Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Roster Construction

Bottom line, this all goes back to scouting. Our scouts these days are mediocre. Look how many misses we've had with offensive skill position guys. I mean Perriman? Hollywood over AJ Brown, DK Metcalf and Deebo Samuel? On defense, how about picking an edge rusher with zero college sacks when the team was desperate for an immediate impact player? And none of the drafted cornerbacks after Marlon have looked good at all.

35yr old DJax who was doing podcasts and smoking cigars came out of retirement and was our leading WR in yards.

A fucking joke
    Mike MacDonald should be our head coach next season

If Youre gonna say I said something, Quote me cause yall be lying.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post
    35yr old DJax who was doing podcasts and smoking cigars came out of retirement and was our leading WR in yards.

A fucking joke
    And ppl are still talmbout “In EDC we trust.” Lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know everyone on this board says the main issue with the Ravens is coaching but it's actually roster construction. The Ravens always zig when other teams zag. Other teams look to get playmakers and immediate impact players in the draft. EDC, Harbaugh and Bisciotti want value players and cherish quantity over quality.

You can bring in the most amazing new defensive coach but if your 1st round edge rusher has never had a sack, it may be a very long time before he pays dividends. You can be the most innovative passing guru coach but it your team drafts receiver with mediocre skill, the passing game still won't be great.

[QUOTE=RevBarnes;2366950]Harbaugh can be really good with the right coordinators[/QUOTE
    And who picks the coordinators?

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Agreed.

I think he is a great head coach...one of his faults though IMHO is staying with coordinators too long.

Overall, he doesn't have a specialty on one side of the ball so you can't say they are running HIS offense or HIS defense and that has it's plusses and minuses.
    Exactly. He was mainly a ST coach. He brings in Roman and he has ruined this O and possibly stunted Lamar and growth. Wink finally leaves and he brings in Mac, he has to grow.
    Personally, IMO Roman needs to be gone(last year) soon. If not EDC needs to think about an overhaul.

It starts with Bisciotti. He's the man. He must trust EDC so much for him to still be here. I believe in part because EDC was underneath Ozzie and was part of the family. EDC just lets Harbs run the team on the field and Harbs is all about loyalty and trust. I recall some of the vets in his early years unhappy with some of his decisions. It's his way or the highway. He puts all his trust in his coaches and is slow to move on from bad decisions.
    EDC's roster construction? Alot of decisions come from input from Ozzie, Harbs and others around him. Like the offense. We are a run based offense and pick many RBS. We have missed with early round picks and it has set us back. We have been lucky with the mid and late round picks and that has helped.
    I think EDC tries to pick as many players as possible because of the cost and value. They are cheaper and are locked in for years. It seems that we rarely go out and spend big bucks on quality players in FA. That's why so many FA's sign on elsewhere. That's why we end up getting all these older players on 1 year deals. EDC's philosophy-right player, right price, right time.
    I don't think the organization wants any out spoken players on the team. Harbs had that problem early on with veteran out spoken players. That hurts in many ways because that edge, that attitude is sometimes needed. That's why in the draft EDC may pass on a player like Pickens. Well, I guess if we want a change in the roster formation, we need an overhaul in the management. Usually it starts at the top and trickles down. As long as Bisciotti and EDC are content with a good team, we will have Harbs and staff.
    If we are going to be a great team and a SB contender year in and year out, we will need changes to get the right balance, the right roster formation. Be content with mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens4Real View Post
    I agree with this. And it boils down a lot to coaching decisions.

How many years of “Hey we don’t need to resign our difference makers. We can let them go and get a 3rd round comp back!” Then that 3rd round comp turns into a complete JAG.

All of these guys and none of them can make a play when it matters.
    Ravens spend to the cap. There may be a difference of opinion on who they keep but the reality is that they can’t keep everyone. In my opinion the Earl Thomas was a huge mistake and knee jerk reaction. That was the time to sign a free agent wr. In todays NFL teams that have signed QBs to big dollar contracts are going to struggle to pay for top notch wrs because the cost of them has skyrocketed. The Chiefs and the Titans could not afford their top wrs. Rams wrapped up their cap around 3 players and the rest of the roster is shit. If you are paying top dollar for a QB you really need to find the receiver in the draft. V

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    Lol I got so much hate for this before but it was sooooo painfully obvious that adding Roquan Smith does NOTHING to help this team. He'll be doing nothing as Mahomes, Josh Allen, and Tua slice and dice this secondary all the way up. LAMAR has done nothing but carry this team as all his weapons fail him time after time after time.

The obvious move was to use draft capital towards actual weapons and we refuse to do that every year. Lamar Jackson, I salute you!
    The only thing "painfully obvious" is you startiing a thread like this after a heart-breaking Ravens loss. If the Jags didn't make the 2-point conversion, and we won a close game going to 8 - 2, guys like you wouldn't be coming out of the woodwork... Bc

Blog Entries

https://twitter.com/Ihartitz/status/1597993363705565184

Ian Hartitz
    @Ihartitz
    Amon-Ra St. Brown receptions in last 14 games not impacted by injury:

10, 8, 8, 9, 8, 8, 8, 9, 6, 7, 4, 10, 7, 9
    3 94 Baltimore Ravens Ben Cleveland
    3× 104 Baltimore Ravens Brandon Stephens
    4 112 Detroit Lions Amon-Ra St. Brown
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Brandon Stephens was a serviceable safety before he was forced to switch positions because EDC had Stephens, Washington, Chuck, Williams, Hamilton, Stone, Jefferson and Stone at safety. EIGHT SAFETIES.
    Mike MacDonald should be our head coach next season

If Youre gonna say I said something, Quote me cause yall be lying.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post
    Brandon Stephens was a serviceable safety before he was forced to switch positions because EDC had Stephens, Washington, Chuck, Williams, Hamilton, Stone, Jefferson and Stone at safety. EIGHT SAFETIES.
    And 5 TE's. Meanwhile, not a motherfucking quality receiver in sight. Can't make this shit up.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh