Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Lamar Jackson criticism Question

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    People revert and expect 2019 Lamar(as they should)

Lamar didn’t miss the passes in 2019 that he does now. Whether it’s mechanics or the ravens scheme has been seen and is not surprising anyone is up for debate. But Ravens fans saw the best of Lamar in 2019 and haven’t seen it since. That’s the problem.
    Lamar is now at his worst completion percentage since his rookie season. Yesterday was the worst of this season at just 50%. There is a lot of truth in what you are posting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I can't speak for other posters.

I don't want him running as much as he does on designed runs because of my fear of injury/wear on his body. I get though that due to the numbers in the box, it's basically required.

But for this offense to take the next step, we need better passing and that's on him, the OC, the receivers and the HC. I've seen Lamar throw it better than he has been so for me, that's the frustration.

Honestly, I also think it's a bit disingenuous to point to not giving him credit for his running when people hate the offense that is designed to have him run. Either this is the offense we want and enjoy his running first or we want a more sophisticated passing offense (with better weapons too of course)
    I’m talking about a subset of posters who energetically talk about his need to run before the game, and then after the game, don’t even mention his impact on the running game when critiquing how well he played. Just focus on the throws he missed.

For example, some feeling that he didn’t play well yesterday. The man had seven drops (Which would have put him around a 66% completion percentage) darn near 90 yards rushing and was our leading rusher. How is that not playing well?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Ok, I will take a stab at answering the question. Let me preface it with i want roman gone. I think his passing scheme is too basic.
    Now why lamar doesn’t get (enough) credit for his running (to your liking anyway) is that people expect a top qb to be a top passer and to be able to make to make the passing part of the offense go by passing.
    But that doesn’t change that he’s asked to do more for the running game than any other QB in the league, and does his job extremely well in that regard. Does that not factor in to how well he played?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I've asked before, but never got an answer. So, I'm asking again. Why is it, that posters stress the importance of taking advantage of Lamar Jackson's running ability. Yet, when it comes to critiquing how well he played in a given game, he never receives credit for his role in the rushing offense with his running ability? All of the focus, ONLY THEN, shifts COMPLETELY, to his passing.

Why aren't Ravens fans gushing about how well Justin Fields has been playing which is all based on rushing? He has more rushing yards and more than double the rushing touchdowns that Lamar has. Is Fields ever brought up as a great QB on this board? Is Fields name ever even brought up but I sure haven't seen it. Passing is integral to the position. You can't just take that piece out and praise someone because no QB has been able to win a championship just running the ball. Running is always going to be secondary to passing for a Quarterback even in times when running is more and more part of the position.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Lamar is now at his worst completion percentage since his rookie season. Yesterday was the worst of this season at just 50%. There is a lot of truth in what you are posting.
    But Gota, the man had seven drops. That alone would have put him at 23/32, which is over 70%.

Blog Entries

Why aren't Ravens fans gushing about how well Justin Fields has been playing which is all based on rushing? He has more rushing yards and more than double the rushing touchdowns that Lamar has. Is Fields ever brought up as a great QB on this board? Is Fields name ever even brought up but I sure haven't seen it. Passing is integral to the position. You can't just take that piece out and praise someone because no QB has been able to win a championship just running the ball. Running is always going to be secondary to passing for a Quarterback even in times when running is more and more part of the position.
    But a lot of those same posters will treat Lamar’s running like its ‘Primary’ going into the game, and only secondary ‘after’ he may not play well.

But that doesn’t change that he’s asked to do more for the running game than any other QB in the league, and does his job extremely well in that regard. Does that not factor in to how well he played?
    Now it seems you just want to complain that he doesn’t get enough credit for running. I think lamar gets plenty of credit for running. But people expect a great qb to have a big impact by passing the ball.

Blog Entries

Fields has more rushing attempts than Lamar. He is asked to do more for the running game than Lamar has this year. Jalen Hurts leads the NFL in QB rushing attempts. After last night he might even have more yards than Lamar since they haven't updated the night game totals yet. Lamar is no longer the only QB with these kind of running numbers. Others are rushing more in 2022

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Now it seems you just want to complain that he doesn’t get enough credit for running. I think lamar gets plenty of credit for running. But people expect a great qb to have a big impact by passing the ball.
    On top of being asked to do what not even three other QBs are being asked to do, and with arguably the worst group of WRs in the league, in the least pass friendly scheme in the league?

But Gota, the man had seven drops. That alone would have put him at 23/32, which is over 70%.
    Drops happen to every QB. Maybe Lamar had a few more than normal yesterday, and that sucks, but it's part of the game.

According to this, Lamar is 22nd in the league in on target passes this year:

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...g_advanced.htm

Blog Entries

Fields has more rushing attempts than Lamar. He is asked to do more for the running game than Lamar has this year. Jalen Hurts leads the NFL in QB rushing attempts. After last night he might even have more yards than Lamar since they haven't updated the night game totals yet. Lamar is no longer the only QB with these kind of running numbers. Others are rushing more in 2022
    But when Hurts is asked to throw, who is he throwing too? What passing scheme is he throwing out of?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    Drops happen to every QB. Maybe Lamar had a few more than normal yesterday, and that sucks, but it's part of the game.

According to this, Lamar is 22nd in the league in on target passes this year:

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...g_advanced.htm
    Those QBs also get to throw more than Lamar, and also have far better WRs to throw to. So when they miss their 2-3 throws (Which, they do), nobody remembers it.