Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ngata Explains His Lack of Explosion

“I was focused too much on what the play was and not enough on my technique. I was kind of thinking about my knee a little bit and I wasn’t exploding off the ball.

“I was catching the block instead of firing into my man. Now I have a game underneath my pads, I’m more comfortable and I can really explode and get upfield.”
    Personally I think that's good news. Alot of people were worried, that he just didn't have an explosion altogether. It's good to hear that his lack up penetration, was basically a result of him thinking too much & being tentative on his knee (which is what some suspected in the 1st place).

Still, I'd like to see him get another week off. I don't think that will happen. But let's hope that we some solid improvement from him this week. I'm still excited to see what Ngata can do for our defense.

Re: Ngata Explains His Lack of Explosion

Still, I'd like to see him get another week off.
    I disagree. Ngata needs reps with the first team in a live game situation. He said how he feels more confident now that he's had a game under his belt, so another game should just help him along further.

If the big guy is healed get him reps.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

I disagree. Ngata needs reps with the first team in a live game situation. He said how he feels more confident now that he's had a game under his belt, so another game should just help him along further.
    Sure, but Ngata's quote about his knee not being ready last week, is why I said that. If you don't give that knee time to heal, a "nothing" injury could turn into one that nags him for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by losac

I totally agree. He needs reps, and as many as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by lance1086
    Sure, but Ngata's quote about his knee not being ready last week, is why I said that. If you don't give that knee time to heal, a "nothing" injury could turn into one that nags him for a while.
    I think it's more of a psychological problem. He's thinking about the knee and is being tentative because he doesn't want to hurt it again. The doctors cleared him to play and he was quoted as saying there wasn't any soreness. I think the only way to get over that is to get reps in live game action.

Anyone who follows football knows the pro game is way faster then the college game. I think once Ngata gets the proper amount of reps he'll catch up to the pro game and be fine. He's the big guy this team needs in the middle to get the defense back where it needs to be to win the division.

Blog Entries

if he has another week off, he's just going to focus more and more on that knee, and not get back to being comfortable and explosive. He needs the game reps.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I know I wasn't worried over one preseason game performance. I don't put much stock into them personally.

I never worry much about rookie performance until midway through the season. To state the obvious, it's a big jump from major college to the pros so I always expect them to be lost for awhile.

Nevermind.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

I figured that he was thinking about his knee. I just think that the speed of the game caught him off guard. Ngata will be fine.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!