Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greta Van Fleet

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Greta Van Fleet

If you haven't heard this band yet and are into good hard rock music, check them out. I initially dismissed them as another Zeppelin cover band and was dead wrong. They are 100% original and incredibly talented. The lead singer has insane pipes and the guitar, bass & drums all exceptional.

My kids got me to go and I was blown away, arena here was sold out and I have a renewed faith in what young people are listening to today, as the crowd was mostly late teens, early 20's.

I'm a musician and follow rock music closely and can't get enough of this group. They're selling out everywhere. Nice to finally have something new to enjoy.

2. Re: Greta Van Fleet

Yeah, they've been gettin' some airtime on the local radio here. The DJ's were even talking about 'em the other day. The lead singer had me thinking of Alanis Morissette on "Highway Tune". I like 'em, too.

Re: Greta Van Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    Yeah, they've been gettin' some airtime on the local radio here. The DJ's were even talking about 'em the other day. The lead singer had me thinking of Alanis Morissette on "Highway Tune". I like 'em, too.
    Cool. Do you recall what tunes they're airing??

4. Re: Greta Van Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioleWay View Post
    Cool. Do you recall what tunes they're airing??
    That tune is the only one I have heard them play, but I only have that station (https://1059themountain.com) on when driving. It caught my attention because it actually sounded like Morissette on the lead vocals on that song. The DJ's talked about them before and after the song. I listen to Pandora a lot and will see if they are on there. I'll listen to damn near anything, as long as it takes actual talent and they have it.

5. Re: Greta Van Fleet

Looks like they are on Pandora. I'll have to look them up on there. Here's the Pandora bio on them:

Employing an earworm-heavy blend of hard rock and blues, Greta Van Fleet emerged in the mid-2010s while the bandmembers were still in their teens. Raised on a steady diet of classic FM vinyl, the sibling-led group’s brawny blend of stadium rock and rhythm & blues evoked both the Who and Led Zeppelin , with the latter act looming large due to frontman Josh Kiszka’s sonic similitude to Zep crooner Robert Plant . Choice placement in a 2017 episode of Showtime’s Shameless drove the fiery single “Highway Tune” up the charts, and by 2018 the band were appearing on everything from The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon to Elton John ’s Academy Award Party. Anthem of the Peaceful Army , the group’s 2018 debut album, cemented Greta Van Fleet’s status as the most commercially successful American rock band of their generation, a position they consolidated with The Battle at Garden's Gate, their 2021 sophomore set. Raised on rock in the Michigan city of Frankenmuth — a small town known as “Little Bavaria” and best known for Bronner’s Christmas Wonderland, a Christmas paradise that’s open year-round — the brothers Kiszka (twins Josh on vocals and Jake on guitar, plus younger brother Sam on bass) formed the band in 2012 with drummer Kyle Hauck, who was swapped out for Daniel Wagner in 2013. Early in 2014, they recorded a live EP — aptly titled Greta Van Fleet: Live in Detroit — and their original track “Standing On” appeared in a Detroit ad for the Chevy Equinox. Soon, the group were signed to Lava Records by Jason Flom and the label pushed “Highway Tune” in early 2017, landing it on the Showtime series Shameless and using it as the anchor for the group’s debut EP, Black Smoke Rising . Later that November, the band released a double EP, From the Fires , which included one album consisting of four new tracks and another four-song set that reassembled their Black Smoke Rising EP. In the U.S., From the Fires topped Billboard’s Hard Rock Albums chart and rocketed Greta Van Fleet to global success, charting throughout Europe and reaching number four in New Zealand. Endorsements from classic rock icons soon followed, with fellow Michigander Bob Seger pegging them to open a show and Robert Plant going on record to say that “they are Led Zeppelin I.” In July 2018, Greta Van Fleet issued “When the Curtain Falls,” the first single from their debut full-length, Anthem of the Peaceful Army , which arrived in October. The album was met with some notoriously scathing reviews, many critics pulling no punches in tearing apart the group’s Zeppelin -informed throwback sound and image. Nonetheless, it was a hit with fans and sold well, peaking at number three on the Billboard 200 and topping the rock albums chart. At the 61st annual Grammys, the band were nominated for Best New Artist as well as Best Rock Performance for “Highway Tune.” Though they didn’t win in those categories, From the Fires took home the Grammy for Best Rock Album. Greta Van Fleet contributed the Anthem of the Peaceful Army outtake “Always There” to the 2019 film A Million Little Pieces, and in 2020 they issued the singles “My Way, Soon” and “Age of Machine” ahead of the April 2021 arrival of their second studio LP The Battle at Garden's Gate. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Did not know this, but their albums are available on vinyl. Way cool. Daughter is really into old vinyl and listening to GVF on her turntable.

Black smoke rising was MUCH better than the follow-up. All four songs were bangers..: when the follow-up dropped and I lost a bit of urgency following them, but have since heard a few songs enough to appreciate them on their own merit, but that first EP, man, right from first listen that got to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

My son is almost 21 and a while back he put on their album (he has a good bit of vinyl - some of it my old stuff) and had me give is a listen. They are very good.

My son listens to 70s classic rock mostly, plays guitar and I hear him playing stuff I listened to at his age. I did something right. He knows about rap music and is somewhat familiar with it but if you get in his car he has the classics on Sirius.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    My son is almost 21 and a while back he put on their album (he has a good bit of vinyl - some of it my old stuff) and had me give is a listen. They are very good.

My son listens to 70s classic rock mostly, plays guitar and I hear him playing stuff I listened to at his age. I did something right. He knows about rap music and is somewhat familiar with it but if you get in his car he has the classics on Sirius.
    Sounds like our girl. A few years ago I went into her room to see if she was ready for a ride to school and told her she’s probably the only 15 year old girl on the planet listening to Triumph’s Allied Forces on vinyl 👍🏻

10. Re: Greta Van Fleet

Another group our local station has been giving airtime to lately is one called Dirty Honey. Give 'em a listen, if you get a chance. Although they are primarily a classic rock station, they have begun peppering in a bit of these groups lately and I like it. I surely would have never heard of any of them, otherwise.

The first time I heard them they took me to Led Zeppelin instantly.
    They and Maneskin, (as SoaD was before) are one of the new bands that take me back to that old time where I enjoyed Rock more.
    Since I was able to see AC/DC live, it's like I've reached the peak of rock, although I still listen, it's not what it used to be.
    Now I enjoy Rock, but more, occasionally

[QUOTE=ArgentinaRaven;2289266]
    Since I was able to see AC/DC live,
    /QUOTE]

Were you at River Plate in this video????????? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_GFN3a0yj0 This rocks!