chalice of the chicken blood cut with 3/4 cup of Miller High Life.

You had me going there for a bit when you mentioned regedit. I remember the days fooling with that, knowing you could screw up your computer with 1 typo. Wish I could help you Oriole. Good luck.

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

I got you.

Thanks. Got as far as Excel and no Options to click on. Help????? Totally critical file.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioleWay View Post

Was it ever saved previously? Ive heard about a program called Recuva. Think it's free too.
    Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex. ― Frank Zappa

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I got you.

No, that's how you do windows networking. And then still have computer A that can see B, but B cannot see A. At that point you need a virgin to sacrifice. And God help you if it can see A's drives but not a printer on A. LOL. You will need to trek through hell to get that worked out.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by MacMunin View Post
    Was it ever saved previously? Ive heard about a program called Recuva. Think it's free too.
    It happens to me to but he mentioned recuva in the post you quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    It happens to me to but he mentioned recuva in the post you quoted.
    Oh dang, you are correct. How'd I missed that. Well, if the file wasnt in the cloud, and if backups were set up, maybe restore PC to last restore point is all I can think of. Good luck.
    Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex. ― Frank Zappa

10. Re: Need computer help

Probably a simple fix, if I'm understanding it all. It hasn't been saved, so it would not show up in a search or Recuva, etc. It hasn't been deleted, so it's not showing up in Recycle Bin, either. Which, at least to me, says it's still open, you just can't see/find it. If you have a taskbar, usually at bottom or side of screen, look for the File Manager/File Explorer. It'll look like a small file folder. Look there. Lots of times, if your CPU is restarted and/or an update is done, it'll close your open tabs. When that happens to me, it's where I go and I always find my open/unsaved files there. Worth a shot.

I can help you out. It's probably going to be easier for me to take a swing at it via TeamViewer remote session than talking you through it. You can shoot me a PM if you want.

Also, assuming it's an Office file(Word or Excel)?