Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

I am really concerned about Lamar Jackson's long-term health

I want to be able to enjoy Lamar Jackson for a decade. I don't want to compromise his development, by continuously giving him all of these designed runs, just because it makes the rush offense lethal. He's taken more hits than he should and it doesn't do his passing development any favors. I don't see him suddenly jumping to throwing 30 times a game consistently, off of one off-season, with success. Furthermore, when it struggles, I don't see what's to stop them from reverting back to their current gameplan.

I mean, the one comparison I've heard a lot, when discussing Lamar, is Michael Vick. The most carries that Vick ever had (Kneel downs excluded) in a game was 14. He only did that twice. Jackson (Excluding kneel downs), has topped that three times in five starts. I just think back to what Tony Gonzalez said about this. He essentially said that injuries aren't sustained in one major hit. It's more so like a tree, each hit is like an axe swing at the tree and the hits (Whether they look significant or not) add up. THAT is what leads to the injuries. That's not what I want for him. I understand that QBs can get hurt in the pocket, but I don't see how that's reason enough to invite more contact. Gonzalez basically felt that it was a matter of when, not if, without hesitation, and he's not a guy who usually looks to poo-poo things so quickly.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: I am really concerned about Lamar Jackson's long-term health

I hear you Sword. It's definitely scary. But by my estimation this lasts for 2 maybe 3 more games. At the very most, 6, and if we can get 1 superbowl appearance after Jackson running the way he's running, it might be worth it from a fan's and franchise's perspective. I think with a healthy off season and camp and some real NFL starts under his belt, we will see a totally new Lamar Jackson who passes first. At least that's what I hope.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

as long and he doesn't break a bone or tear a ligament, i'm fine with it. He's 21, he's young, and he'll have an entire offseason of nutrition etc (i.e. HGH if he opts for it) to recover.

We need to win now.

I hear this worry a lot, and honestly I don't get it.

This year? Yeah, the Ravens are going to ride him as far as they can. This is an improvised offense with a rookie that has some limitations because of the learning curve for a QB in the NFL. But damn, you can't argue with the results so far. There is little they can do the rest of this year other than put what would be a rusty Flacco in. At this point, I trust Lamar more than Flacco unless...and only UNLESS...we get down 14 points and the only way to come back is to throw deep.

Next year will take care of itself.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

I don't think Lamar's carries will continue at this pace going into next season. The coaches know that it isn't sustainable. What they are doing now is what works...for now.

Assuming Lamar is our starter next season, and they spend an entire offseason perfecting an offense and working on Lamar's passing, he will run a lot less. The running will always be there as it is an effective weapon, but give it time. McNabb, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson are guys who ran less and less and they developed beyond their rookie seasons. I'm confident Lamar will do the same.

There are designed runs, and then there is when Lamar scrambles under duress. When he scrambles, I love that he is always looking for a Receiver first. With practice, and WR's getting in sync with Lamar, we should see fewer runs by our QB.

I not too concerned unless we are running the exact same offense next season as we are now.

Look, we picked him for his running ability... he was not chosen because he is a great pocket passer... and the only reason we are winning games is because he is doing exactly what we got him for.... now everyone wants to change him into something he is not and may not be... this is football.. you can take any QB and at any time they can get hurt... look at the one play where even Flacco was sliding and got nailed ... it happens...
    So is LJ now with the Chargers supposed to stop and say ok I already ran so many times let me stop and just throw the ball now or hand it off... that is why we better make sure we have a reliable back up so if he goes down next man up.... and since we are using a running type QB then RG3 would be the logical choice since he is in the same type mold....
    people want LJ to succeed but all of a sudden they want to change him from what he is into something he is not ...I am sure if the Ravens wanted a pocket passer they would have chosen one... it just seems this is the direction the Ravens wanted to go.. and I guess it is because they want a running game rather then a passing game

Didn't you already start a thread like this a few weeks back?

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

I think the Ravens will bring him down to a reasonable amount of carriers (6 to 12 a game). They just have a historically good rushing attack right now, and don't want to stop. The threat of Lamar running every play is key to that. So, long term I think he'll become more like Cam or Deshaun with his amount of carries.

Blog Entries

There's no way they will keep having Lamar running 15+ times a game. It has to normalize at some point, and he will have to throw more.

Blog Entries

I agree, it's inflated right now but I'm telling you man this offense is harbaugh's wet dream I am not speaking for the man but I feel like he would patent this shit and ride Lamar til the wheels fall off then get another QB and do the same shit in 3yrs.

Interesting. There were 27 games in college where he ran more than 14 times in a game. So, he's ran this much a bunch of times before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jam31 View Post
    Didn't you already start a thread like this a few weeks back?
    This thread title is basically every post Ex has made for the past month.

Like, who here didn't know Ex was "concerned" about that?