Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Re: Offensive Line Predictions for this Year

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I can't see a reason why Stanley wouldn't be forced to retire if he's not ready to play this season.
    Pretty much my point, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Re: Offensive Line Predictions for this Year

Quote Originally Posted by GullyGill View Post
    hearing that Ben Powers is currently in the lead for the starting LG spot is scary

hopefully Cleveland takes a jump and wins the job but im not sure he’ll be any better than Powers at pass blocking

and what’s going on with Tyree Phillips?He getting outplayed by Powers?

Are they letting Makari compete for the spot or is he locked in as a backup?
    I'm not expecting him to hold on to that lead unless he has done a ton of work to better his play strength. His play strength is pretty poor as a pass blocker in particular.

Blog Entries

I’ve thought that Powers was the best LG on the roster since last year. The main benefit Cleveland has is that he’s younger and much, much cheaper. I want Cleveland to be better…but he’s not there yet. I think Phillips has the best upside…high level play from him is better then high level play from Powers, but Phillips upside also makes him insurance at OT which has slowed down his development at OG. Jack of all trades, master of none type situation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I’ve thought that Powers was the best LG on the roster since last year. The main benefit Cleveland has is that he’s younger and much, much cheaper. I want Cleveland to be better…but he’s not there yet. I think Phillips has the best upside…high level play from him is better then high level play from Powers, but Phillips upside also makes him insurance at OT which has slowed down his development at OG. Jack of all trades, master of none type situation.
    He didn't get enough targets either right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    IMO Mekari is a flat out better guard than Powers. More athletic and better in pass protection. Mekaris tape at guard was always better than whatever Powers has put out there. There's also no way Powers would be able to play any live snaps at RT. Mekari proved to be serviceable at RT.

Bit confused to why the coaching staff doesn't see that... But they know a million times more than any of us about these guys so is what it is.

So early, too early to handicap this O line. We have six weeks to figure things out. Let them keep moving players around to try as many combinations as possible. By the third preseason game things will settle out and backups figured out. Even the spares will get traded if possible for late round draft picks.

How many spots are up in the air? Three I figure. Center and right guard are set. Stanley will either play or he won’t. If not then they will put their best tackle at left tackle and second best at right tackle. That leaves only the left guard. I think everybody, including the water boy will get a chance to win this spot. I think Cleveland will win it. Then you need to just settle four or five backups. Four most likely with anymore than that as trade bait.

So my hopeful line is Stanley, Cleveland, center and guard already set, Moses with backups four in total. The trick will be to get one or more spares onto the PS. Fans always expect their spares to get poached but every team has the same problem trying to get their guys onto their PS.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    IMO Mekari is a flat out better guard than Powers. More athletic and better in pass protection. Mekaris tape at guard was always better than whatever Powers has put out there. There's also no way Powers would be able to play any live snaps at RT. Mekari proved to be serviceable at RT.

Bit confused to why the coaching staff doesn't see that... But they know a million times more than any of us about these guys so is what it is.
    I didn't really consider Mekari in the LG competition in my last post. I think people misremember a lot about when/where/how well Mekari played on the OL. I can't remember the last time Mekari actually played LG.

Powers play....at LG grades roughly the same as Mekari play at RT per pff and that matches what i see.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Any news on how Ben Cleveland is doing? I haven't heard anything since the first couple of days after he passed the conditioning test.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of OZ View Post
    I'm not expecting him to hold on to that lead unless he has done a ton of work to better his play strength. His play strength is pretty poor as a pass blocker in particular.
    Harbs does seem to love his continuity approach.

I would like to see Cleveland win the job. Hope he gets his ass in shape quickly

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertN View Post
    Any news on how Ben Cleveland is doing? I haven't heard anything since the first couple of days after he passed the conditioning test.
    saw someone ask Jeff Z and his was response was 'he's been OK I guess'.

Jeff Zrebiec
    @TheAthletic

He’s been ok I guess. Feels like he has more ground to make up than he should. These games will be big for him.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

My week 1 lineup:

Morgan-Powers-Tyler-Zeit-Mekari

What I think they’ll do:

James-Powers-Tyler-Zeit-Moses

Best case/Ideal OL

Stanley-Powers-Lindy-Zeit-Moses

Blog Entries

Ed I think you nailed it