Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Owner Steve Bisciotti interview with Marlon Humphrey

Amen Cap, Balee dat
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My choice to disregard someones broadcast because they do not speak correctly is my choice. It is not an accent, it is purposeful and lazy to not say the word correctly. I went to school with def kids that struggled to learn and pronounce words correctly, if they can do it, a multimillionaire that wants to be in broadcasting can do it too.

As for wanting to hear what he had to say, absolutely I wanted to hear, why I listened. Please do not presume to know me. I have traveled the entire world, heard many dialects. I had co-workers in Russia, Ireland, Scotland, England, and Australia. There are many words that the pronounced differently, but it was an entire society that said the words a different way. "Saw" is said "Saur" by most of the Brits. I won't even get into Scottish.

Point is, if a person wants to be taken seriously, make an effort to speak properly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Seems like the way Shannon Sharp speaks has worked out for him.
    I have no problem, but I have read or heard others say they can't understand Shannon. Also remember, he is a super star tight end from the NFL. A lot different when someone is in a job interview and not using correct grammar. It goes a long way in a lot of different realms speaking correctly.

Seems like the way Shannon Sharp speaks has worked out for him.
    Exactly. Being his authentic self.

Again, I have relatives that say "xspecially". Drives me nuts. Do I use slang? Of course. I am not trying to promote myself either on a video podcast or whatever. If being "hood" and 100%, by speaking that way is geared for that audience, then hats off to him. Clearly I am not his audience.

Additionally, my brother had a speech impediment. I spent a lot of time helping him as did his speech therapist. So don't have a lot of empathy for those with the ability to speak correctly choose not to.
    I don't even think it's a hood or 100% kind of thing for ASK in particular. As I said, I've come across it from all backgrounds educationally and economically. It's an interesting case study on language if you ask me. Just that particular word. I think there is more to it than just linguistic laziness.

Anywho...
    The interview was pretty cool and interesting. No earth shattering scoops or anything like that, but a good opportunity to hear the owner speak directly and kind of shoot from the hip. Couple of things I found interesting is how Steve values consistency. How he views himself as a sounding board for Harbs. And that he places value on them being together for 15 years.
    How important character really seems to be for him when evaluating prospects. Says he loves watching tape and then distilling it down to "character" guys. I think his line was, (paraphrasing) "If the people at Alabama don't like you, I don't care what your tape looks like". Dispels a little bit of the myth that it's only Harbaugh driving the "high character" bus.

Loved his line that the only thing better than being rich and famous is being rich. Fame gets you nothing.

Also interesting that he doesn't plan on the Ravens being a family legacy type of franchise. Says he didn't want to indoctrinate his sons into feeling like they needed to be stewards of this great Baltimore treasure. Pretty certain that he will sell the franchise in the future.

I was going to say that there is probably a segment of the fanbase and society in general that believes LJ is not smart based on the way he talks. I encountered several south Florida guys during my time in the Army and that is just how they talk. It's in no way a measure of their intelligence. I see Cyclops sarcastically chimed in to drive that point home

Blog Entries

All fair points. I guess I am just jaded through experiences with others that had to work at speaking.

Man, I hope Steve doesn't sell the team anytime soon, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does in the next 10 years.

Blog Entries

Steve Biscotti is someone America should be proud of.

The closest it gets to the Lamar situation (which isn't close at all) Humphrey goes into an interesting scenario....

Humphrey asked if you could pick out of Ray, Ed or Suggs to be on a deserted island for a month with him, he'd pick Ray.... if it was out of him, Andrews and Lamar on today's team, he'd pick Humphrey because he has got to know Humphrey more than Mark or Lamar, and if I heared correctlyhe even said he hasnt gotten to know Mark or Lamar that well personally (paraphrasing). That obviously reinforces the idea that Lamar is truly very private (people should live by their own values to pursue their own happiness)... but he is the star QB of the franchise who they plan on paying a lot of money for. You would have thought the owner and the QB would have more of a personal relationship...

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    I see Cyclops sarcastically chimed in to drive that point home
    Thank you for not quoting it.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Steve Biscotti is someone America should be proud of.

The closest it gets to the Lamar situation (which isn't close at all) Humphrey goes into an interesting scenario....

Humphrey asked if you could pick out of Ray, Ed or Suggs to be on a deserted island for a month with him, he'd pick Ray.... if it was out of him, Andrews and Lamar on today's team, he'd pick Humphrey because he has got to know Humphrey more than Mark or Lamar, and if I heared correctlyhe even said he hasnt gotten to know Mark or Lamar that well personally (paraphrasing). That obviously reinforces the idea that Lamar is truly very private (people should live by their own values to pursue their own happiness)... but he is the star QB of the franchise who they plan on paying a lot of money for. You would have thought the owner and the QB would have more of a personal relationship...
    Maybe. Lamar from most accounts is a very private person while Marlon is very gregarious and clearly angling towards a career in media after football. So that will tend to lead him to be more open and geared towards establishing stronger relationships with upper management as well as other media types. Also, to be fair, that entire segment Steve seemed focused on who could protect him better if deserted somewhere. I also wonder if the relationship with the owner deepens AFTER you sign that second contract. At that point the team has made a serious commitment to you and you to the team. Lamar may be the franchise QB, but we haven't crossed the commitment bridge just yet...

I have no problem, but I have read or heard others say they can't understand Shannon. Also remember, he is a super star tight end from the NFL. A lot different when someone is in a job interview and not using correct grammar. It goes a long way in a lot of different realms speaking correctly.
    I get it, I just think it would be really boring if these guys weren’t authentic and themselves. I like feeling like I’m at the barbershop talking about football or whatever else. I do understand not everybody is comfortable with that and would rather 100% professionalism at all times though.

Blog Entries

I get it, I just think it would be really boring if these guys weren’t authentic and themselves. I like feeling like I’m at the barbershop talking about football or whatever else. I do understand not everybody is comfortable with that and would rather 100% professionalism at all times though.
    I get triggered when chefs mispronounce vinaigrette on cooking shows.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    Maybe. Lamar from most accounts is a very private person while Marlon is very gregarious and clearly angling towards a career in media after football. So that will tend to lead him to be more open and geared towards establishing stronger relationships with upper management as well as other media types. Also, to be fair, that entire segment Steve seemed focused on who could protect him better if deserted somewhere. I also wonder if the relationship with the owner deepens AFTER you sign that second contract. At that point the team has made a serious commitment to you and you to the team. Lamar may be the franchise QB, but we haven't crossed the commitment bridge just yet...
    That's what I would think as well. Hopefully it happens... but I do think Lamar is one of those guys that is hard to get hold of when he's not around the facility etc. It's definitely a unique situation that is probably causing some difficulties into getting a contract done especially when he doesn't have an agent.