Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Is it Time to Rethink Cap Spending on the Secondary?

The Ravens have always spent heavily on the Secondary. They've drafted some excellent players like Ed Reed, Chris McAlister, Jimmy Smith and Marlon Humphrey who were expensive because they were high draft picks and became stars. Then there are the free agents such as Marcus Williams this year, Earl Thomas, Marcus Peters (a trade and then extension) Samari Rolle etc.... A strong Secondary has obviously been a goal. In the past 10 years as rules have changed to benefit passers is this really the best way to build your team?

Only the Ravens and Bengals spend more than 20% of their cap on the Secondary. The Jaguars are closest at around 18.5%. Most teams are between 10% to 13%. The Ravens are dead last in pass defense. The Bengals and Jaguars are middle of the pack after 2 games. The 49ers who are at the top spend 14.5%. And yes, these are full roster costs counting IR, PUP and Practice Squad. In recent years the Patriots who tend to be near the top in pass defense have done a 180 degree turn on their secondary. They also used to spend heavily on Darrel Revis, Aquib Talib and Stephon Gillmore but no longer. They dumped Gillmore. They didn't resign JC Jackson. Even Devin McCourty agreed to a smaller 1 year deal to stay with the team.

I could really see the Ravens starting to move in that direction next year. Marcus Peters should not be extended. Chuck Clark is likely to be a cap casualty. Just like the Patriots are doing I don't see major free agent salaries coming in as replacement. It will be the younger guys on the team getting those jobs and that money going somewhere else on the defense. Pass rush?

Re: Is it Time to Rethink Cap Spending on the Secondary?

IMHO...absolutely. I wasn't a fan to start but I couldn't really argue with the results i 2019 and 2020.

They really hit on something in 2019 with the "zigging while the league was zagging" thing after 2019...the investment in heavy based formations for the run, valuing TE's and safeties probably more than most of the league and going with corners over pass rushers in overall pass defense schemes.

It looks like the league caught up with some of this stuff and we'll see about the TE's and safeties being undervalued.

I've always felt a disruptive front 7 is better than corners and secondary play...disrupt the QB has always been what I was taught coming up through pop warner through HS and it's been that way with all the great defenses in College and NFL history. Ironically, I think we've tried at times...but it's just not been working with the picks EDC and Ozzie have made over the last 10-15 years.

I really love what the Bills have been building...they haven't really gotten any truly dominant guys on their front, but they've built up a really good rotation of guys in the last couple of drafts that keep pressure with just their front 4. I read somewhere that despite only blitzing like 3 times in 2 games, they lead the league in overall pressure rate at over 40%. Being able to get pressure with your front 4 and able to play zone with the back 7 is IMHO the best and most consistent way to be great.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    IMHO...absolutely. I wasn't a fan to start but I couldn't really argue with the results i 2019 and 2020.

They really hit on something in 2019 with the "zigging while the league was zagging" thing after 2019...the investment in heavy based formations for the run, valuing TE's and safeties probably more than most of the league and going with corners over pass rushers in overall pass defense schemes.

It looks like the league caught up with some of this stuff and we'll see about the TE's and safeties being undervalued.

I've always felt a disruptive front 7 is better than corners and secondary play...disrupt the QB has always been what I was taught coming up through pop warner through HS and it's been that way with all the great defenses in College and NFL history. Ironically, I think we've tried at times...but it's just not been working with the picks EDC and Ozzie have made over the last 10-15 years.

I really love what the Bills have been building...they haven't really gotten any truly dominant guys on their front, but they've built up a really good rotation of guys in the last couple of drafts that keep pressure with just their front 4. I read somewhere that despite only blitzing like 3 times in 2 games, they lead the league in overall pressure rate at over 40%. Being able to get pressure with your front 4 and able to play zone with the back 7 is IMHO the best and most consistent way to be great.
    To the Original Poster.

The Ravens are most likely going to be losing Peters and Clark anyway because of age, cost etc....
    They have drafted a number of secondary guys in recent years Davis, Williams, Hamilton, Stephens, Stone, undrafted guys like Washington are panning out.
    They should focus on finding another top tier DB next draft to replace Peters.

Next years draft should be focused on defense (Pass rusher, LBs and DB, Guard and OT) and this team should be stacked at all positions.

