Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Free talk Friday - 07.01.22

I'll 2nd BCs post. Happy 4th everyone!

Grilling and having a beer now, kayaking tomorrow, and doing a bunch of yard work throughout the weekend.

One other perspective on music lessons. An unmotivated student is probably unlikely to go very far with or without instruction (though in some cases a great teacher might inspire them). A motivated student might not know the difference between a good or bad source of instruction on YouTube or elsewhere online. They could master the instrument that way, but they could turn into a good-not-great player whose ingrained too many bad habits.

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post

What you say makes a lot of sense. On the other hand, I am thinking about an aspect of lessons that you didn't mention and that's accountability. It seems like some of their motivation to practice was to not disappoint their teacher. I wonder if you're underselling the value you provide to your students on that count?

I assume many of your students are middle schoolers? Do you think the YouTube route could work for them? Do you have any advice for parents "homeschooling" their kids on piano practice? Any tricks that get a kid to be inherently more interested with being accountable to a teacher?
    You make some excellent points. Yes, having a teacher does present the aspect of accountability. I work with young children, my private students and classes are ages 6-12. It's my job to make sure they're having fun in the lessons, as well as learning, so they will want to attend lessons. We do music theory games, etc., which they like.

I guess my point was using YouTube would work only if you're self-motivated.

I had an adult sax student years ago. that was playing his ass off after just a few weeks. I taught him the fundamentals, sound production, breathing, fingering, etc., and this guy went home and practiced for hours a day. Was doing extra pages in the method book. He discontinued lessons after maybe 3 months of weekly appointments.
    Last edited by TheOrioleWay; 07-03-2022 at 07:24 AM.

Me and another fellow Coastie of mine are in charge of setting off the fireworks at my local park tomorrow evening. We expect around 500 or so people for the 4th celebrations, should be a great time. I miss being in the Coast Guard I really do but I love teaching as well. Hope everyone has a great 4th!
    Anything worth doing in life requires grit and determination.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Giggles View Post
    Me and another fellow Coastie of mine are in charge of setting off the fireworks at my local park tomorrow evening. We expect around 500 or so people for the 4th celebrations, should be a great time. I miss being in the Coast Guard I really do but I love teaching as well. Hope everyone has a great 4th!
    Stay safe and have fun. Sounds like a great time!