Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Defensive issues with the no huddle/two minute offenses.

The Ravens have had at least a 9 point lead in every game they've played this year. Unfortunately, their Achilles heel has been stopping teams in the 2 minute drill at the half, and at the end of games.

Let's go through the games:

NY Jets - Gave up a field goal just before half, and a TD late in the game. Outside of this, the Jets could nothing against us. 9 points given up in 2 minute drills

Miami - Blew a 35 - 14 lead in the 4th quarter. Somehow they played prevent, the DBs were 10 yards back, and got burned deep 3 times. 7 points in the 2 minute drill

Buffalo - Got a TD with 9 seconds left in the first half. Got a TD with 3:26 left with an up tempo drive. Ended with the game with a FG. 17 points with up tempo or 2 minute drills

Cincy - Field goal with 4 seconds left in the first half. TD with 1:59 left. 10 points in up tempo or two minute drills

NY Giants - TD when the Giants went up tempo in the 4th quarter. Last TD was because of Lamar's turnover. 7 points off of up tempo

Cleveland - No points in the 2 minute drill or up tempo. More of this please!

Tampa Bay - Field goal at the end of the first half. TD to Julio Jones in the 2 minute drill. 10 points off of two minute drills

New Orleans - Field goal at the end of the first half. No huddle TD where Chuck Clark argued instead of tackled. 10 points off of no huddle or 2 minute drill

Carolina - No points off of a two minute drill. However, if JPP hadn't intercepted Mayfield, Carolina would have scored, imo.

Jacksonville - Field goal at the end of the half. TD with 5:55 from a drive where the Jaguars went no huddle. TD with 18 seconds left. 17 points off of no huddle and the 2 minute drill

This shows we have a huge issue with the 2 minute drill and the no huddle. It's the biggest reason for all 4 losses. I think this is probably because of an overreliance on substitutions, and playing too conservatively (prevent defense) at the end of games. We need to blitz more. Even if we give up a long TD, it's better to give up that long TD with 1:45 left than it is with 18 seconds left.

Re: Defensive issues with the no huddle/two minute offenses.

Last week people were calling Mike Macdonald a top 5 DC , he has a historic number of defensive collapses under his belt despite being given every resource and the perfect opportunity to take over.

This is the guy that Harbs stuck his neck out for and got him his last 3 jobs?
    Mike MacDonald should be our head coach next season

If Youre gonna say I said something, Quote me cause yall be lying.

Blog Entries

If Mickey D wants to last in this league he'd better find a way to defend NFL offenses late in games. At one point we were dead last in 4th quarter point differential. Coaching matters.

Blog Entries

Just basic analysis here but I imagine that the no huddle preventing subs hurts them a decent bit since their entire pass rush is reliant on old guys rotating to stay fresh. Hopefully Ojabo sees some action this week.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

I said it last week if this defense have to be out there longer than they need to be they will be exposed.

Calais almost closed it out. The ball didn't bounce our way.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Two words: Marcus Peters

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    Two words: Marcus Peters
    And Stephens

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Calais almost closed it out. The ball didn't bounce our way.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    I kind of agree here. I'll say, we don't have closers. Reed was a closer. If the ball got anywhere near him it was over. Suggs was a closer. Ngata was a closer. Right now, we have good defenders, but we don't have closers.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I kind of agree here. I'll say, we don't have closers. Reed was a closer. If the ball got anywhere near him it was over. Suggs was a closer. Ngata was a closer. Right now, we have good defenders, but we don't have closers.
    IMO, if they had just blitzed on Lawrence's blindside on the 3rd and 19 (or 21, the broadcast kept changing it), they would have won. Instead they brought 4, and Lawrence got it to 4th and 5.

Blog Entries

Like others, I was lulled into a false sense of security. Over the previous four games (all Ravens victories) our defense held the opposition to an average of 14.5 PPG. Most of those games were close, but we managed to close them out. So when Josh Oliver caught the TDs pass, with 2:02 to go, I thought our strong "D" will do it again. I was not only wrong, and we lost on a 2-pt conversion, but now I'm sliding back to doubting our defense. We had better make some sort of "statement" next Sunday (Broncos in Baltimore) or we could slip out of a 1st place tie, plus risk being shut-out playoff-wise too... Bc

there are some errors:
    Clark and Stone played way behind the linebackers, the 3 and 25 and the 4 and 8 that they converted must have been passes broken up by a good safety, we missed Williams and Hamilton.
    the difficulty of defending the no huddle when we have a determined defensive line.
    the mistake of not asking for a minute or "any" injury to accommodate us.
    I don't like it, Stephens from Cb, there should be Humphrey and Stephens playing in the center
    ( nickel, Safety ).
    Peters... well, he knows everything that happened and how they abused him...