Blog Entries

1 day to sign 6?

So Flacco, Cousins, Marcus Smith, and David Hale have agreed to contracts, leaving:

Ray Rice, Tavares Gooden, Tom Zbikowski, Haruki Nakamura, Allen Patrick, and Justin Harper still unsigned.

In order to avoid any holdouts, we have to agree on contract with all 6 tomorrow. I hope this gets done, I think it'd be embarassing for us to have a 3rd round or later pick holdout. I think it's especially important for Rice, Zbikowski, Nakamura, and Harper to get into camp on time for the roles they might play this season.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: 1 day to sign 6?

Apparently someone else just signed. You could pay to find out at RavensInsider or wait probably an hour to find out from another source.

So we have 5/5. Players reports tomorrow (at least the rookies). I'm sure Ozzie will pull something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenatic20 View Post
    Apparently someone else just signed. You could pay to find out at RavensInsider or wait probably an hour to find out from another source.

So we have 5/5. Players reports tomorrow (at least the rookies). I'm sure Ozzie will pull something.
    That's so true. You can spend money on a ravens insider subscription or wait a whole hour to get the news somewhere else.

I'm sure the Ravens will get all their players in on time. No later round pick is going to holdout. They would foolish to do so.

Edit: Name of player removed at the request of Aaron Wilson
    Last edited by TTRaven; 07-21-2008 at 02:18 AM.

I think it said in one of Aaron's free articles posted up on here either on Saturday or Sunday that they'd faxed a contract to Nakamura and his representatives and they were fully expecting to get that sorted and signed prior to camp, I'd expect it'd be a similar case with most of the rest, but it'd seem that we've reversed our usual tactics of getting everyone else signed and then limiting our time talking to our #1 pick before camp. It'd seem we prioritised getting Flacco down before camp, and that suggests to me that neither Boller or Smith is sufficiently staking their claim for the starting job.

Blog Entries

I don't think that's entriely true...out of the lot we took in the draft, only Flacco looks to have a shot at starting this year. Rice, Cousins, Marcus Smith, and Justin Harper have real shots at contributing off the bench, but with the exception of maybe Cousins, none of them are going to have a shot at a starting spot this season.

So I think our priority was to get him in on time to make sure he's up to speed and give him every opportunity to compete. Also, someone pointed out the "Derek Anderson" situation with the Browns last year...had Quinn been in camp on time, he would've been who they turned to in Week 1/2 when Frye struggled, not Derek Anderson. Instead, DA lights it up, and now they have this controversy where DA is playing lights out, but Quinn is the guy you've committed to for your future. But, if you hook DA and Quinn stinks it up, you'll have egg on your face. If Flacco were to hold out, then Troy Smith starts lighting it up, we'd have to think long and hard before pulling him for Flacco and looking like idiots if Flacco makes mistakes when he comes in.

I just wonder why we couldn't negotiate with others at the same time. We only really sat down for a marathon negotiation with his agent this past week, the rest of it was just talking on the phone and such. We should've been able to exchange more numbers with our other rookies while that was going on...

eh, don't mind my ramblings, I just want to make sure we get everyone in on time, I'm sure it'll happen, just nervous that 5 or 6 picks are unsigned 1 day before camp.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

I just think it's an odd reversal on the norm for us. Our usual is that our non-first round picks are signed at the latest a couple of days before camp and it seems customary to me that our first rounder has usually missed between a couple of days and a week of TC. Seems strange that our focus has switched around this year, though the lack of anything proven at QB clearly means that we need to get whatever QB possible into camp on time so we've got everyone up to speed.

It'll be interesting to see who takes the majority of snaps with the first team in the first week. I wonder whether Smith and Boller might rotate with the first team to see if one of those two can take the #1 job and let Flacco run full time with the second team to get up to speed with the offence before challenging for the #1 job.

Anyone got the link to Hale's signing? I don't see it. I usually get pages from the Ravens for stuff like that but all I have seen is the one for Smith.

I brought this up on Friday....seems like waiting to the last minute on this stuff. No word this morning neither...what's the hold up?
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Ok..did some digging and found this :

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/ar...orts072108.txt

OWINGS MILLS — As the Baltimore Ravens’ rookies report to training camp today in Westminster, linebacker Tavares Gooden will arrive promptly after agreeing to a three-year, $1.76 million contract Sunday night.

The third-round draft pick from the University of Miami received a $610,100 signing bonus with base salaries of $295,000 in 2008, $385,000 in 2009 and $470,000 in 2010, according to NFL Players Association figures.

Gooden recorded 216 career tackles, one sack and one interception for the Hurricanes. He moved to middle linebacker as a senior and registered a career-high 100 tackles.

He’s slated for immediate special-teams duty and will compete for playing time in the Ravens’ dime package.

Meanwhile, the Ravens are trying to finalize deals for second-round running back Ray Rice (Rutgers), third-round safety Tom Zbikowski (Notre Dame), sixth-round safety Haruki Nakamura, seventh-round wide receiver Justin Harper (Virginia Tech) and seventh-round running back Allen Patrick (Oklahoma).

Nakamura was on the verge of agreeing to terms this weekend after receiving a faxed offer late last week.

Although the signing pace has been slow in the second round, an NFL special master’s ruling expected today could accelerate talks. The Ravens have discussed parameters of a deal with Rice’s agent.

Negotiations for Zbikowski were speeding up Sunday night.

The Ravens have already agreed to terms with first-round quarterback Joe Flacco (five years, maximum $30 million value, $8.75 million guaranteed money), third-round offensive tackle Oniel Cousins (three years, $1.59 million, $443,500 signing bonus), fourth-round wide receiver Marcus Smith (three years, $1.51 million, $369,000 signing bonus) and fourth-round offensive tackle David Hale (three years, $1.44 million, $300,000 signing bonus).

THANK AARON!

Blog Entries

i don't have a link, but after some snooping at the Scout site, it appears we have pulled it out.

Nakamura was the first one at camp today
    Zbikowski, Patrick, Harper all signed somepoint in between
    Ray Rice was the last to sign.

Sun just made an update:

The team, however, will have all of its rookie draft picks in camp for the second consecutive year. Running back Ray Rice (second round), linebacker Tavares Gooden (third), free safety Tom Zbikowski (third), free safety Haruki Nakamura (sixth), wide receiver Justin Harper (seventh) and running back Allen Patrick (seventh) either had already signed or were scheduled to before Harbaugh's team meeting at 5:30 p.m. today.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...,5921283.story

11. Re: 1 day to sign 6?

Gooden signed today as well and the team has agreed in principal with all remaining unsigned rookies. So, they will all be ready to go when camp starts.