Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My hobby....

Re: My hobby....

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I saw some really interesting Youtube videos about hives getting "Africanized". I had a period where I was watching bee keeping videos, don't ask me how or why, and that was one of the phenomena that was interesting to me.

When hives go bad, lol.

I think in one the guy had to put whole hive down.
    Luckily they haven't made it much further north than Georgia. Africanized Bees produce much less honey so its a big issue

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I've been snowboarding for 18-19 years or so. I haven't gone in about 2-yrs...it hasn't been great weather for consistent snow in Maryland. I'm thinking about trying to get away for a long weekend at Wisp this year if I can.

Where do you teach?

I teach at Roundtop - recently purchased by Bail, just north of York PA. Just a little 500’ vertical but good varied terrain and it’s my “new home”.

Wisp doesn’t have quite the pitch for my preference but can certainly be enjoyable.

I had a Vermont trip planned back to my homeland for March 2020…. So…. Need to plan another as that was clearly cancelled….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Greg; 09-06-2022 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=jonboy79;2300493]
    I've been snowboarding for 18-19 years or so. I haven't gone in about 2-yrs...it hasn't been great weather for consistent snow in Maryland. I'm thinking about trying to get away for a long weekend at Wisp this year if I can.

Where do you teach?

[\QUOTE]

I teach at Roundtop - recently purchased by Bail, just north of York PA. Just a little 500’ vertical but good varied terrain and it’s my “new home”.

Wisp doesn’t have quite the pitch for my preference but can certainly be enjoyable.

I had a Vermont trip planned back to my homeland for March 2020…. So…. Need to plan another as that was clearly cancelled….

As far as mid Atlantic mountains are concerned, I think Snowshoe in WV is one of the better places I’ve been. I haven’t been to Seven Springs in PA, but I’ve heard it is a decent mountain.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

[QUOTE=wickedsolo;2300507]
    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

As far as mid Atlantic mountains are concerned, I think Snowshoe in WV is one of the better places I’ve been. I haven’t been to Seven Springs in PA, but I’ve heard it is a decent mountain.

Give Seven Springs a try. We love it. Lots of wide intermediate hills and great dining/ nightlife. There are condos you can book at the top of the hill that have their own lifts with condos to either side. Some guy was throwing beers from his balcony to people on the lift last time we were there.

Wasn’t impressed with Snowshoe. It was ok. Runs were weird. Wide with lots of lateral room, then all of a sudden it narrowed drastically and a lot of falls, etc., and the obligatory asshole straight lining through it all at Mach 10. Only place I’ve ever been where the town is above the slopes.

One eastern place getting a lot of raves is Holiday Valley. Even the ski magazines, which gush over out west are giving it thumbs up.

I have several hobbies - cooking/smoking, beer brewing, but my favorite non-work related things to do are woodworking and restoring vintage tools. I think I have about 50 vintage hand planes right now...some of which are quite old and rare.
    I love cooking on the smoker. My old one of 25 years rusted out and I had to replace it. I love cooking up a big spread and will make most of the meal on the smoker - main, sides, desserts.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    I love cooking on the smoker. My old one of 25 years rusted out and I had to replace it. I love cooking up a big spread and will make most of the meal on the smoker - main, sides, desserts.

Wow, you could really load that thing up.

I have a green mt grill pellet smoker. It’s awesome. If it ever dies, I’ll probably get a Yoder.

I’m also looking at adding a green egg (small one) to the mix.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Wow, you could really load that thing up.

I have a green mt grill pellet smoker. It’s awesome. If it ever dies, I’ll probably get a Yoder.

I’m also looking at adding a green egg (small one) to the mix.

I was looking at the Yoder Cheyenne last summer but didn't pull the trigger because you can only get it through dealers and I felt like I wanted to see it in person before doing that much. Rolled around to this year and they stopped making the Cheyenne so is have to step up to the Wichita which costs a lot more so I started researching again.

This one is the Marshall by The Good One. It's a charcoal/wood offset, but with a different design to the firebox which runs the entire width of the smoke chamber. Once you get the temp set by very minor adjustments to the baffle you don't have to touch it. I've done 10 hour cooks and never touched it. If you open the cooking chamber to flip, mop, add more food the temp goes right back to where it was almost immediately.