Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: How much do the Ravens influence your mood?

i take a nap, try to avoid sports media for a bit, and maybe watch highlights of other games

the trick (for me) is that i'm trying to appreciate these "downs" so when we have the "ups" it'll make more of an impact

Blog Entries

The only times sports gets to me is right before the first game of the season and after the last game. I hate that wait for next year. I'm happy to have it while it's going on. I don't follow other team sports anymore so when football season is over it's just waiting for next year to start.

Blog Entries

As you guys can probably tell, I don't let it get to me. I watch other games while the board bitches at each other and would be learning a thing or two if they watched other games.

I'll take an ugly win and like it. That loss yesterday? Trevor Lawrence was absolutely perfect down the stretch. I don't let that bother me too much

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

They don't anymore. I'm 36, too old to be letting a sports team influence my mood. I will say the one time I can get irritated is when refball comes into play, but like yesterday? It's a parity driven league and the other teams are all professionals too. Sometimes they are just better, or are just better on that day. Hard to watch that game yesterday and come away that pissed off, at the end of the day the Jags made the plays that were there and we didn't. It is what it is.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

2012 was a long time ago. I would watch football 52 weeks a year if they were new games. That said I’m starting to care less and less about the Ravens. Too few real changes in coaching and direction. After a loss I just go do something else. My ravens interest is 1/3 of what it was just a year ago. Another six or seven lack luster games might just end it for me.

Blog Entries

While I love it when the Ravens win like I do with any of my favoures sports team, and initially feel unhappy when they lose, we have to remember that this is just a sport. We are not playing for the Ravens, we are fans and this is not our job. It's irrational to let sports depress you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I have sex after every loss. It's like reverse Pavlov. I almost found myself rooting for Lawrence for a second...
    I have sex every time the Ravens win a Super Bowl, but please don't tell my wife about it... Bc

I am not as emotional now as I was in years past, but there are many factors at work. Age is a big one, because with it comes life experiences that puts everything in context. The mix of political issues watered it down as well, since this used to be the port that was safe in the storm of real life. It is now no different, but I will not let them ruin what I enjoy. Like the media, politicians, entertainment people and sports figures outside of sports, I have muted them.

As for the cost/benefit analysis, everything costs more and is not "worth it" on a philosophical sense. I weigh what I get out of it, and the experience of the crowd, the chance to meet people that I would not otherwise know, and the social event of tailgating as a party is part of the NFL experience. As for travel, I do not make it a "Red Eye to Red Eye" trip to just see a game. I look at the location and determine if there are things that are of interest, but that I would not target as a trip without a Ravens game. And inserting the age-factor again, I also look to the fact that at some point I will not physically be able to do any of these things and I do not want to voluntarily remove them now.

There are not the emotional residuals that there were before, but it does still impact me because I care about the game and the team. I do not come here to see the same people make the same complaints (with nothing new to offer or to use the record since 2013 as a foundation for their point - which by the way is a bogus and worthless argument with no substance), or spend much time rehashing a loss when it is still fresh simply because there is no benefit to it. After there is a new day, I can pay attention to those whose opinion I respect just to gain perspective, but it is no longer emotional at that point.

It is entertainment. There is passion involved, but it is now in its proper place mentally.
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    As you guys can probably tell, I don't let it get to me. I watch other games while the board bitches at each other and would be learning a thing or two if they watched other games.

I'll take an ugly win and like it. That loss yesterday? Trevor Lawrence was absolutely perfect down the stretch. I don't let that bother me too much
    I watched and really enjoyed the Raiders at Seahawks game after the Ravens was done. I don't look for press conferences or explanations. I'm good with getting some more NFL football. I then go back and see those other things later when the games are done

I’ve reached a point where the wins can boost my mood for a couple of days after but the losses largely don’t affect me as much. When they’re bad losses (which seems like the only type we’ve had the last two years lol) I’ll generally be bummed out for the rest of the day, and like I didn’t watch SNF last night even though I was home. But I’m all good this morning. If anything I’m just disappointed that like, the mood here won’t be as upbeat this week and I won’t be watching Wired lol.

In the past I definitely let it get to me more, though. And like OP I wasn’t happy about that, so it’s something I really worked on.

Over the years way too much!! When sitting down to watch a game I tell myself I'm not going to get so emotionally vested that a loss will ruin a perfectly lovely Sunday afternoon. Of course, by the second quarter I'm ranting and raving at the players, coaches and refs. I've lost a lot of sleep over the years following a Ravens' loss. And even the next day am pissed. I've gotten to the point that for my mental health and to maintain domestic tranquility, I don't watch the game itself but watch the condensed version on NFL+ but only if they win. My wife tells me I'm pathetic. Guilty as charged. I'm 66. This stuff shouldn't bother me. But it's nothing new. I remember watching the Don Chandler phantom field goal in the fog at Lambeau in '65 at my friend Doug's house. I was devastated when they lost. Threw a tantrum walking back to my house and was inconsolable the rest of the night. Kinda like yesterday.
    Last edited by Gladys Kravitz; 11-28-2022 at 11:17 AM.

Blog Entries

I think expectations play a part too. Like with this team, I have no expectations, and haven't for a while. So I am rarely going into games or looking at games and thinking yeah, the Ravens should just comfortably win this. Like this Sunday...the Ravens *should* beat the Broncos, but at least personally I am not going to be all that surprised if they don't. There's less to be disappointed about or have your mood influenced by it if you don't have any expectations. I'm not sure that's great for the organization for fans to feel that way but that's for them to figure out.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52