Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: OT: USC and UCLA join big10

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Osu and Michigan fans would riot if they didn't play every year.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    At least osu fans although Mich finally got one last season

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Giggles View Post
    I despise the whole conference moving thing tbh and always have. The idea of just having power conferences is ridiculous. Yes all about money obviously, but the rest of the sports besides football will suffer. But yes I know as long as they make money off football, why should they give a damn?

I'm a Tar Heel fan and hope never leave the ACC but would not be totally stunned if we do down the line.
    Most schools the football program pays for the rest of the sports, which may be part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Can't stand psu. Their fans are the worst. Every year they pretend they are a contender. They'll never be a contender as long as Ohio state is their super bowl every year.

They still worship...literally idolize Joe Paterno after the Sandusky issues.

And let's not even get into the fact a significant portion of their fan base are Steeler fans
    A not insignificant portion are eagles fans as well. Was mad annoying not being a fan of either and seeing them drunk and belligerent with each other.

Osu and Michigan fans would riot if they didn't play every year.

I was assuming they'd still play every year. As would USC and ND, for instance.
    "That's what."
    — She

College football as we have known it growing up for the past half century has changed and will never look like it did in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Giggles View Post
    I despise the whole conference moving thing tbh and always have. The idea of just having power conferences is ridiculous. Yes all about money obviously, but the rest of the sports besides football will suffer. But yes I know as long as they make money off football, why should they give a damn?

I'm a Tar Heel fan and hope never leave the ACC but would not be totally stunned if we do down the line.
    I would be totally stunned if the ACC even exists by 2027.

I heard an interesting concept attributed to Len Elmore, the former Maryland basketball star and Rhodes Scholar.

Elmore's idea is simple. Break off football from all the other sports and let the school presidents and ADs create their own College Football governing body, officiating staff, everything. Let them create whatever conference alignments, TV contracts, and NIL agreements they want.

This wasn't Elmore's idea per se, but I was imagining that, let's say 64 teams break off and form this, well, league. For get traditional conferences. Just make a 8 pods of eight teams each. Twelve game season means 7 pod games every year and 5 games outside your pod. No more games versus Howard or Akron. The 64 teams divide the revenue and make deals with the traditional Bowls for a larger playoff system. The networks fight to the death over who can pay the most.

Meanwhile, most of the revenue still goes back to the schools and still funds other sports, but those other sport remain under NCAA purview. In which case schools could go back to geographically sane conference configurations and traditional rivalries. Let the NCAA run March Madness and everything else, but football has gotten too big. Given it's not ever going back to our father's NCAA football, cutting it loose may be the best solution. And for traditionalists, Those outside the 64 can still play within the NCAA system. Maybe the Gang of 64 presidents pledge a percentage of revenue back to the NCAA to distribute. And let's not pretend like there is no revenue to be made from basketball and other sports, it's just not football money.

If it meant Maryland playing ACC basketball opponents again, but still raking in the revenue, I think I'd go for that.
    Last edited by Shas; 07-03-2022 at 06:02 PM.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I heard an interesting concept attributed to Len Elmore, the former Maryland basketball star and Rhodes Scholar.

Elmore's idea is simple. Break off football from all the other sports and let the school presidents and ADs create their own College Football governing body, officiating staff, everything. Let them create whatever conference alignments, TV contracts, and NIL agreements they want.

This wasn't Elmore's idea per se, but I was imagining that, let's say 64 teams break off and form this, well, league. For get traditional conferences. Just make a 8 pods of eight teams each. Twelve game season means 7 pod games every year and 5 games outside your pod. No more games versus Howard or Akron. The 64 teams divide the revenue and make deals with the traditional Bowls for a larger playoff system. The networks fight to the death over who can pay the most.

Meanwhile, most of the revenue still goes back to the schools and still funds other sports, but those other sport remain under NCAA purview. In which case schools could go back to geographically sane conference configurations and traditional rivalries. Let the NCAA run March Madness and everything else, but football has gotten too big. Given it's not ever going back to our father's NCAA football, cutting it loose may be the best solution. And for traditionalists, Those outside the 64 can still play within the NCAA system. Maybe the Gang of 64 presidents pledge a percentage of revenue back to the NCAA to distribute. And let's not pretend like there is no revenue to be made from basketball and other sports, it's just not football money.

If it meant Maryland playing ACC basketball opponents again, but still raking in the revenue, I think I'd go for that.
    Yep - have organization with 64 Football schools. You would also have to have a different organization for the top Basketball schools. Some would not have teams in both organizations - based on how they support each sport. Some would have teams in each organization as they do support both teams to championship level.

A not insignificant portion are eagles fans as well. Was mad annoying not being a fan of either and seeing them drunk and belligerent with each other.

I assume you've been with PSU since well before the Sandusky scandal and for that I feel bad for you. I almost went to PSU myself, it was my state college choice. I would've likely sent money to that fucking charity.

It's really because of you I keep my trap shut about PSU on this board because there's no way I see being unbiased. That scandal is the biggest among many reasons I am no longer a fan of college football. Breaking away from the NCAA may help that a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I assume you've been with PSU since well before the Sandusky scandal and for that I feel bad for you. I almost went to PSU myself, it was my state college choice. I would've likely sent money to that fucking charity.

It's really because of you I keep my trap shut about PSU on this board because there's no way I see being unbiased. That scandal is the biggest among many reasons I am no longer a fan of college football. Breaking away from the NCAA may help that a bit.
    Tbh, I never even heard of that charity before everything came to light, but I also was only out of school maybe 2 or 3 years at that point. That was actually what triggered my wife and I took start following the ravens.

I am still a fan of the team, but admittedly don't follow as closely as I used to. Like I'm learning who the new players are the first couple games now. I can see where you're at on college football though. Seems like every couple years there's a new scandal with people being victimized to protect a football program.

Blog Entries

the Athletic had an interesting slant on things...

Say you hear “Succession” and “Westworld” just ditched HBO for Netflix. You love “Succession.” You’d been holding out on Netflix, but they finally got you. The mechanics are a little different, but imagine that at least one college football “TV show” you like, call it USC or UCLA, ditches the Pac-12 for another conference. Consider:

・College football teams are shows. Think of a college football team as a serialized show with 12 to 14 episodes per season to be sold to a network or streaming service. Maybe it’s a great show. But it needs some help from other great shows to cash in long-term.

・Conferences are content bundles. Hence, the help! So the SEC adding Texas and Oklahoma is like adding two shows with big audiences to a solid lineup of other programming. The better your show lineup, the more you charge, the more you get paid. In 2022, as USC and UCLA remind us, it's not geography, it's abouttotal audience.

“I think we could ultimately end up with two enormous conferences, one called ESPN and one called Fox,” said Martin, as chronicled in this piece by Adam Himmelsbach, then of the New York Times and now with The Boston Globe. “I’m not exactly sure what we do about it.”

https://theathletic.com/3397692/2022...mpaign=4572897

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!