Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 111213

Re: David Ojabo holding out

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    All I know is I am fucking right. What are we talking about?
    Yeah, what Cap said. LMAO.

2. Re: David Ojabo holding out

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I've convinced myself that my earlier comment about the team not wanting to set a precedent is the biggest factor in all this. It doesn't seem as though it's an issue with Ojabo, per say, but with the general principle of fully guaranteeing the third season. First Watson. Now this.

The chances are low that Ojabo does NOT playing out the third year of his contract and getting fully compensated, even with his current injury. So I don't think that is the issue. I think the issue is that if the team gives in here, there is momentum and suddenly all rookie contracts are fully guaranteed. The Ravens don't want to keep giving up ground and finding themselves, and the rest of the league, there. So they are taking a stand for that reason, I believe.

I'd add that I think the NFLPA sees a chance to make Ojabo the tip of the spear, here. Because he can't play this year, anyway, he has more flexibility to hold out...wait this out...while they fight for this out in order to gain concessions on behalf of agents and players.
    Ojabos agent may have convinced him that holding out is no problem. Ojabo may be under the impression he can reenter next years draft and go higher, making up the money he loses this year if not making more overall in the length of his rookie deal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBasedFan View Post
    Ojabos agent may have convinced him that holding out is no problem. Ojabo may be under the impression he can reenter next years draft and go higher, making up the money he loses this year if not making more overall in the length of his rookie deal.
    That would have been a horrible idea. Take where you were picked and be thankful, kick ass and make a 2nd contract down the road.

I do not believe there has ever been a player in the history of the NFL draft who refused to sign and re-entered the draft. That's a baseball thing. Bo Jackson and John Elway played chicken with threats but in the end played.
    "That's what."
    — She

I do not believe there has ever been a player in the history of the NFL draft who refused to sign and re-entered the draft. That's a baseball thing. Bo Jackson and John Elway played chicken with threats but in the end played.
    Bo Jackson refused to sign with Tampa Bay. He re-entered the draft the following year and was picked by the Raiders.
    Last edited by moose10101; 08-03-2022 at 09:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Interesting thought. Tried checking, not much, hit a lot of gobbly-gook with fantasy/mock/redrafting years later …

But did find some from the 80s who chose CFL or USFL
    And did find that if a player is undrafted, he cannot re-enter the draft next year (against the rules) cr La’el Collins 2015

Anyway 3 I found in addition to Bo already mentioned
    1979 Tom Cousineau Bills chose to sign CFL
    1980 Bruce Clark Packers CFL for 2 years then signed with Saints
    1983 Jim Kelly Bills went to the USFL for 2 years

Bunch of players refused to report to drafting team and got traded like Accorsi who got sh*t on by Irsay
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

7. Re: David Ojabo holding out

That would have been a horrible idea. Take where you were picked and be thankful, kick ass and make a 2nd contract down the road.
    Could not agree more but then we were not advising Ojabo during his holdout.

Ojabo signed earlier today.

He'll make much more money on a 2nd deal not having a fifth year option if he is any good.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Bo Jackson refused to sign with Tampa Bay. He re-entered the draft the following year and was picked by the Raiders.
    Thanks for jogging a memory that was "busy" with other activities in 1986. (partying, girls, grad school, alll in an effort to recover from the loss of my beloved Colts while living with three Browns fans who fed me shit sandwiches every chance they had on the topic).

You sent me down a rabbit hole, where I found a story I never heard about while Bo refused to sign with Tampa Bay. The short version was that while Bo was still at Auburn, contemplating coming out bc he was a clear #1 overall pick, Bucs owner Culverhouse flew him out on a private plane for a visit and claimed it was cleared, it wasn't, and NCAA violation. So Bo refused to sign.

I'm not sure the logic of this story holds up, but here it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Interesting thought. Tried checking, not much, hit a lot of gobbly-gook with fantasy/mock/redrafting years later …

But did find some from the 80s who chose CFL or USFL
    And did find that if a player is undrafted, he cannot re-enter the draft next year (against the rules) cr La’el Collins 2015

Anyway 3 I found in addition to Bo already mentioned
    1979 Tom Cousineau Bills chose to sign CFL
    1980 Bruce Clark Packers CFL for 2 years then signed with Saints
    1983 Jim Kelly Bills went to the USFL for 2 years

Bunch of players refused to report to drafting team and got traded like Accorsi who got sh*t on by Irsay
    Thanks for the research. Good stuff.

I do recall that the USFL was outbidding NFL teams in that era, which may explain Kelly.
    "That's what."
    — She

Has anyone mentioned Raghib "Rocket" Ismail? The Raiders actually drafted him in 1991 in the 4th round after they already knew he was signing in the CFL to play with the Toronto Argonauts. After playing in the CFL for 2 years, he returned to the NFL where the Raiders still retained his rights.

Interesting, because my understanding now is that if a player doesn't sign by next years draft you lose your rights to them.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERBLOOD View Post
    Interesting, because my understanding now is that if a player doesn't sign by next years draft you lose your rights to them.
    That is my understanding also. James Hurst was burnt because as undrafted he could not re-enter the draft. Seems like an Anti-trust concession to allow a draftee to refuse to sign and re-enter. “Yes senator, we are not a monopoly that absolutely restricts someone from working elsewhere”.

One thing this has got me thinking about is a possible CBA agreement to the effect that a team who knowingly drafts an injured player gets an extra year IF the player spends the first year completely on IR.

Would allow an injured player full medical/nutritional/facility access, and not leave someone having to get healthy at their own expense (James Hurst)
    Would also stop a player rushed back in order to get some return on investment in the 1st of 4 years. I know details to work out like how and when is signing bonus paid especially if a high draft pick, but I think this would have a player drafted closer to his real uninjured slot if the drafting team is not “penalized” a year’s playing time like the Ravens were with Poindexter.

Basically a player gets a one year minimum payday, with a guaranteed escrowed signing bonus payable at the start of the next fiscal year when his 4 active years begin. Signing bonus is guaranteed but does not start becoming cap charges while the player is on IR.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old