Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Owner Steve Bisciotti interview with Marlon Humphrey

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Since Bisciotti flat out said he wanted a pass rusher there, I assumed that would have been the Jermaine Johnson, who went on the next pick to the Jets. (It's possible George Karlaftis was his guy, I guess, who went to KC at 30).

There were plenty on this board who were losing their minds that Johnson was still on the board and we still passed on him. He'd qualify as more of a splash pick to me. I had come to the conclusion that he's not going to be an effective pass rusher in the NFL. He played the run well at FSU but didn't have any effective pass rush moves and most of his sacks were based on the ability to chase down QBs when plays broke down.

Anyway, will be fun to see what happens with Linderbaum versus Johnson.

That's the other, "what if" pick I'm interested in following over time. I'm hearing the veteran players are starting to talk up Likely. It's crazy that the team has a history of taking two tight ends in the same draft and discovering that the second player taken is better than the first.

2010: Pitta>Dickson
    2015: Boyle>Williams. (you might even argue Waller>Boyle>Williams)
    2018: Andrews>Hurst
    2022 (?): Likely>Kolar ?
    Johnson was off the boards for a lot of teams due to red flags. Interesting how Bisciotti said EDC will just tell him that a player has "discipline problems" because it might have been about that guy in particular lol.

That's the other, "what if" pick I'm interested in following over time. I'm hearing the veteran players are starting to talk up Likely. It's crazy that the team has a history of taking two tight ends in the same draft and discovering that the second player taken is better than the first.

2010: Pitta>Dickson
    2015: Boyle>Williams. (you might even argue Waller>Boyle>Williams)
    2018: Andrews>Hurst
    2022 (?): Likely>Kolar ?
    So all the Ravens need to do is pick 4 or 5 TEs in one draft and the last one will be a guaranteed Hall of Famer?

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Hearing “nucular” from an elected official puts me at DEFCON 1.
    Jimmy Carter was famous for that. NEVER learned to pronounce the damned word correctly, and he was President of the country in an era where that word came up often. He was also probably one of the brightest people to ever occupy the White House.

People have dialects which is fine. But there is such a thing as American English. Newscasters are trained in it. It's the "accent-less" English that foreign actors usually adopt. And there are objective rules to it. The fact that everyone speaks differently from the Queen's English doesn't mean that everything is therefore correct.

If Marlon wants a career as a color analyst or frequent guest on GMFB or something, he's fine. But if he wants to do something like what Studio 44 is trying to be -- like a Greg Gumbel/Bob Costas kind of show where he is the actual *host* -- he's going to have to clean that stuff up.

For the interview itself: absolutely fantastic. So glad to have Steve B as our owner.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Jimmy Carter was famous for that. NEVER learned to pronounce the damned word correctly, and he was President of the country in an era where that word came up often. He was also probably one of the brightest people to ever occupy the White House.

People have dialects which is fine. But there is such a thing as American English. Newscasters are trained in it. It's the "accent-less" English that foreign actors usually adopt. And there are objective rules to it. The fact that everyone speaks differently from the Queen's English doesn't mean that everything is therefore correct.

If Marlon wants a career as a color analyst or frequent guest on GMFB or something, he's fine. But if he wants to do something like what Studio 44 is trying to be -- like a Greg Gumbel/Bob Costas kind of show where he is the actual *host* -- he's going to have to clean that stuff up.

For the interview itself: absolutely fantastic. So glad to have Steve B as our owner.
    As a genuine nuclear engineer - Carter can say it anyway he wants to.

I would disagree in as much as I believe the Bob Costas / Greg Gumbels are going the way of the do-do

Nowadays with so many options for sports media, and media in general, from network to cable to big streaming to microcasting from individual content creators, you better stick out. Be authentic, have a point of view, etc. The straight man play by play queens english objective host stuff is almost dead

Most interesting tidbit was that Bisciotti wanted an EDGE rusher over Linderbaum.

I also liked he was humble enough to use the analogy that he's looking for girls to date and Eric is looking for a long-term marriage. He knows he's just a fan in many respects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    Hopefully that becomes his Lawrence Phillips story and Tyler goes on the an awesome career.
    The great part is the Ravens got one of the top pass rushers in the draft anyway in David Ojabo!

He was a naval academy trained nuclear engineer if I am correct…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mddisney1 View Post
    He was a naval academy trained nuclear engineer if I am correct…
    Close but not quite. He was at the USNA from '43-'46 and later served as a sub radar officer before being discharged honorably in '53. The first U.S. nuclear sub was commissioned in '54.
    "That's what."
    — She

Quote Originally Posted by 757RavensFan View Post
    Considering that people from Baltimore have one of the craziest accents ever, its funny to read criticism on how Humphrey says "asking".
    This!