Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1718192021 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Jaylon Ferguson dead

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBasedFan View Post
    The best move I ever made was introducing my kid to a woman I went to school with. She was a stunningly beautiful girl who wound up with a serious cocaine habit back in the 80s. By 2000 she got herself straight but looked like she was 75-80 years old instead of late 40s. She flat out told my son "look at me". She told him she didnt know a single person who tried drugs who intended to become a junkie. She also made it clear that she had nothing in her life, she was struggling week to week just to survive and at her age that was probably the best she could ever hope for.

It had a profound effect on him and I will be eternally gratefull to her.
    It's like the PSA commercials the Marlboro Man did when he was dying of cancer. I know those hit me hard

Blog Entries

I don't hold Jaylon in any low regard. When I was a bartender in Annapolis, MD it was no big thing to do a bump when I was 26. Now a days, they put fucking poison into anything. Not saying drugs aren't poison to begin with, being a football player means you may need to knock off shit like that. No one cares about the lowly bartender that succumbed to drugs. Two of the bartenders I used to know and hang with are dead today.

All those who want to judge Jaylon, save it for yourself. He was a kid in my eyes that did something half the politicians in D.C. are doing now, plus most of Hollywood. He was unlucky. I am sure he would have eventually grew out of it, as most do.

The hypocrisy of the NFL fans is laughable. It is said that Lawerence Taylor would do a line or two before a game! Talk about performance enhancing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I don't hold Jaylon in any low regard. When I was a bartender in Annapolis, MD it was no big thing to do a bump when I was 26. Now a days, they put fucking poison into anything. Not saying drugs aren't poison to begin with, being a football player means you may need to knock off shit like that. No one cares about the lowly bartender that succumbed to drugs. Two of the bartenders I used to know and hang with are dead today.

All those who want to judge Jaylon, save it for yourself. He was a kid in my eyes that did something half the politicians in D.C. are doing now, plus most of Hollywood. He was unlucky. I am sure he would have eventually grew out of it, as most do.

The hypocrisy of the NFL fans is laughable. It is said that Lawerence Taylor would do a line or two before a game! Talk about performance enhancing.
    Great points.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post

The only issue I have with Jaylon is that he was a father. I know when I got married and then became a father there was a new weight and pressure that impacted everything I did. I'd stay with a job I hated because I needed the money. I stopped going to the bars because I had little kids I was taking care of. I even remember getting into a fight with a good friend on mine over World of Warcraft. He said that I had an obligation to be there for my guild and stopping at midnight in the middle of something was not the commitment they were looking for. I told him my obligation was to my family which meant being fresh for work and quit the next day,

Jaylon obviously had issues but you always hope that when you have young kids relying on you if forces you to get help. Addiction is tough. Even with the best of intentions you don't always beat those demons. I feel bad for Jaylon but I feel worse for the family he left behind.

Anybody doing recreational pharmaceuticals places themselves in the position for fentanyl poisoning. The illegal market is using fentanyl to 'cut' everything they are selling.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The only issue I have with Jaylon is that he was a father. I know when I got married and then became a father there was a new weight and pressure that impacted everything I did. I'd stay with a job I hated because I needed the money. I stopped going to the bars because I had little kids I was taking care of. I even remember getting into a fight with a good friend on mine over World of Warcraft. He said that I had an obligation to be there for my guild and stopping at midnight in the middle of something was not the commitment they were looking for. I told him my obligation was to my family which meant being fresh for work and quit the next day,

Jaylon obviously had issues but you always hope that when you have young kids relying on you if forces you to get help. Addiction is tough. Even with the best of intentions you don't always beat those demons. I feel bad for Jaylon but I feel worse for the family he left behind.
    I hear you, having kids doesn't make anyone more responsible. Kids having kids is always a bad idea. I know, I know, he was a man. Rare do growing up and having kids go hand in hand. If anything, sometimes having a family only increases the pressure. It is a bad and sad thing. I just hate the society of judging every damn person that fell victim to what was an accident.

I am an atheist and even I know if the fictional character of Jesus existed, the way I have grown up and interpreted him is that you have to forgive. Especially now that the young man is gone. Yet the vast majority of people who will condemn him and others who have fallen under similar circumstances are the same people that call themselves Christians.

Not trying to turn this into a religious debate, but when I see wisdom, wherever it comes, be it a book, a movie, or an acid flashback. None of this ends with Jaylon Furgeson. There is no future war on drugs. People need to come to terms with it is a death sentence to even try now a days.

There are two types of judgements. There is judging a decision as good or bad. And then there is judging a person as good or bad.

I'm okay with anyone who wants to talk about this as a bad decision and wants to talk about the consequences of bad decisions and the lessons for others.

I'm not okay with anyone who wants to talk about Ferguson's character what kind of person could make this decision. To the Captain's point, we all live in glass houses.

The conversation in this thread prompted me to turn on a Netflix documentary last night, The Pharmacist, about a father who lost his twenty-something year-old son in New Orleans when he went to down to the Ninth Ward to buy opiods and got shot. Seemed like a good kid who made bad decisions that crushed his family. The father has been on a twenty year quest to solicit help ending the opioid madness. I couldn't even keep watching because it is so sad. But the point is, let's honor those we've lost from this scourge, not point fingers.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    I don't understand it. Don't they just end up very likely killing their customers off? Seems like a lousy business plan. I know you're just relaying information that is probably very true..... it's just so damn stupid.
    Unfortunately, a business plan that thrives on an inexhaustible supply of stupid and cheap raw materials has a good chance of succeeding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post

More great points. I worked at a job I hated for years because of my children If it weren't for them, I definitely would have flipped my boss off and quit. I to this day believe that without my family, I wouldn't be the man I am today.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

I used to say there is nothing more amusing than listening to a bunch of 32 year olds conversing as if they are adults. I stopped saying it because it is unfair, but my point is that learning how to be an adult isn't easy.
    "That's what."
    — She

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I'm not okay with anyone who wants to talk about Ferguson's character what kind of person could make this decision. To the Captain's point, we all live in glass houses.
    Exactly. People have amnesia (I have actually had it!) to the things they did over their lives. It is so easy to judge a 26 year old. My friends, he was judged. Let us all thank the stars all the stupid things we did, our friends, or family over the entirety of our lives did not pay so heavy a price.

I used to say there is nothing more amusing than listening to a bunch of 32 year olds conversing as if they are adults. I stopped saying it because it is unfair, but my point is that learning how to be an adult isn't easy.
    Yeah, I go to the bar and listen to these kids and think, man when I was tending bar, you weren't even big enough to put in a stroller!

Blog Entries

There are two types of judgements. There is judging a decision as good or bad. And then there is judging a person as good or bad.

I'm okay with anyone who wants to talk about this as a bad decision and wants to talk about the consequences of bad decisions and the lessons for others.

The conversation in this thread prompted me to turn on a Netflix documentary last night, The Pharmacist, about a father who lost his twenty-something year-old son in New Orleans when he went to down to the Ninth Ward to buy opiods and got shot. Seemed like a good kid who made bad decisions that crushed his family. The father has been on a twenty year quest to solicit help ending the opioid madness. I couldn't even keep watching because it is so sad. But the point is, let's honor those we've lost from this scourge, not point fingers.
    Based on the comments that I've read in this thread it's overwhelming in the 'good person made a bad decision' camp. I'm not reading finger pointing except at that asshole drug dealer who Jaylon got the stuff from. Everyone is just very sad that this occurred. It's brutal watching someone so young die for no reason