Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Re: OT: 2022 Maryland Football

Quote Originally Posted by John Morris View Post
    Fridge is missed. The assistant we should have hired is on the Penn State sideline. Locksley is a ridiculously bad coach. Fortunately his recruiting gets him decent players, so he wins against mediocre teams by virtue of the talent he has. However, his teams underperform and are undisciplined and unprepared continually against decent competition. A comment above said "cut out the critical mistakes and see what happens"...........................That's the whole problem ! They make the same critical mistakes over and over and over for the last 5 years. We'll never "see what happens" under Locksley because it will never get cleaned up.
    Can’t argue with this (still suffering the realization that hopes for this season have taken a major setback).

That incompetent jackass AD in College Park in 2010 forced out HC Ralph Friedgen (after an 8-4 season), THE man who resurrected Maryland football in 2001 in a HUGE way. THAT dismissal forced me to stop being a fan of Terrapin football for a decade. If I was the replacement AD I would have made a public apology and BEGGED Friedgen to come back. But it’s much too late. Ralph is 75 and for the sake of his health he probably(?) needs to stay retired.

Ralph Friedgen, a Maryland alumnus, was so special, so unique. The reason being is that he was able to immediately win with the players he inherited (recruited by his predecessor HC Ron Vanderlinden). His first three seasons as UMD HC he went to three major bowl games. If only he could have beaten FSU he would have finished his FIRST regular season undefeated (2001).

Earlier this season, it seemed to me that Locksley was in the process of finally ‘turning the corner’ with his program. But with Tagovailoa’s recent injury (he’s just not nearly as effective as he was earlier this season), the last two losses show players being out-played AND coaches being out-coached.

I feel bad for Locksley’s personal tragedy (his son was murdered and the police are stumped), but he has to be held accountable. Moving Maryland athletics out of the ACC was a mistake on multiple levels - especially for the football program. The football Terps have yet to seriously compete within the Big Ten. I’m NOT satisfied with 6-7 wins annually against non-conference patsies, Rutgers, Indiana, Northwestern, Nebraska and other such mediocre programs. It’s just not that easy to pull off ONE upset against a legendary Big Ten program. Unfortunately, continued failure to do so means the recruiting won’t improve for both better players AND better coaches.

CCx

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    Can’t argue with this (still suffering the realization that hopes for this season have taken a major setback).

That incompetent jackass AD in College Park in 2010 forced out HC Ralph Friedgen (after an 8-4 season), THE man who resurrected Maryland football in 2001 in a HUGE way. THAT dismissal forced me to stop being a fan of Terrapin football for a decade. If I was the replacement AD I would have made a public apology and BEGGED Friedgen to come back. But it’s much too late. Ralph is 75 and for the sake of his health he probably(?) needs to stay retired.

Ralph Friedgen, a Maryland alumnus, was so special, so unique. The reason being is that he was able to immediately win with the players he inherited (recruited by his predecessor HC Ron Vanderlinden). His first three seasons as UMD HC he went to three major bowl games. If only he could have beaten FSU he would have finished his FIRST regular season undefeated (2001).

Earlier this season, it seemed to me that Locksley was in the process of finally ‘turning the corner’ with his program. But with Tagovailoa’s recent injury (he’s just not nearly as effective as he was earlier this season), the last two losses show players being out-played AND coaches being out-coached.

I feel bad for Locksley’s personal tragedy (his son was murdered and the police are stumped), but he has to be held accountable. Moving Maryland athletics out of the ACC was a mistake on multiple levels - especially for the football program. The football Terps have yet to seriously compete within the Big Ten. I’m NOT satisfied with 6-7 wins annually against non-conference patsies, Rutgers, Indiana, Northwestern, Nebraska and other such mediocre programs. It’s just not that easy to pull off ONE upset against a legendary Big Ten program. Unfortunately, continued failure to do so means the recruiting won’t improve for both better players AND better coaches.

CCx
    Locksley wasn't responsible for the move from the ACC to the Big 10 (or however many schools are in the conference). He is just trying to recruit his way to be competitive with the top levels of the Big 10, and he still has a ways to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Locksley wasn't responsible for the move from the ACC to the Big 10 (or however many schools are in the conference). He is just trying to recruit his way to be competitive with the top levels of the Big 10, and he still has a ways to go.
    I didn’t say that. The move out of the ACC was the AD’s decision based on money issues.

1. If Terps avoid fumbling opening kickoff, they tie Michigan 27-27 and go into OT.
    2. If Terps avoid having a punt blocked, they upset OSU 30-29.
    3. If Terps avoid those two critical mistakes, they COULD have had a 9-3* season. If they avoid one end zone penalty, they beat Purdue 29-27 and we’re talking 10-2*.

* assuming they beat Rutgers to finish the regular season.

Is it really fair to blame the coaches or the players or both?

CCx

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

The losses to Purdue, Michigan & OSU featured some of the worst officiating I've ever seen. Killer game changing penalties. One in particular yesterday had Locks steaming; thought he was going to slug the ref.

At the end of the half, we had the ball with 2 time outs and decent field position. Why didn't Locks make an attempt to get at least a FG????? We'd been passing the ball well and our kicker is good. I was SMH on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioleWay View Post
    The losses to Purdue, Michigan & OSU featured some of the worst officiating I've ever seen. Killer game changing penalties. One in particular yesterday had Locks steaming; thought he was going to slug the ref.

At the end of the half, we had the ball with 2 time outs and decent field position. Why didn't Locks make an attempt to get at least a FG????? We'd been passing the ball well and our kicker is good. I was SMH on that one.
    I also second-guess Locksley’s offensive play calling and believe he misses game-changing opportunities. (Wish he would try handing that responsibility over to someone on his staff OR hire an experienced outsider.)

On penalties, all I can say is that you have to command the respect of the referee and his crew. Not an easy task when going against the upper echelon of the Big Ten. The Terps STILL have yet to pull the upset(s) that will enable them to enter the upper echelon. Somehow, someway, they simply have to OVERCOME the unfair penalties while, at the same time, prevailing over their opponent. At least, Locksley should adjust how he communicates his displeasure to the officials. They don’t respect hotheads.

CCx
    Last edited by Corvus Corax; 11-23-2022 at 07:07 AM.

The good news is that the 2022 Terps are a tremendously improved edition over 2021. They have already given TWO top five teams (Michigan, OSU) a CONTEST!!! That fact HAS to improve recruiting. There must be ‘blue chip’ high school players who recognize that UMD is on the verge (at least) of entering the upper echelon. The immediate future is bright.

CCx