Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Odafe Oweh over/under 12 sacks.

I havent seen the progression from him to think hes going to take a huge leap that 12+ sacks would be. I see the potential, and he may get there someday, but I dont see that this year. I see him more in the 8-10 range. Thats assuming a few things, health of the overall defense, MacDonalds hopefully more friendly front 7 approach, and some natural progression. I think coverage sacks will be more of a thing if our secondary plays as it looks on paper. However, I think opportunities will be less if we get back to our winning ways of 2019-2020. more stops on defense + more ball control offense = less opportunity, and if everybody plays to potential, I think teams will use a quick pass, dump off approach, and maybe a heavy run approach themselves against us rather than continue to test our secondary deep.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 07-21-2022 at 09:08 AM.
    -JAB

Under

Love Oweh but 12 would be a huge leap. I'd look at anything over 7 as a great season regardless because Oweh also plays the run

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    Under

Love Oweh but 12 would be a huge leap. I'd look at anything over 7 as a great season regardless because Oweh also plays the run
    7 or 8 is the number I have as well but with a ton of pressures.

I'm expecting sacks from unexpected places like Queen, Humphrey and Hamilton. McPhee is gone. Sack Daddy is gone. Bowser is coming off a serious leg injury. Ojabo might not play at all and if he does it will be late in the year. Houston is a year older. If you are looking to stop a pass rusher then Oweh is the guy you are focusing on. He's going to get targeted and doubled which means sacks are going to come from unexpected places. Unless a team has dominant inside pressure or a complimentary rusher it's very difficult for 1 outside guy to get a ton of sacks.

In 2023 with all those guys healthy Oweh has a real shot at 12+ sacks. The numbers just look against him based on the pieces in place in 2022.

Blog Entries

Reminded how many times last year I saw completions with QB hits.
    Looked like QBs were holding the ball until someone sprung open and just got the pass off.
    Have much more optimistic outlook for this year.

Suspect the HIT total will go down for 2 reasons.
    1. The tighter coverage will have the ball being pulled back more often, yielding a sack instead of a hit.
    2. Pressure will have balls coming out earlier yielding more interceptions/PDs.

Not a lot of QBs are throwaway artists. Play not there, throw it out of bounds and start over, or dump it at his feet. (Except for qbs named Lamar who would probably start looking for the gap to run in).

Big difference I am expecting to see is pressure without a bunch of secondary on islands.
    Others have brought up a term I don’t think we heard much at all last year. Coverage Sack.

That’s going to help Odafe but 12 times? Do-able but right now needs stronger purple colored glasses than I have.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Y’all do realize he started 2 games and had 5 sacks and 15 QB hits as a rookie. And that’s with Wink and terrible coverage.

7-8 sacks starting 17 games and pinning his ears back would be a complete failure of a season for him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensblitzkrieg View Post
    Y’all do realize he started 2 games and had 5 sacks and 15 QB hits as a rookie. And that’s with Wink and terrible coverage.

7-8 sacks starting 17 games and pinning his ears back would be a complete failure of a season for him.
    Forget the starts. That means nothing. Oweh played 615 snaps last year. The only OLB who played more was Bowser at 834 and Oweh missed the last 2 games with injury so he was in line for the highest snaps at the position. This was not a part time player. How many more snaps is Oweh going to play? 200 - 250 which puts him in line with Bowser. It's not like he's playing double the snaps in 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    sacks are great, but INTs are better.
    Careful. Go on like that and next thing you know you'll be caught saying “sacks are overrated”.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Surprised by some of these answers. Maybe I’m just too high on Odafe. I could easily see him reaching 13-14 sacks barring injury. He’s that much of a freak.
    Fine by me if you wind up right about this.

If Ronnie Stanley comes back at 90% or better, and the team's overall health stays pretty good; then Oweh becoming a 13/14-sack guy would put us in the conference champship game.

He's a great defender and football player already however I dont see the upper body strength to produce plays like Watt, Bosa's, Garret's of the NFL, whom get special attention from Offensive play callers and still abuse Lineman and make plays on the QB everygame. This is his second year and most guys make leaps in strength training so I wont count him out from ever being ELITE.

Oweh said himself he's looking to be disruptive and ruin plays, not obsessing about sacks, and I expect thats what he will be. I think the line should be at 8 myself.

If Oweh stays healthy all season AND both the DL and secondary play up to their potential I think 12 sacks is possible. But a more likely outcome is 8-9 sacks, so I'd take the under.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Forget the starts. That means nothing. Oweh played 615 snaps last year. The only OLB who played more was Bowser at 834 and Oweh missed the last 2 games with injury so he was in line for the highest snaps at the position. This was not a part time player. How many more snaps is Oweh going to play? 200 - 250 which puts him in line with Bowser. It's not like he's playing double the snaps in 2022.
    219 more snaps is a lot. That can easily be 2 more sacks just on increase in snaps. That’s if he got no better than last year and kept his same pace.

So you are proving the point.

7 sacks with 215 more snaps would be matching his same production as his rookie season.

I expect much more from him.

He will have a few multi sack games when he gets a favorable matchups and a few 0 sack games as expected.

I could be wrong it’s just a guess. But I for sure will bump this thread if he reaches 12.5 like I’m predicting

for perspective, only five Ravens have ever had 12+ sack seasons, and the last one to do it was Dumervil when we still had Haloti Ngata at nose tackle. i would love to see him get 12, but Adalius Thomas and Rob Burnett didn't even get to 12 sacks as Ravens, and they were playing on defenses that challenged offensive lines much more than this team can.