Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

OT: 2022 Maryland Football

{NOTE: Nobody is paying any attention to the General Sports Forum (Orioles, Terps, Navy, etc.). Since Terps football starts on September 3 (this Saturday), forced to copy my post here.}

Coming off last year’s 7-6 campaign, including the lopsided bowl victory over Virginia Tech, apparently didn’t significantly improve their recruiting. That’s too bad - especially for their defense. Of course, their only impressive regular season win was against West Virginia and that was the home opener. What really hurt their season was the loss of WR Dontay Demus in the brutal home loss to Iowa. They went into that game 4-0 knowing that they would be tested. QB Tagovailoa’s favorite target was suddenly gone for the season and he reacted with five interceptions.

Playing in the Big Ten’s Eastern Division can be overwhelming with annual meetings with Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State. They also have Wisconsin to deal with this season. All four teams are nationally ranked and represent virtually automatic losses for the Terps - although an upset of Wisconsin is at least conceivable. So the absolute best case scenario is a 9-3 season but the likelihood of that happening is very remote unless the defense somehow, someway dramatically improves. It won’t be easy because key starters on defense won’t be returning.

What is encouraging is the return of Tagovailoa and Demus along with the starting offensive line. They also have a highly touted kicker who transferred in.

Worst case scenario is 5-7 with wins over Buffalo, UNC-Charlotte, Rutgers, Indiana and Northwestern. The pivotal games are SMU (Terps have good track record against early season non-conference worthy opponents under HC Locksley), Penn State and Purdue. The difference between 5-7 and 8-4.

My prediction: 7-5 with wins over SMU and Penn State (road upset would be repeat of two seasons ago).

One major upset, however slim, is the key for dramatic improvement in recruiting. Not an easy task competing with the Big Ten legendary programs. The defense would have to ‘show up’ big time. Otherwise, Locksley is not the answer at HC.

CCx
    Last edited by Corvus Corax; 09-01-2022 at 10:40 PM.

Re: OT: 2022 Maryland Football

I too think a SMU win means a 7-win season. The offense will be good. It comes down to whether the defense can be average.

This will be recruiting until they have a NIL shop in place. Their current presence is, well, nil.

Blog Entries

Wisconsin and Maryland will meet on November 5th. Wisconsin is rebuilding the defense this season but the offensive line and running game look as good as ever. I agree that Maryland could push the score up on the Wisconsin defense but if the Badgers play ball control that line could just take over and dominate the time of possession for the win.

Blog Entries

By the way did anyone else see Penn State late comeback to Purdue last night? That's what the really good teams do. They make mistakes but find away to overcome when it counts. PSU looks pretty good despite poor QB play

Maryland's recruiting has been notably better recently. I think its Underarmour finally putting us on like Nike and Oregon.

I mean just look at the new Facility https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1au3Z8WwKIo its AMAZING.

The Ravens production team should go give them some pointers.
    Mike MacDonald should be our head coach next season

If Youre gonna say I said something, Quote me cause yall be lying.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post
    Maryland's recruiting has been notably better recently. I think its Underarmour finally putting us on like Nike and Oregon.

I mean just look at the new Facility https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1au3Z8WwKIo its AMAZING.

The Ravens facility in Owings Mills is great. The locker room at M&T, not so much. They did some renovations to it but it's still lipstick on a pig.

I reaally want Locksley to succeed, but I’m not convinced he has the “it” factor to be a really successful HC.
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post

Lol that’s sick

They need to go back to Terps helmet fulltime, and bring back the tortoise.

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Go terps fear the turtle

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee414 View Post
    I reaally want Locksley to succeed, but I’m not convinced he has the “it” factor to be a really successful HC.
    Neither am I. Undisciplined football. If they have 8 penalties against Michigan in a few weeks like against Buffalo they'll lose by 40 again like last year.

glad for the Buffalo win.

irritates me. we should be playing Wake Forest and NC State. I hate this whole B10 thing.
    (old guy rant over)

OP I'm glad you put the thread here. the other sections might as well not exist.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)