Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 151617
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Should Lamar Jackson Do What Bobby Bonilla Did With His Part Of His Contract?

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    I think the question is - having the Ravens do it to provide any additional benefit to Lamar is going to have to be reflected in the cap someway. If the deal specified the Ravens buy X annuity, with X broker / firm or whatever, any benefits are going to have to be reflected in the cap.

I'm not saying anything "can't" be done because literally, we don't know.

What I'm suggesting is the NFL and the NFLPA are highly likely to punt that back and tell them not to do it.

The bunch of reasons IMHO would be 1) again any additional financial benefit (ravens paying the commissions to buy the annuity, or interest earned in any way via this mechanism) would have to calculated and reflected on the cap - the league isn't going to want to introduce new math or language on this. Does interest via a team bought annuity count as an incentive LTBE or something? 2) if the Ravens purchase it, they would have to select who they buy from and there could be conflicts of interest there (again, I imagine the NFLPA and the NFL itself would just suggest to Lamar that he directly buy it, AND that he shops around and picks his own package). 3) Deferring taxes could also likely be viewed as another benefit, and the league has an anti-trust exemption from Uncle Sam - I don't think they want to get in the business of teams trying to help players manipulate taxes (albeit, legally)

Overall, the simplest solution is for Lamar to buy his own anuity. NFL, in terms of contracts, isn't usually in the business of opening up any Pandora's boxes. They punt back contracts for bad / irregular / new language regularly. I think thats what would happen here if they tried to do any of this.

AND - there is no cash flow or salary cap benefits to this for the Ravens. No reason for the action at all.

Lamar would just buy one. The Ravens could help him navigate that space after cutting him a normal check, but beyond that, I think its unlikely it would ever be formally codified.
    Why?

Players in state with no income taxes pay less taxes than players that have to pay state income taxes. That isn't reflected in the cap.

Nothing personal but you keep throwing shit on this wall and it is nothing but speculation.

The cap, as far as I can read, reflects what the team pays out on behalf. The cost of the annuity would cost X for the Ravens and that number would be what goes on the cap. The value of the annuity increasing over time would happen once it belongs to Lamar.

And in any case other teams could do the same thing.

And I am not even saying either should do this, but if Lamar wants a lifetime income guarantee for some reason there is a plausible way to do it.

Re: Should Lamar Jackson Do What Bobby Bonilla Did With His Part Of His Contract?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Why?

Players in state with no income taxes pay less taxes than players that have to pay state income taxes. That isn't reflected in the cap.

Nothing personal but you keep throwing shit on this wall and it is nothing but speculation.

The cap, as far as I can read, reflects what the team pays out on behalf. The cost of the annuity would cost X for the Ravens and that number would be what goes on the cap. The value of the annuity increasing over time would happen once it belongs to Lamar.

And in any case other teams could do the same thing.

And I am not even saying either should do this, but if Lamar wants a lifetime income guarantee for some reason there is a plausible way to do it.
    The team isn't doing anything there to directly give the player a benefit.

In this case the team would be taking an action that sweeten the pot.

Again, the most plausible way for Lamar to do this is to do it himself. Anything written into contract, the NFL is going to want the cap to accurately reflect the benefit. And likely, they and the NFLPA would just punt the deal back and say take that out, and Lamar do it yourself.

Either way, it doesn't off the team any benefit to do it unless Lamar requested it. Then if he requested it and that they do it (buy an annuity for him rather than his buying it himself), they would likely run it up to the league to ask if they could. And my GUESS, my OPINION is the league doesn't want complication (and neither does the player's union) and they punt it back. They do this all the time for less.