Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: Lamar Development Question

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    I'm not saying its his real life. You misinterpret what people are saying.

Managing your image is a PART of being the franchise QB. Decision making on and off the field matters for ALL players, but even moreso star QBs. And that includes social media.

Its nice to pretend like some of this stuff is normal, but point me to the other paid franchise QBs doing this. Or, doing it before they got their deals. They don't. On purpose, or by accident. You're not supposed to.

Its about about intent there. Its about having a normal management team OR being able to manage yourself. The team is wanting to pay Lamar, but if their standoff is about a fully guaranteed deal, he's not helping his case.
    You are misinterpreting what I'm saying.

Everything you just wrote comes from a place of tradition and discomfort for YOU and folks that think like you in regards to stuff like this. I AM ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE AS WELL. The point I am trying to get across to you is that there are people(adults) albeit young, who do not think this way. Yes it may hurt them. Yes it may make people like you and me think they are irresponsible or immature. It doesn't change the fact that they still march to their own beat no matter how many times WE think they are stubbing their toes. Sometimes the toe stubbing will force them to finally "get it" and conform to the way us established folks think it should be done. But sometimes, they don't and they won't. When they are as talented or sought after as a LJ is, they may not have to. He has been doing things his way for a long time now and while it has gotten him some dirty looks and some stern advice and quite a bit of admonishment at damn near every turn, it still has not prevented him from achieving great success both on and off the field as an NFL QB. Sure, it would make us all feel better if he would hire an agent, give canned statements and simply tell the Ravens to add 1 million to the Josh Allen deal and get it done. That would be "professional". That would show "maturity" or whatever other key words folks want to see. I'm just saying, SOME OF THESE KIDS ARE NOT WIRED TO CONFORM TO WHAT YOU WANT. And that can be a good thing because it can lead to some truly different types of behaviors emerging. Or it could all go to shit if the FO or braintrust decides it's all too risky and unfamiliar and therefore not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    You are misinterpreting what I'm saying.

Everything you just wrote comes from a place of tradition and discomfort for YOU and folks that think like you in regards to stuff like this. I AM ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE AS WELL. The point I am trying to get across to you is that there are people(adults) albeit young, who do not think this way. Yes it may hurt them. Yes it may make people like you and me think they are irresponsible or immature. It doesn't change the fact that they still march to their own beat no matter how many times WE think they are stubbing their toes. Sometimes the toe stubbing will force them to finally "get it" and conform to the way us established folks think it should be done. But sometimes, they don't and they won't. When they are as talented or sought after as a LJ is, they may not have to. He has been doing things his way for a long time now and while it has gotten him some dirty looks and some stern advice and quite a bit of admonishment at damn near every turn, it still has not prevented him from achieving great success both on and off the field as an NFL QB. Sure, it would make us all feel better if he would hire an agent, give canned statements and simply tell the Ravens to add 1 million to the Josh Allen deal and get it done. That would be "professional". That would show "maturity" or whatever other key words folks want to see. I'm just saying, SOME OF THESE KIDS ARE NOT WIRED TO CONFORM TO WHAT YOU WANT. And that can be a good thing because it can lead to some truly different types of behaviors emerging. Or it could all go to shit if the FO or braintrust decides it's all too risky and unfamiliar and therefore not worth it.

I hear that, but the people with the checkbooks are traditional. They have revenue sources (advertisersing, fans, mechanise, etc.) that relate directly to team image and how its managed.

Washington Football Team / Commanders - their inability to manage their image and otherwise behave have the franchise in turmoil. And really, it goes back to ownership off the field, but on the field the failure to have a marketable franchise QB who can control and manage himself (whether is be the RG3 stuff, Kirk Cousins acting a fool, or the nonsense at QB before and afterwards) has hurt them.

Lamar on the field is electric. Off the field, his management of his affairs leaves something to be desired.

Saying its up to management to ignore tradition and discomfort to placate him - maybe. MAYBE. I think they are doing their best. But maybe the people with Billions are the people he should want to placate if he wants to be a billionaire himself (as he has professed).

Yes I agree, maybe he's not wired to conform. I'm saying that could cost him his dream of being a Billionaire. I certainly hope not.

I have hope that as the season approaches he feels some normal pressure / desperation and realizes the need to get a deal done, or otherwise protect himself.

Along those lines I also hope maybe he has an insurance policy out on himself for this season. Probably wouldn't cost more than a couple million to insure himself / his body against major injury for 2022 if he truly intends on playing it out on the 5th year option. That's something a good agent would suggest, and who knows if his "management team" has even thought of it.

I hear that, but the people with the checkbooks are traditional. They have revenue sources (advertisersing, fans, mechanise, etc.) that relate directly to team image and how its managed.

Washington Football Team / Commanders - their inability to manage their image and otherwise behave have the franchise in turmoil. And really, it goes back to ownership off the field, but on the field the failure to have a marketable franchise QB who can control and manage himself (whether is be the RG3 stuff, Kirk Cousins acting a fool, or the nonsense at QB before and afterwards) has hurt them.

Lamar on the field is electric. Off the field, his management of his affairs leaves something to be desired.

Saying its up to management to ignore tradition and discomfort to placate him - maybe. MAYBE. I think they are doing their best. But maybe the people with Billions are the people he should want to placate if he wants to be a billionaire himself (as he has professed).

Yes I agree, maybe he's not wired to conform. I'm saying that could cost him his dream of being a Billionaire. I certainly hope not.

I have hope that as the season approaches he feels some normal pressure / desperation and realizes the need to get a deal done, or otherwise protect himself.

Along those lines I also hope maybe he has an insurance policy out on himself for this season. Probably wouldn't cost more than a couple million to insure himself / his body against major injury for 2022 if he truly intends on playing it out on the 5th year option. That's something a good agent would suggest, and who knows if his "management team" has even thought of it.
    Thread is getting hijacked but whatever - Question - What was the foolishness that Cousins is guilty of? I really haven't heard much.

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    Thread is getting hijacked but whatever - Question - What was the foolishness that Cousins is guilty of? I really haven't heard much.
    Man, a lot. Cousins hasn't really been loved by either coaching staff, ownership, locker rooms, or fan base (he had a 1 year run I recall where the WFT fanbase bought into him) despite Top 15 QB play and fringe elite moments.

The initial "you like that" moment was authentic and endearing, but then it turning into a catch phrase for a while? Would be like if Lamar got stuck on "not bad for a running back". Its the kind of thing thats about self and not team. The playing Tag with Washington multiple years and peacing out. Washington had a part to play in that, but he was also selfishly maxing out compensation with no eye towards cap management and any view to long run success with WFT. Could say the same about his fully guaranteed pact with Minnesota (these are deals which hamstring teams cap wise, in terms of structure - I have no beef with anyone getting paid).

The anti-vax stuff during covid protocols making him unavailable for key games for the Vikes, including close contacts AND being infected. Saying jokingly or not that he had thought about surrounding himself with portable plexiglass to protect himself from Covid, or doing anything but vax to combat it; he's had a lot of strange to bad quotables. Its media messes that are (yes, the cliche) "distractions" from real football. https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/...covid-19-masks

To some, this won't matter - and to be clear, all of that doesn't matter if you're Tom Brady.

But if you're a top 15ish guy getting paid a lot of money but not winning a lot of playoff games etc. - most coaching staffs, lockerooms, ownership groups, and majority of fanbases would like their top paid guys to manage themselves and keep it buttoned up.

Anyway, i'm not trying to hijack this - it slid towards Lamar's maturity in his off the field stuff business stuff.

I just want him to get paid (ideally here) and not have something crazy happen. I think the ravens feel that way as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePower View Post
    I hope his maturity grows.

Just doing wiser things like hiring an agent instead of listening to your mom, stop posting stuff like "I want $" on Twitter (regardless of what reason you have - understand the situation), and not playing the "I wont engage the Ravens on a contract... one month later, now I will!".

He just seems fairly immature - not as a whole, but with some of the stuff he does. But to be honest I was very immature as a 25 year old as well.
    The only thing that scares me about Lamar is his friendship with Kodak Black.

That guy is a walking headline, and not in a good way.

Lamar can be as sensible and mature all he wants, but one night out with Kodak gone bad and it can all go to hell.

Stuff like this almost derailed Ray Lewis, but for the grace of God.

Anyway, i'm not trying to hijack this - it slid towards Lamar's maturity in his off the field stuff business stuff.

I just want him to get paid (ideally here) and not have something crazy happen. I think the ravens feel that way as well.
    I hear you - I just wanted to focus on football and hear stuff about fundamentals, hot reads, and the like.

I just saw the direction this was going, and can't really blame anyone. Growing as a leader is part of the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Carcetti View Post
    The only thing that scares me about Lamar is his friendship with Kodak Black.

That guy is a walking headline, and not in a good way.

Lamar can be as sensible and mature all he wants, but one night out with Kodak gone bad and it can all go to hell.

Stuff like this almost derailed Ray Lewis, but for the grace of God.
    This is a great point.

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    I hear you - I just wanted to focus on football and hear stuff about fundamentals, hot reads, and the like.

I just saw the direction this was going, and can't really blame anyone. Growing as a leader is part of the challenge.
    He has SO much money coming his way, Lamar does. A lot of good he can do for his family, Baltimore, and whatever hometown(s) he claims. Its just how hard do you play the hand?

The reality is, the injury risk of this was less to Kirk Cousins or Dak Prescott because rushing yards weren't an integral part of their game. For Lamar, if he got the Prescott type injury, that might spell real trouble for he and the team.

Its why, I think he they can't come to an extension by start of 2023 season, the Ravens will grow weary of the risk and just trade him and talk multiple firsts as well as other assets.

But I HOPE they get something done before this camp. If it goes into the season, I'm not sure they extend. On the Ravens side, I bet they hadn't extended with Stanley in-season. They have to feel snakebit about that.

He has SO much money coming his way, Lamar does. A lot of good he can do for his family, Baltimore, and whatever hometown(s) he claims. Its just how hard do you play the hand?

The reality is, the injury risk of this was less to Kirk Cousins or Dak Prescott because rushing yards weren't an integral part of their game. For Lamar, if he got the Prescott type injury, that might spell real trouble for he and the team.

Its why, I think he they can't come to an extension by start of 2023 season, the Ravens will grow weary of the risk and just trade him and talk multiple firsts as well as other assets.

But I HOPE they get something done before this camp. If it goes into the season, I'm not sure they extend. On the Ravens side, I bet they hadn't extended with Stanley in-season. They have to feel snakebit about that.
    Honestly, I am getting nervous about all our extensions. I think they are good moves - just cursed.