To Raveninwoodlawn
    Regarding this team zigging instead of zagging in 2019-2020 and how it succeeded. This has been the story of Romans career as an OC anywhere he has been. The difference with him now, John is the most complacent boss he has ever had so his accountability or anything changing will most likely not happen as long as Harbaugh is here.

I said this two days ago. The Bills are probably the model Franchise in the NFL right now from top to bottom from Roster building, contracts, health and productivity. The Ravens owners should be taking a hard look at what they are going and try and replicate it but honestly I think the sheer arrogance from the owner on down will probably over look what the bill are doing.

The Ravens do have a lot of good things going for them. I think Decosta has had more positives, than negatives. I just think they can improve in a lot of areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

Indeed, this was the formula for success for the outstanding Colts' defenses from 1958 through 1971.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Having an elite secondary with no pass rush is pointless. Buffalo has the best defense and they are starting rookies at corner. EDC completely shit the bed making this roster.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Having an elite secondary with no pass rush is pointless. Buffalo has the best defense and they are starting rookies at corner. EDC completely shit the bed making this roster.

If he needs help, he should look at the Bills.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

He has spent draft capital on the defense

2019 Jaylon Ferguson 2nd round pick. Obvious tragedy but he appeared to be bust any way
    2020 1st rounder on Queen
    2020 3rd rounder on Madibuike
    2020 rd round on Harrison
    2021 2nd Oweh
    2021 3rd stephens
    2022 1st Hamilton
    2022 3rd Ojabo
    2022 3rd jones

Then all the other later round guys (Hayes, Williams, Davis, Washington,)

He has burned plenty of draft capital on trying to fix it, because we know Ozzie left him with a pretty old roster of Defense by age.

They have some pieces, but the LB position has been incredibly weak, even the guys they have signed have not been all that good or gone down to injury.

Had they landed Bobby Wagner, I think the past two games might have looked different. There would not have been so many plays for 15-20 yards like the Dolphins kept getting.

Decosta has some failures, but its hard to not applaud his effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post

If he needs help, he should look at the Bills.
    The Bills have one of the only Harabugh hires I have ever liked.

Leslie Frazier. He is the best secondary defensive coach in the NFL and Ravens Never should have let him go. I would have promoted Frazier to Defensive coordinator, fired Pees in a heart beat

THe Bills DE is stacked
    Von Miller, Shaq Lawson, AJ epenesa (I wish Decosta would try and trade for Epenesa) He is a guy I loved coming out in the draft.

Blog Entries

Bro you called this in 2018 and it. has. not. changed.

https://forum.russellstreetreport.co...=lack+of+4+man

I don't think the philosophy of building the secondary out strong is necessarily flawed or bad, but you have to have SOMETHING up front. You can't have NOTHING, which is what they have now.

Makes you think what might have been with Z. I don't know how his overall play is so far but he does have a sack in both games.
    Last edited by Bhcforlife; 09-22-2022 at 11:19 AM.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    The Bills have one of the only Harabugh hires I have ever liked.

Leslie Frazier. He is the best secondary defensive coach in the NFL and Ravens Never should have let him go. I would have promoted Frazier to Defensive coordinator, fired Pees in a heart beat

THe Bills DE is stacked
    Von Miller, Shaq Lawson, AJ epenesa (I wish Decosta would try and trade for Epenesa) He is a guy I loved coming out in the draft.
    Don’t forget Ed Oliver, Gregory Rousseau, Jordan Phillips. They are stacked up front!

Don’t forget Ed Oliver, Gregory Rousseau, Jordan Phillips. They are stacked up front!
    I agree.

Oliver and Rousseau are good players. I was only referencing the RDE depth chart. I would be happy with AJ epenesa as a starter here and he is like their 3rd depth chart guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Bro you called this in 2018 and it. has. not. changed.

https://forum.russellstreetreport.co...=lack+of+4+man

I don't think the philosophy of building the secondary out strong is necessarily flawed or bad, but you have to have SOMETHING up front. You can't have NOTHING, which is what they have now.

Makes you think what might have been with Z. I don't know how his overall play is so far but he does have a sack in both games.
    Wow. Reading through that thread sounds exactly like the threads today. Nothing has changed. And it’s been 4/5 years.