Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Dave Chappelle SNL Monologue

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    That SNL was one of the rare occasions when the next day Yahoo didn't have their usual recap. Must not have been too much blasting of the right.
    Chapelle comitted the mortal sin of not going to extreme crazy lengths to criticize Trump for everything including his choice of ice cream.

You might even say he cast some praise on him or at least explained how his presidential run was extraordinary and how his debate performance endeared him to a lot of people.

You can't do that. Not allowed. Trump must be a cartoon devil devoid of any virtue or redeeming qualities whatsoever.

He did a good bit of bashing of Trump too though but it was funny. The bit about Melania was hilarious. I thought he chose to play into the Russia collusion thing just because he thought it made for a funny bit.

That's what comedians do.

I can't think of anything overtly anti-semetic in what he said but maybe imply some tropes like "jews run hollywood" has a degree of truth to it based on his observations when he was there. He seemed to imply he didn't think it was right some groups are more protected and capable of inflicting more damage than others and how attacking a black man was punching down a bit.

I saw it as him trying to stand up a bit for a friend (Kanye who a lot of us think is Bipolar/mentally ill) and how he thinks the stripping of a fellow black man of a billion and a half dollars of wealth doesn't sit well with him.

He was dancing right on the edge in his usual masterful way.
    Last edited by BustOfPallas; 11-18-2022 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    When u try to control speech ... the problem is worse.
    I want to qualify this. The problem with restricting speech is who decides what is okay to say and what isn't and more importantly who is able to say it and who can't? You trade one problem for another and I'm not so sure the choice is obvious which is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bynight View Post
    The problem is words lead to actions. When you single out a group with false tropes and then someone goes killing people because of that - we all have a problem.
    Kind of like how Maxine Waters, Hilary, Pelosi, etc vilified Trump supporters. Anyone wearing a MAGA hat was racist and should be beaten, or worse. It’s indisputable that the left is the party of violence.

Chapelle comitted the mortal sin of not going to extreme crazy lengths to criticize Trump for everything including his choice of ice cream.

You might even say he cast some praise on him or at least explained how his presidential run was extraordinary and how his debate performance endeared him to a lot of people.

You can't do that. Not allowed. Trump must be a cartoon devil devoid of any virtue or redeeming qualities whatsoever.

He did a good bit of bashing of Trump too though but it was funny. The bit about Melania was hilarious. I thought he chose to play into the Russia collusion thing just because he thought it made for a funny bit.

That's what comedians do.

I can't think of anything overtly anti-semetic in what he said but maybe imply some tropes like "jews run hollywood" has a degree of truth to it based on his observations when he was there. He seemed to imply he didn't think it was right some groups are more protected and capable of inflicting more damage than others and how attacking a black man was punching down a bit.

I saw it as him trying to stand up a bit for a friend (Kanye who a lot of us think is Bipolar/mentally ill) and how he thinks the stripping of a fellow black man of a billion and a half dollars of wealth doesn't sit well with him.

He was dancing right on the edge in his usual masterful way.
    As far as West goes - being bipolar is not an excuse for being antisemitic. I have bipolar relatives. They are not racist or antisemitic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don’t believe you at all, re the sign.

However, even if that is true, it’s just a sign that some asshole did. So, no. You shouldn’t get upset. The fact that you let that shit take up any space in your head is exactly what the dbag creators want.

You don’t believe me… the sign actually said no mercy for the Jews with pictures of them hanging. I interpreted that as kill them. No other way to interpret a depiction of a hanging. Disgusting Just google picture of Bethesda Trolley Trail antisemetic sign.

As far as not getting upset - my wife is Jewish and her parents were Holocaust survivors. Who were the kindest people I ever met before they passed. So yea. I am fucking furious that some douchbag nitwit did that. She no longer feels safe going to services because of shit like this.

Blog Entries

You don’t believe me… the sign actually said no mercy for the Jews with pictures of them hanging. I interpreted that as kill them. No other way to interpret a depiction of a hanging. Disgusting Just google picture of Bethesda Trolley Trail antisemetic sign.

As far as not getting upset - my wife is Jewish and her parents were Holocaust survivors. Who were the kindest people I ever met before they passed. So yea. I am fucking furious that some douchbag nitwit did that. She no longer feels safe going to services because of shit like this.

That's truly sad. I'm sorry that your wife has to feel unsafe because of some idiot.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

I want to qualify this. The problem with restricting speech is who decides what is okay to say and what isn't and more importantly who is able to say it and who can't? You trade one problem for another and I'm not so sure the choice is obvious which is worse.
    This I absolutely agree with. Just because one person is offended doesn't mean everything should be changed to accommodate the minority. Most of this stuff is subjective.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

8. Re: Dave Chappelle SNL Monologue

I don't get all the ruckus about Chappelle. Really don't find him all that funny. Kinda funny, yeah, I'll give ya that. My theory is that he says what lots of people wish they could say and he gets away w/it. And you can't.......lol. That's the allure. Kinda like Carlin, in the old days, except, Carlin was actually funny. To each their own, though.

As far as West goes - being bipolar is not an excuse for being antisemitic. I have bipolar relatives. They are not racist or antisemitic.

I have a cousin that in the late 2000s believed he was being surveiled. He thought his text, cell phone and emails were being tapped/bugged. He thought there were cameras in the wall sockets of his work, bugs in the picture frames in his house and that cars parked outside his office and behind his home were being used to surveil him. This is a succesful college educated IT manager not some high school drop out anti-government Militichigan idiot. Montgomery County guy. He told me afterward he thought guys standing next to him in public were trying to steal data off his phone via bluetooth/wifi and that guys that approached or chatted him in public for any reason were govnerment agents. He told me he would get waves of fear when he heard helicopters flying over his house thinking "they" were checking in on him and told me he snuck out his house and threw away all of his pirated DVDs because he thought "they" were going to use them to convict him and ruin him financially. I saw him during the height of this and he was skinny as a rail and he had been a pretty big guy since we were teens. He wasn't frothing at the mouth and raving but he was essentially in psychosis with extreme paranoid delusions. Fortuneately his wife convinced him to get help and his DX was bipolar. None of the crazy stuff he believed was true but to him it was 100% real or the feelings associated with it felt real to him.

I find West's anti-semetic statements to be repugnant but I also believe bipolor disorder can cause a person to have unacceptable/prejudiced views especially if they are in the presence of paranoid psychotic delusions of persecution.

I'm not sure how if a persons believes that The Catholics, The FBI, The Space Aliens, The Government, The Stone Masons, The Jews etc. are persecuting them/out to get them it does not shape or exaggerate their feelings about that person/group. Maybe this is a bit of a chicken egg argument and some predudice was there to begin with but the presence of organic mental illness and psychotic delusions is a mitigating factor IMO. Such illness should be considered when casting judgement or meteing out punishment because those feelings are not based on reality but a very distorted and terrifying view of reality.

Is Kanye Bipolar? I don't know. I just remember hearing about how he collapsed after or during a concert years ago, pre-Trump association era and thinking it sounded a lot like a crash after a BP1 manic episode to me.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    I don't get all the ruckus about Chappelle. Really don't find him all that funny. Kinda funny, yeah, I'll give ya that. My theory is that he says what lots of people wish they could say and he gets away w/it. And you can't.......lol. That's the allure. Kinda like Carlin, in the old days, except, Carlin was actually funny. To each their own, though.
    I am a big Carlin fan but I think Chappelle is funnier.

This is one of the funniest bits in the history of television:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

Agreed. The way he does social satire is second to none. The Niggar Family is one of the most brilliant skits that's ever been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

That's prolly the best skit of all time

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart