Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Is it Time to Rethink Cap Spending on the Secondary?

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    It's not just cap spending that needs to change, it's the draft, too. We didn't need a safety this year, and would have been better off drafting someone else, or trading down. The past two years we've spent a 1st, a 3rd and two 4ths on the secondary. For what? You can't stop good/great QBs like you used to be able to.

My #1 Prospect I wanted badly in round 1 was LB Devon Lloyd.

But if I was Decosta It would have been extremely hard to pass on Kyle Hamilton. I still think Hamilton is going to be very good.

Hamilton long before the combine was considered a top 5 guy. He looked incredible in college.

Lloyd also looked awesome in college and I wanted him more but Hamilton would still have probably been my pick and that is hard to say. I cannot blame Decosta for that.

Decostas faults so far for me is (Derek wolfes contract extension) and Trading Orlando Brown JR.

Those are his two black eyes besides the entire 2019 draft.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    My #1 Prospect I wanted badly in round 1 was LB Devon Lloyd.

But if I was Decosta It would have been extremely hard to pass on Kyle Hamilton. I still think Hamilton is going to be very good.

Hamilton long before the combine was considered a top 5 guy. He looked incredible in college.

Lloyd also looked awesome in college and I wanted him more but Hamilton would still have probably been my pick and that is hard to say. I cannot blame Decosta for that.

Decostas faults so far for me is (Derek wolfes contract extension) and Trading Orlando Brown JR.

Those are his two black eyes besides the entire 2019 draft.
    Drafting Hollywood with a bum foot over Dk Metcalf and AJ Brown was another black eye that wasn’t hindsight 20-20.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    This year there were some really strong options for a pass rushers and to be fair they did take one. However is Ojabo coming off the achilles really going to be worth the wasted year? Should they have looked at another pass rusher early on top of Ojabo knowing he and Bowser were both out. Houston wasn't signed at that point. All the desirable free agents were gone. There was no one. I didn't understand the thinking then and I still don't.

I really believe that they Ravens feel that the secondary can make up for the lack of pass rush. That's why I started this thread. It's kind of like The Excelector's threads about why the philosophy has to change. Next year we could be seeing Brandon Stephens or Pepe starting on the outside and the $45 million that it would cost for Marcus Peters being spent on a free agent Edge rusher

Ojabo would have been a fine pick had they say signed Za'Darius Smith
    You can't hold coverage long enough in today's NFL for your secondary to be the driving force of pass defense. It has to be pass rush centric with competent guys on the back end. The rules are what they are and they have been designed to help receivers win. The Ravens defensive philosophy reminds me of this....we would be the dude with the sword lol

“A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Drafting Hollywood with a bum foot over Dk Metcalf and AJ Brown was another black eye that wasn’t hindsight 20-20.
    Yeah I agree with you on that.

This team massively needed a WR with the size of Brown or Metcalf

The entire 2019 draft was bad. Brown can play, but he is always going to be that guy who drops shit and disappears.

I watched last part of the cardinals game last week, Brown dropped a huge pass near the end of the game where the DB just put a shoulder into him and he dropped the ball. So I doubt that aspect ever changes with his game

Receivers are just too damn good and route trees in todays nfl are going to get receivers open. Coverage sacks are all but dead in the nfl. Your front 4 better get to the QB or its going to be a completion. You have to get the QB off his timing.

Let's be honest many people thought buffalo was crazy giving an older Von miller $120,000,000 contract.

But I watched an interview with their coach and he said, after watching the film they realized the only reason they didn't beat the chiefs was because they couldn't get Mahommes down so they were going to go all in on getting an elite pass rusher no matter the cost.

Keep in mind they already had a top defense (although a soft schedule helped), but it didn't mean anything if they couldn't get the QB on the ground.

Insert Von Miller, and look at what you have... Bills punching their ticket to the superbowl.

Tough to call this secondary elite when everyone's hurt. If you want to argue that spending too much on a secondary is stupid because CBs and Safeties get hurt all the time, I'll listen to that - our CB room has been cleared out by injuries way too many times. But I don't think there is really enough evidence to argue that, if healthy, spending money on secondary doesn't work because they haven't been healthy enough to even judge that. We certainly haven't seen 100% of M. Williams, Hump, and Peters play together yet.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    The Bills have one of the only Harabugh hires I have ever liked.

Leslie Frazier. He is the best secondary defensive coach in the NFL and Ravens Never should have let him go. I would have promoted Frazier to Defensive coordinator, fired Pees in a heart beat

THe Bills DE is stacked
    Von Miller, Shaq Lawson, AJ epenesa (I wish Decosta would try and trade for Epenesa) He is a guy I loved coming out in the draft.
    I still don't know why they didn't give Leslie a shot at the DC gig. SMH

I REALLY DON'T want to go back to the Rashawn Melvin, Chakye Brown days and signing prayers off so many practice squads other teams were elevating their guys to their own 53 just so the Ravens couldn't sign them.

Lol Bill Belichick singing Melvin after the Ravens cut him "we've always liked him and I wanted him on the Patriots" lol Bill could have signed him from the Dolphins before we did, to try to show up the Ravens, then cutting him a few games later (minimum time they had to keep him?).

They need better scouts IMO

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    They need to stop whiffing on 1st round defensive picks. Queen stinks. Oweh is just there. Hamilton . . . who the hell knows. There's more time for Oweh and Hamilton but spending a 1st on a mike LB is questionable to start with, so Queen sucking hurts even more.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    I agree. AT one time we had one of the best team of scouts. Many of them have been poached. Problem is, they haven't been replaced.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I agree. AT one time we had one of the best team of scouts. Many of them have been poached. Problem is, they haven't been replaced.
    I remember maybe 5-6 years ago Bisciotti talked about this and said that it was probably time to blend in some outside scouts to go with what had historically been the famous "20-20" club...where we brought in young guys, paid peanuts and trained them as they got promoted up the ladder. The new kids weren't on the levels of the old "kids".
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

While I have agreed with this philosophy for years, it’s hard to argue against at least thinking about reallocating assets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk