Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: RSR Betting Incentives

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    The idea of morally pure sports can be chimeric, but for some of us, discussing of betting lines on games (as now happens on TV) moves football discussion from the realm of entertainment to the morally problematic. This could possibly cost the NFL fans, even if it brings in revenue.
    I have enjoyed the DraftKings app and others. Those plays provide an added level of excitement and rooting interest. Why is that "morally problematic"?

course, my perspective is also influenced by religious concerns, and based on the belief that gambling, while a fun hobby for some, is a potential addiction, and more seriously a blight on the poor. I don't ask that football support my beliefs, but I take note when it works against them.
    Beer companies are huge sponsors of the league. And so are companies that provide spirits. Aren't those potential problems for addiction? Is there a difference in your mind?

Again, I'm just trying to see your perspective and not trying to be a smart ass.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    I have enjoyed the DraftKings app and others. Those plays provide an added level of excitement and rooting interest. Why is that "morally problematic"?

Beer companies are huge sponsors of the league. And so are companies that provide spirits. Aren't those potential problems for addiction? Is there a difference in your mind?

Again, I'm just trying to see your perspective and not trying to be a smart ass.
    To answer your question seriously, let me try to establish a common ideological basis. Are you religious, and if so, which faith is yours?

To answer your question seriously, let me try to establish a common ideological basis. Are you religious, and if so, which faith is yours?
    I'll give this a little room to breathe but I don't want this to go off the rails. So here goes.

I am a practicing Christian.

I'll give this a little room to breathe but I don't want this to go off the rails. So here goes.

I am a practicing Christian.
    I thought so, and you are the one pushing for responses, and to be more precise - I think you are RC, correct? (Or am I wrong)

I thought so, and you are the one pushing for responses, and to be more precise - I think you are RC, correct? (Or am I wrong)
    Good grief…. Let it go already.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    Good grief…. Let it go already.
    Sorry guy, I am not arguing or disparaging anyone, but there was somone who was pushing a question. They asked a minister a question - claiming they didn't want to be a jerk. I took their question at face value and wanted to answer it, but to do so I had too account for different church traditions because it is complicated. Practicing Christians, while largely agreeing, see these issues slightly differently for reasons that largely make sense. (think of the way offensive schemes are different or how there are different blocking schemes that offensive lines use).

So, I am not holding onto this, but may I suggest, they asked a question and I was trying to give them an answer.

Peace
    Last edited by RevBarnes; 12-06-2022 at 10:55 AM.

Sorry guy, I am not arguing or disparaging anyone, and you are the one who was pushing a question. You asked a minister a question - claiming you didn't want to be a jerk. I took your question at face value and wanted to answer it, but to do so I had too account for different church traditions because it is complicated. Practicing Christians, while largely agreeing, see these issues slightly differently for reasons that largely make sense. (think of the way offensive schemes are different or how there are different blocking schemes that offensive lines use).

So, I am not holding onto this, but may I suggest, you asked a question and I was trying to give you an answer.

Peace
    I don't think the denomination of Christianity is relevant here. Not to me anyway. So in a peaceful way, let's just agree to disagree. And thank you for sharing your perspective. I hope you enjoy your day.

I don't think the denomination of Christianity is relevant here. Not to me anyway. So in a peaceful way, let's just agree to disagree. And thank you for sharing your perspective. I hope you enjoy your day.
    Real quick and in peace... You didn't agree with a reply I made to this post (which is fair), but you seem to be in between asking me for an explanation, wanting to disagree, and wanting to cut off the conversation.

So, I don't have any emotion in this, and I'm not angry, but let me put this out there so that going forward if you (or anyone else) wants to say you disagree with me (or agree) you can have a basis for that.

As a practicing Christian you are probably aware that gambling, like alcohol, is something most Christians at most times aren't completely easy with. Some traditions take a black and white approach and simply label them as sin (Baptists and Methodists did that, at least at times). Others like the Catholics take a more moderate approach and say these activities are alright but issue warnings and conditions. (Gambling is addictive to a small minority, and it can also rob the poor of extra income they really need.) I don't find either tradition's approach to be perfect.

So my initial reply was in that context. My question about your denominiation was more philosophical than argumentative. And for the record, I'm a Methodist, but I really respect all the other traditions.

Anyway, have a good day and a good Christmas. This is a great site and I do wish it well.